v2.7.0

Nikita Melnichenko

Feb 15, 2018, 1:33:40 AM2/15/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Hi Krew,

I've noticed that there were no releases for a while. I think many users
will appreciate the work that is done during the past months, however
the majority of them depend on package maintainers of their
distributions that usually prefer to wait for stable releases. I propose
we work together to bring a stable version to live and I volunteer to
drive this effort. Here is my plan:

1. Discuss and decide on the feature freeze for v2.7.0.
2. Clean up bugs. There are 130 open bugs (see attached) and only 38 of
them were changed after v2.6 is released. In the following 2-3 weeks
I'll focus on going through at least these 38 and check if they repro or
not, request additional info, etc.
3. Discuss and decide which bugs of the remaining ones we are going to
work on before the release and assign people. IMO, we can focus on a few
really ugly or easy-to-fix bugs and leave other bugs to the further
2.7.x releases. It would be nice if we could setup target milestones in
bugzilla for this purpose.
4. Work on the bugs.
5. Release.
6. Profit!

How does the plan look like? Are you interested in the release at all?
Please feel free to post any feedback.

Thanks,
Nikita.

bugs-2018-02-15.csv

Martin Kotelnik

Feb 15, 2018, 7:24:42 PM2/15/18
to krusader-devel
Hi Nikita,

I'm definitely interested in releasing a new version. It was actually kind of planned during Christmas.

Anyway the plan you drawn looks good to me. Thanks for volunteering to drive the effort! Also thanks for summarizing the bugs.

Before feature freeze:
  1. I'd like to land D10307 - I'm fixing a small bug there, otherwise it is finished
  2. We should also decide, what to do with icon-theme topic - discussion here: D10352 (it should clear up some bugs from your bug summary)
  3. This is another finished feature to land: D9041, it waits for original author to land it. If he doesn't answer we can push it with his name in the commit message at least.
  4. Am I missing something?

For now I don't recall any major issues that would stand in a way of stable release. But I'll have a look into the bug-list.

The current release name is "Stiff Challenges". Any ideas about the next one? :-)

Toni Asensi Esteve

Feb 16, 2018, 5:41:54 AM2/16/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com

Hi!

> I'm definitely interested in releasing a new version. [...]

I also think that's an excellent idea! There are some bugs that have been solved after the last release.

> It was actually kind

> of planned during Christmas.

Alex Bikadorov wote in the "krusader-users" mailing list:

Date: 12-11-17 18:06

Subject: Re: [krusader-users] dir size is gone...

This feature was already re-added (with commit c447f1813f2) but no new release is published yet.

I hope I can manage a new release around christmas.

so he may have tasks already done.

Greetings!

nik...@melnichenko.name

Feb 17, 2018, 2:20:19 AM2/17/18
to krusader-devel
Hi Martin, Toni,

Thanks for your replies. I'm glad that you're supporting the idea and the plan.

As for the feature freeze, I'm totally fine about landing the work that is almost done. I don't see any other open code reviews about new features, so what Martin has listed is likely a complete list. To other devs: if you're working on something in your local repository, please let us know ASAP!

Let's wait for a week and make Feb 25th the feature freeze date. It means that any new feature that is not a bug fix and suggested after the date won't be accepted for the v2.7.0. Any revisions opened before the date are fine to be merged into the RC (release candidate), of course.

For the release name, I haven't thought about it yet. Good point! We need to come up with something cool.

I'm working on revising the open bugs. My strategy is about trying to confirm them one by one. In case I can't, I request additional info from the reporters if possible. This way we can also estimate the importance of the issues to the reporters themselves.

Thanks,
Nikita.

Nikita Melnichenko

Feb 25, 2018, 2:28:54 AM2/25/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This is an update regarding the progress towards the release.

