[ANN] License changed to MIT

Mathieu Virbel

Aug 1, 2013, 11:06:31 AM8/1/13
to kivy...@googlegroups.com, kivy-...@googlegroups.com, python-...@googlegroups.com, pyjni...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

All of the Kivy organisation projects are now under the MIT License [1].

This change was agreed upon by all of the core developers of the Kivy organization. We believe that the switch will positively impact everybody, and clear all confusion about using Kivy in commercial software or on closed platforms such as iOS. Wasting time on legal issues sucks. Our license choice was never intended to prevent anyone from using our projects. We want you to use them without reservation, so you can spend your time creating awesome apps :)

Usually, such a change requires the approval of all contributors to a project. Instead of asking for permission, we ask forgiveness [2]. If you are a past contributor to Kivy or its associated projects, and don't approve of these changes, write us so we can remove your contributions from our source code.

The Kivy Team

ZenCODE

Aug 1, 2013, 2:49:47 PM8/1/13
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com, kivy...@googlegroups.com, python-...@googlegroups.com, pyjni...@googlegroups.com
Yes! That is totally great! Your (plus the Kivy team's) attitudes and license have always been great, now it's even better ;-)

Personally, I release my code under the permissive BSD, which is pretty much the same license (but it's a tiny project. Who cares?). But this change really frees up those LGPL concerns using that Slavina raised here:

    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/kivy-users/G3LYn7RV5S4

Thanks for listening. My commitment to Kivy and giving back has just shot up. Open is freedom. Knowledge is power. Kivy For The Win! ;-)

Peace out

Slavina

Aug 1, 2013, 5:51:19 PM8/1/13
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com, kivy...@googlegroups.com, python-...@googlegroups.com, pyjni...@googlegroups.com
You guys are amazing!

Thank you so much for being flexible and acting so quickly to change things around! This will definitely open a lot of doors for Kivy and you'll see it used in some really cool projects.

Cheers!
Slavina

Mathieu Virbel

Aug 2, 2013, 4:14:57 AM8/2/13
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
To be honest, we discussed about a license change 3 times, the oldest
one was in june 2012, then 27 march 2013, and then last week. Your
request restarted the discussion again, and we finally agreed on the
choice :)

Enjoy,

Mathieu

Le 01/08/2013 23:51, Slavina a �crit :