Change default for registrationRequired?

Martin Grotzke

Feb 1, 2017, 3:45:01 PM2/1/17
to kryo-users
Hi all,

here are some questions where are looking for your feedback:

* what is the setting for setRegistrationRequired that you're using? (the default currently is false)

* would you be comfortable with the default for registrationRequired being changed to true?

* what are other settings that you'd like to see set differently by default?

Cheers,
Martin

PS the issue for the registrationRequired=true default is https://github.com/EsotericSoftware/kryo/issues/398

Ian O'Connell

Feb 1, 2017, 6:29:00 PM2/1/17
to kryo-users
For Chill/Scalding

* default registration required i false. Anything else would be very painful for something like scalding (and Spark too), functions are typed in a way that doesn't leak full tree's. Users are mostly un aware of the existence of Kryo. Users incur a performance hit via lack of registration, but the convenience far out weighs that.
* Changing the default I would be -1 on. We can stick the false default in a few places, but given this winds up being runtime failures for people around a setting it feels unnecessary to me. Better than corruption, but users can set it if they are concerned about security in any default builder for their Kryo.
* Nothing springs to mind currently

Nate

Jul 16, 2017, 10:58:25 AM7/16/17
to kryo-users
I think it makes sense to make registration required by default for security and performance reasons, as described in the blog post. Chill/Scalding and other projects can configure Kryo differently and is their responsibility for understanding the ramifications.

-Nate