This was the plan:

1. Discuss and decide on the feature freeze for v2.7.0.
2. Clean up bugs. There are 130 open bugs (see attached) and only 38 of
them were changed after v2.6 is released. In the following 2-3 weeks
I'll focus on going through at least these 38 and check if they repro or
not, request additional info, etc.
3. Discuss and decide which bugs of the remaining ones we are going to
work on before the release and assign people. IMO, we can focus on a few
really ugly or easy-to-fix bugs and leave other bugs to the further
2.7.x releases. It would be nice if we could setup target milestones in
bugzilla for this purpose.
4. Work on the bugs.
5. Release.
6. Profit!
Consider #1 and #2 done. I've attached the list of bugs we should review at the step #3 - you can use this search in bugzilla to get an updated list later if needed. All of these 28 bugs have been confirmed whenever possible in case they were in Unconfirmed state before. Exceptions are #389413 (crash that can't be normally reproduced but I'm following up to understand what happens on the user's side) and 3 bugs (#39099{1,2,4}) among those I filed yesterday — a few things that bothered me for a while. Please go through the last three, try to confirm them and change the status in bugzilla accordingly.

Now, please review this list of bugs and share your opinion on what needs to be fixed before the release. If you wish to work on a particular bug, please assign yourself on bugzilla, so others know you're working on this. 3 of 28 bugs already have assignees, 1 is for me, 2 is for Alex (set some time ago), but I'm not sure if he has any time to work on these. Alex, if you read this, please let us know if you plan to work on these or we should reset Assignee to m...@fork.pl for consistency. I will share my opinion regarding the bugs soon to not mix with the announcements.

Today is the feature freeze date! Last chance to suggest a patch. Since last time we discussed the features, only one patch has been suggested that I'm aware of. It is "Add back search as you type too the bookmark menu" by rade. I haven't had time to check this patch but it would be fair if we consider it for inclusion into v2.7.0 RC.

Regarding the release name, please send your suggestions. My favourite among what I could think of so far is "Peace of Mind". What's yours?

Thanks,
Nikita.
bugs-2018-02-25-after-v2.6.csv

Martin Kotelnik

Feb 26, 2018, 5:39:19 PM2/26/18
to krusader-devel
Hello, Krew!

Nikita, that was awesome bug-run you've made, big thanks for that! Of course thanks to the rest of Krew for chipping in and continuous work :).

Currently I'm clueless about bug 389413 and haven't got much time to investigate, sorry. As for 39099{1,3,4} I'm confirming all three bugs on my setup.

I've looked on the list of bugs you referenced. None of them seems to me that much crutial to solve before a stable release, although it would of course be nice to have some of them solved. I don't know how much time I'll have in upcoming days so I've assigned myself to a really easy one (308351) for now. In ideal world it would be nice if bug 300211 was solved, too. But this can probably be postponed for a proper synchronizer rework. Alex was planning to do that but I'm not sure if he has time for that anymore. Otherwise I'll try to make some free time and do that, surely it'll be adventurous :).

ad Feature freeze) Hopefully we can still consider addition of pinned-tabs (https://phabricator.kde.org/D10307). From my part it is finished, it just waits for review. I've just tried the rade's patch (search as-you-type in bookmarks), It seems to work just fine, I'll have it enabled for some more time for testing.

Release name: I was thinking "Winter Sessions" but I actually like your idea better. So my vote for now is for your "Peace of Mind". This is also the first 3-word release name of Krusader, which is a nice change. Just for info, I've summed up all the past release names from git history (order by timestamp desc):
Stiff Challenges
Clear Skies
Single Step
Giant Steps
Migration
New Horizons
DeKade
Second Gear
Rusty Clutch
Mars Pathfinder
Space Odyssey
Phoenix' Egg

Nikita Melnichenko

Feb 28, 2018, 2:46:59 AM2/28/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin and the Krew,

Thanks for looking through the bug list and thanks for taking on some of them. I agree there is nothing very serious, however I suggest we focus on the following items with the goal of releasing the next stable version:

