Phones???

Dustin Locke

Jun 5, 2012, 4:08:30 PM6/5/12
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Guys,
I apologize for all the questions, however I am trying to tie all the loose ends together here before massing our supplies for the great journey. My first question is one on compatibility. Can Kobo Collect be ran on IPhones, and if so how? If the surveys can not be administered on IPhones then what is the best way of acquiring phones for cheap? Do you guys recommend Craigslist and ebay style purchases or are there other ways of obtaining phones for this purpose in which you can direct us? We will only need 10-14 units and we are working on a non existent budget unfortunately... "Meaning money is tight, really tight." Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks again for everything

Dustin Locke

Oh one more question... Can this XML survey by chance be ran in conjunction with ArcPad?

Neil Hendrick

Jun 6, 2012, 1:26:11 PM6/6/12
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Dustin,

You can run KoBoCollect even on very low-grade Android phones. It is not very demanding.
You want to make sure you are buying unlocked phones, which can be found on Amazon, NewEgg, etc. for less than $100.

Make sure the phone comes with an SDcard, or you buy one separately.

There is also an Android Marketplace for used phones called http://swappa.com/
I haven't bought anything from there, but friends swear by it.

KoBoCollect does not run on iPhone. Sorry.

If Arcpad will run on your Android phone, it can also run KoBo. I'm not sure what you mean by "in conjunction", but there is no interactivity. KoBo does save it's data as simple XML files, so if you can import them into Arcpad, you might be getting somewhere.

~Neil Hendrick