Cannot import KML file into MyMaps

NonStopMike

Mar 27, 2011, 1:30:52 PM3/27/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Suddenly I am not able to import KML files into Google Maps - MyMaps.
I am running Windows 7 with IE8 and have done this import in the past
many times without problems.

Now however whenever I attempt to do an import to MyMaps, I get the
following message.. Google Error - 400 Bad Request - Your client has
issued a malformed or illegal request.

That's all it says, there's no suggestion what's wrong with the
request or what to do.

Below is trouble-shooting done so far...

- Google searches on "Google Error - 400 bad request importing MyMaps"
find several people having similar issues, but no solutions are
suggested other than to delete browser cookies, which we have done,
but the problem presists.

- The same KML file works fine with Google Earth... the XML header
info is as follows:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2" xmlns:gx="http://
www.google.com/kml/ext/2.2" xmlns:kml="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2"
xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">

- The KML file we are trying to import is unchanged from the past,
further this KML will load into My Maps on my laptop PC, so it seems
the KML is ok, but there's something odd with this PC (unfortunately
it's the main PC everyone uses).

- This issue could not have come at a worse time, there are 150 people
in our group wanting to see this work on our main PC, but since it
doesn't they are now suggesting we go with something else (like
maintain maps by hand, or "use some other tool" which would mean
starting over and taking several weeks to re-do the ~ 200 addresses).

Suggestions appreciated - Mike

Brendan Kenny

Mar 30, 2011, 7:50:22 PM3/30/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Hi Mike,

Do you have the KML at an accessible address? Barring that, do you
have a representative KML document that you can share that also fails
to import?

I'm trying to reproduce and looking at the other reports of this
problem, but, in the meantime, it seems people have had good luck
switching to Chrome or Firefox if they are using IE, and sometimes
just logging out and logging back in has helped as well. Obviously
these aren't solutions to the problem, but hopefully they can work in
the short term.

Cheers,
Brendan

On Mar 27, 10:30 am, NonStopMike wrote:
> Suddenly I am not able to import KML files into Google Maps - MyMaps.
> I am running Windows 7 with IE8 and have done this import in the past
> many times without problems.
>
> Now however whenever I attempt to do an import to MyMaps, I get the
> following message.. Google Error - 400 Bad Request - Your client has
> issued a malformed or illegal request.
>
> That's all it says, there's no suggestion what's wrong with the
> request or what  to do.
>
> Below is trouble-shooting done so far...
>
> - Google searches on "Google Error - 400 bad request importing MyMaps"
> find several people having similar issues, but no solutions are
> suggested other than to delete browser cookies, which we have done,
> but the problem presists.
>
> - The same KML file works fine with Google Earth... the XML header
> info is as follows:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <kml xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2" xmlns:gx="http://www.google.com/kml/ext/2.2" xmlns:kml="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2"

FireHawk

Mar 31, 2011, 12:54:41 PM3/31/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Also, make sure you are fully refreshing the page in IE. Sometimes IE
will reload the old page, and that can effect it, also make sure that
IE is allowing active x controls to run for Javascript, and that would
be the final sugesstion, is to make sure that Java is updated on this
machine. Finally, it may not load in "MyMaps" if it has too many
points. "MyMaps" is limited in size that the kml will do.

In the mean time here is link that allows you to look at a kml. The
kml needs to be posted on a public site in order to work properly, be
it maps, or your own code. There is a ton of code for adding kml
overlay in the google maps API site. You may need to code your own
map, add your kml as the overlay, and build your own site. It is a
fairly simle process. If this site views your file, and "MyMaps" will
not, then I am will to bet your KML has grown to big to view using
mymaps and will reguire use of the Google Maps API. Here's the site,
Not mine, but find it useful for testing kml files online:
http://greg-koppel.site88.net/maps/kml_test.html

Good Luck,
> > Suggestions appreciated - Mike- Hide quoted text -

zipp

Apr 5, 2011, 3:02:21 AM4/5/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
MIke - did you find a solution to this? I have come across this as
well. It works fine on a Macbook, but with IE on the PC (and a
complete reset of IE settings didn't help) I get the same error with
the same KML file that works fine when uploaded from the Mac.

On Mar 27, 6:30 pm, NonStopMike wrote:
> Suddenly I am not able to import KML files into Google Maps - MyMaps.
> I am running Windows 7 with IE8 and have done this import in the past
> many times without problems.
>
> Now however whenever I attempt to do an import to MyMaps, I get thefollowing message.. Google Error - 400 Bad Request - Your client has
> issued a malformed or illegal request.
>
> That's all it says, there's no suggestion what's wrong with the
> request or what  to do.
>
> Below is trouble-shooting done so far...
>
> - Google searches on "Google Error - 400 bad request importing MyMaps"
> find several people having similar issues, but no solutions are
> suggested other than to delete browser cookies, which we have done,
> but the problem presists.
>
> - The same KML file works fine with Google Earth... the XML header
> info is as follows:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <kml xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2" xmlns:gx="http://www.google.com/kml/ext/2.2" xmlns:kml="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2"

NonStopMike

Apr 5, 2011, 9:37:00 PM4/5/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Thanks Brendan, FireHawk, and Zipp for your suggestions.

Here's an update, I installed both Firefox 4 and Chrome 10 and
confirmed the problem "Google Error - 400 Bad Request" does NOT exist
with Chrome or Firefox, but was still present on IE 8. Given that I
was installing all the latest browsers, I decided to install IE 9 and
the problem was not present with IE 9 either. However, there's an
interesting observation regarding performance, both Firefox and Chrome
imported my ~ 200 <Placemark> KML file in less than 1 second, whereas
both IE 9 and 8 took ~ 15 seconds to do the same import. I cannot
imagine what is going on inside IE 8/9 that is taking so long, but it
is consistent and happens on many different PCs, whereas Chrome/
Firefox its always < 1 second. Unfortunately, most of the 200 or so
"users" have plain ole PCs with IE, thus they run into very long load
times to look at these maps. Anyhow, thanks to you the original
problem is resolved.

Thanks - mike

PS Brendan - Unfortunately I cannot share the KML ... the "user group"
considers name, address, phone number info contained in the KML
confidential. As an FYI the KML is generated via a 2000 line Excel
macro that accepts an Excel workbook (and a separate GPS relocation
correction workbook, GPS relocations are needed due to the remote
locations which have many long/lat errors). Given name, address,
phone, email heading names ... the macro generates KML which works
great. GE is definitely very cool, prior to this the user group was
maintaining maps by hand and they where never right due to human
transcription/mapping errors.