  • D10307 (aka Pinned Tabs) - I reviewed the code (thanks for addressing my comments, Martin!) and going to test some time this week; it would be nice if other devs can check the code and test it; I encouraged user BR4TO92 to test it and he/she agreed - let's continue to help him/her set it up.
  • D10352 (aka Missing Icons issue) - I think this is important for non-KDE users and it would be nice if our release will have some icon mitigation logic + will close several bug reports; Martin, did you have a chance to ask around? If so, please share links to the threads. This seems to be not easy problem. Let's try to solve it together. IMO, if it renders to be difficult to implement, it's worth to skip it, but we better try to tackle it one more time.
  • Rade's patch (aka Bookmark Search) - Thanks Martin for driving this. From what I read it seems to be a nice feature, however I didn't fully get the ampersand suggestion - let's discuss on Phabricator.
  • Bug 389413 (Krusader crashes when entering directories with read errors) - because it's a crash even though it's rare; I had another iteration on this, now waiting for the user to test it, since we don't have a way to repro it.
  • Bug 383545 (No confirmation for 'Deleting non-empty folders' from MTP device) - because it breaks the promise that the file manager is safe
  • Bug 384653 (Journal spammed with “kf5.kio.core: error() called twice! Please fix the KIO slave.”) - because it affects the system outside of krusader; I put some effort to repro it, it should be straightforward to debug it now - I'll likely do it soon (you'll know by the Assignee change)
  • Bug 386448 (With krarc:/ handler installed, Dolphin doesn't exit archive...) - because it affects the system outside of krusader, however it might be a Dolphin issue, it's hard to tell
  • Bug 390990 (Current item selection is lost after exiting from tar archives) - because it's annoying in everyday life if you browse archives as folders
  • Bug 390718 (KrViewer: Tab scrolling using arrows is not working when too many tabs are open) -
    because it's annoying in everyday life if you use KrViewer extensively; I'm not really sure if it's easy to fix though
  • Bug 390994 ([dev] Compiler warnings with gcc-6.4.0) - just from an engineering perspective, I prefer to have a code that compiles cleanly, and the issue is fairly easy resolve.
  • Bug 390991 (bookmark buttons on a toolbar disappear after closing Bookmark Editor) - it is my usage pattern and I'm planning to look into it soon if nobody takes it before
I agree with Martin regarding synchronizer. Personally I don't use it at all in favor of rsync-based solutions. If some of you use it and want to take on some bugs like the Bug 300211, it's good. If not, it's also ok as the component needs a proper rework which we don't plan to include into the release.

What do you think? Does the focus list sound reasonable to you? Let me know if something is close to your area of expertise and you'll able to help. Please review the bug list if you haven't done it already and let us know if something concerns you. Let's decide on the focus list by the EOW. Thanks to all of you for your effort!

About the timeline: I propose we wrap up by the end of March and release in early April. I'm planning to drive the release preparation in case there are no objections and I'm currently setting up my schedule to accommodate it.

Thanks,
Nikita.

Nikita Melnichenko

Mar 4, 2018, 12:56:40 AM3/4/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Kindly ping...

I know it was a long email and I try to refrain myself from writing so long ones in the future as they sometimes don't get answered. I'd appreciate if you let me know if the focus list looks reasonable to you or not.

Yuri Chornoivan

Mar 4, 2018, 2:12:06 AM3/4/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
неділя, 4 березня 2018 р. 07:56:36 EET, Nikita Melnichenko було написано
таке:
> Kindly ping...
>
> I know it was a long email and I try to refrain myself from writing so
> long ones in the future as they sometimes don't get answered. I'd
> appreciate if you let me know if the focus list looks reasonable to you
> or not.

Hi,

I think it's a common practice: no answer should be treated as "yes, we
agree". ;)

Best regards,
Yuri

> On 27.02.2018 23:46, Nikita Melnichenko wrote:
>> Hi Martin and the Krew,
>>
>> Thanks for looking through the bug list and thanks for taking on some
>> of them. I agree there is nothing very serious, however I suggest we
>> focus on the following items with the goal of releasing the next
>> stable version: ...

Martin Kotelnik

Mar 4, 2018, 5:47:22 AM3/4/18
to krusader-devel
I believe it is like Yuri said, we agree.

As for me, Nikita, I'm sorry I didn't yet answered because I was trying to gather more info before I do that. But you are right, it is better to answer sooner with a status and opinions then late with potentially some results (if any:-) ).
  • D10307 (aka Pinned Tabs): thanks for your review and testing!
  • D10352 (aka Missing Icons issue): it took me a while, sorry. Finally I did ask on kde-frameworks-devel: https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-frameworks-devel/2018-March/058241.html
    • We have an answer from Albert Astals Cid. Please review it. My understanding is that there is no best way to handle our situation - e.g. mixing themes is probably not preferable.
    • The actual standard and supported way is probably placing all the non-standard icons to hicolor theme inside Krusader. My opinion is we implement a Konfigurator option to change the default icon theme for Krusader. So every user can change it to some other installed theme. That way we don't have to duplicate breeze/oxygen icons to hicolor, we don't have to implement mixing themes and we address the issue by leaving user the choice to select a supported theme. Of course nice-to-have would be to design universally-looking hicolor image for every missing icon. But that's a long-time task :).

I agree with the rest of your proposals including the timeline. I don't know yet what I manage to do from the list but I'll try my best.

I use synchronizer extensively so this will be my next target - but probably after our stable release. I'd like to rewrite its code-base and don't want to introduce new bugs.

Kind regards,

Martin

Nikita Melnichenko

Mar 5, 2018, 3:13:12 AM3/5/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Yuri, Martin - thanks for the confirmation. Now I'm aware of this common
practice. Let's consider this step as done and work together to solve as
many issues as possible considering everyone's time constraints.

Martin, thanks for starting the thread about icons. Albert's answer is
fuzzy, let's wait for any other replies. KF-devel may not be the best
place to ask this type of questions since they likely work on KDE-only
solutions most of the time. It would be nice to find a forum / list for
cross-DE apps that started as KDE apps — like digikam or marble. I'll
try to find one and also look into the icon loading code myself this
week — will let you know if I'm able to hack it successfully. Thanks for
driving this.

Nikita Melnichenko

Mar 20, 2018, 1:50:11 AM3/20/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
It's time for update. Here is the status:

  • D10307 (aka Pinned Tabs) - Done!
  • D10352 (aka Missing Icons issue) - No traction, likely won't be included into the release. It's ok as this will probably be in the focus for v2.7.1.
  • Rade's patch (aka Bookmark Search) - In progress, needs a review. The patch checked into the bookmark-search branch with further improvements. A few issues need to be resolved. It's on track: both Rade and I are working on this. Please take time to review the code on Phabricator (D11444, D11443 and upcoming).
  • Bug 389413 (Krusader crashes when entering directories with read errors) - Done!
  • Bug 383545 (No confirmation for 'Deleting non-empty folders' from MTP device) - No progress
  • Bug 384653 (Journal spammed with “kf5.kio.core: error() called twice! Please fix the KIO slave.”) - No progress.
    Krarc is tricky to debug.
  • Bug 386448 (With krarc:/ handler installed, Dolphin doesn't exit archive...) -
  • No progress. Krarc is tricky to debug.
  • Bug 390990 (Current item selection is lost after exiting from tar archives) - Done!
  • Bug 390718 (KrViewer: Tab scrolling using arrows is not working when too many tabs are open) - No progress
  • Bug 390994 ([dev] Compiler warnings with gcc-6.4.0) - Done!
  • Bug 390991 (bookmark buttons on a toolbar disappear after closing Bookmark Editor) - In progress, waiting for Bookmark Search to merge into the master to avoid unnecessary conflict.

I'd like to add a couple of more:

  • Bug 391283 (Changed and Accessed columns appear when switching from v2.6.0 to git version) - please confirm if this happens on your side. If this is reproducible, it would be important to fix for a smooth upgrade. Let's not frustrate our user base.
  • D11348 (aka Fix for the Del key) - In progress, needs a review. This a straightforward patch for a regression introduced after v2.6.0.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their time and effort into fixing the issues, reviewing the code and improving docs! This is a good progress and it will a solid release. A true Peace of Mind.

Best regards,
Nikita.

Nikita Melnichenko

Apr 24, 2018, 3:56:59 AM4/24/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com

Update:

    • D10307 (aka Pinned Tabs) - Done!
    • D10352 (aka Missing Icons issue) - Done!
    • Bookmark Search - Done!
    • Bug 389413 (Krusader crashes when entering directories with read errors) - Done!
    • Bug 383545 (No confirmation for 'Deleting non-empty folders' from MTP device) - Postponed.
    • Bug 384653 (Journal spammed with “kf5.kio.core: error() called twice! Please fix the KIO slave.”) - Postponed.
    • Bug 386448 (With krarc:/ handler installed, Dolphin doesn't exit archive...) - Postponed.
    • Bug 390990 (Current item selection is lost after exiting from tar archives) - Done!
    • Bug 390718 (KrViewer: Tab scrolling using arrows is not working when too many tabs are open) - Postponed.
    • Bug 390994 ([dev] Compiler warnings with gcc-6.4.0) - Done!
    • Bug 390991 (bookmark buttons on a toolbar disappear after closing Bookmark Editor) - Needs review!
    • Bug 391283 (Changed and Accessed columns appear when switching from v2.6.0 to git version) - No repro on Qt 5.9 or above.
    • D11348 (aka Fix for the Del key) - Done!

    As you see, I only plan to include one change (fix the bug 390991) before the release - please help to review. I'll be sending a series of CRs related to cleanup and aux / doc file updates. Then the final review with version change.

    I plan to release according to the wiki. I noticed it doesn't really cover translations and for previous releases Krew haven't handled them specifically (according to what I've learnt from the git log and this list history). Do you think we need to do something extra or we are good to go? BTW, I've found this status - is this for master branch?

    Who's current website maintainer? We need to figure how to update the site.

    Thanks,
    Nikita.

    Yuri Chornoivan

    Apr 24, 2018, 4:28:21 AM4/24/18
    to krusade...@googlegroups.com
    Yes, it is fine to go, but the release script should be tested first. I'll fix translations this evening to make the tarball buildable. ;)

     And yes, this is for master branch.

    It would be good to avoid the previous release case when the last minute changes were made to the docs, not giving us, translators even a chnce to translate the docs.

    Who's current website maintainer? We need to figure how to update the site.

    This must be easy. All we need is an access to the corresponding repo:

    And no, I do not have this access. :)

    Best regards,
    Yuri

    Yuri Chornoivan

    Apr 24, 2018, 1:02:45 PM4/24/18
[...]

    Ok. Translations are fixed now and the instructions from https://phabricator.kde.org/w/krusader/ are tested to work. Krusader 2.7.0 can be built and installed with all available translations.

    Nikita Melnichenko

    Apr 24, 2018, 1:54:54 PM4/24/18
    to krusade...@googlegroups.com
    inline

    I plan to release according to the wiki. I noticed it doesn't really cover translations and for previous releases Krew haven't handled them specifically (according to what I've learnt from the git log and this list history). Do you think we need to do something extra or we are good to go? BTW, I've found this status - is this for master branch?

    Yes, it is fine to go, but the release script should be tested first. I'll fix translations this evening to make the tarball buildable. ;)

    Ok. Translations are fixed now and the instructions from https://phabricator.kde.org/w/krusader/ are tested to work. Krusader 2.7.0 can be built and installed with all available translations.

    I'm curious where and what you fixed. Please let me know as it will help me in understanding the system.

     And yes, this is for master branch.

    It would be good to avoid the previous release case when the last minute changes were made to the docs, not giving us, translators even a chnce to translate the docs.

    Got it. I'll confirm with you before the release to be sure.

    Question regarding translation status link - is it only for app strings or docs processed there too? Where can I see actual translations (.po files and .docbook files)?

    Who's current website maintainer? We need to figure how to update the site.

    This must be easy. All we need is an access to the corresponding repo:

    And no, I do not have this access. :)

    Best regards,
    Yuri

    I see Alex and Toni were able to commit. Guys, please let me know how to get access.

    Thanks,
    Nikita.

    Yuri Chornoivan

    Apr 24, 2018, 3:13:15 PM4/24/18
    to krusade...@googlegroups.com
    inline

    I plan to release according to the wiki. I noticed it doesn't really cover translations and for previous releases Krew haven't handled them specifically (according to what I've learnt from the git log and this list history). Do you think we need to do something extra or we are good to go? BTW, I've found this status - is this for master branch?

    Yes, it is fine to go, but the release script should be tested first. I'll fix translations this evening to make the tarball buildable. ;)

    Ok. Translations are fixed now and the instructions from https://phabricator.kde.org/w/krusader/ are tested to work. Krusader 2.7.0 can be built and installed with all available translations.

    I'm curious where and what you fixed. Please let me know as it will help me in understanding the system.

    In the translation Subversion:

    KDE translation teams should create translated docbooks by themselves. They should run from /scripts folder like this:

    ./scripts/update_xml uk extragear-utils

    Portuguese (pt) team does not run the script for some reason (or not). The team itself is very strange (I have watched for them for 14 years, they were always like this). I have fixed PO and re-run update_xml.sh.

    The fix:

    The Dutch (nl) is frequently updated but contained a minor mistake which was not detected by Freek de Kruijf.

    The fix:

     And yes, this is for master branch.

    It would be good to avoid the previous release case when the last minute changes were made to the docs, not giving us, translators even a chnce to translate the docs.

    Got it. I'll confirm with you before the release to be sure.

    Question regarding translation status link - is it only for app strings or docs processed there too? Where can I see actual translations (.po files and .docbook files)?

    Yes, everything is processed on l10n.kde.org (see the right hand panel).

    Interface translation is divided onto three parts: 1 distributed krusader.po and 2 undistributable processed by scripty (the translation script) parts, desktop_extragear-utils_krusader.po and org.kde.krusader.appdata.po.

    Docs translations are here:

    Only 100% translations at some point are accepted.

    Best regards,
    Yuri

    Who's current website maintainer? We need to figure how to update the site.

    This must be easy. All we need is an access to the corresponding repo:

    And no, I do not have this access. :)

    Best regards,
    Yuri

    I see Alex and Toni were able to commit. Guys, please let me know how to get access.

    Thanks,
    Nikita.

    Nikita Melnichenko

    Apr 24, 2018, 4:24:42 PM4/24/18
    to krusade...@googlegroups.com
    Thanks for the explanation and for the fixes Yuri!

    Toni Asensi Esteve

    Apr 25, 2018, 7:56:42 AM4/25/18
    to krusade...@googlegroups.com
    Hi!

    > >> This must be easy. All we need is an access to the corresponding repo:
    > >>
    > >> https://cgit.kde.org/websites/krusader-org.git/
    > >>
    > >> And no, I do not have this access. :)
    > >>
    > >> Best regards,
    > >> Yuri
    >
    > I see Alex and Toni were able to commit. Guys, please let me know how to
    > get access.

    :-) On Jan. 16, 2017, Alex Bikadorov wrote to me that he asked KDE sysadmins
    to grant me access to the repo (git.kde.org:websites/krusader-org). Anyone of
    you can try asking them (and, meanwhile, you can send me the new pages and I
    can upload them, for example).

    Greetings:
    Toni

    Nikita Melnichenko

    Apr 28, 2018, 5:20:02 AM4/28/18
    to krusade...@googlegroups.com, Yuri Chornoivan
    Alright, we entered the string-freeze and doc-freeze stage.

    Yuri, please notify translator teams accordingly. The date of the
    release is going to be 2018-05-13.

    Yuri Chornoivan

    Apr 28, 2018, 5:53:10 AM4/28/18
    to krusade...@googlegroups.com