kanso.iriscouch.com down

Suraj Kumar

Mar 28, 2014, 6:40:01 AM3/28/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Even kanso.iriscouch.com/_utils is no longer accessible. Due to a mishap, we wiped out the local repository that we'd replicated off of iriscouch. Could any kind soul help with another publicly-accessible CouchDB instance or even a DB dump?

Regards,

  -Suraj

--
An Onion is the Onion skin and the Onion under the skin until the Onion Skin without any Onion underneath.

The information contained in this communication is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to this email and then delete it from your system. The firm is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt.

Caolan McMahon

Mar 31, 2014, 11:19:36 AM3/31/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
I'm moving kan.so to my own VM - once DNS updates you should find it
more reliable

Milan Andric

Mar 31, 2014, 2:54:16 PM3/31/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
So Cloudant was a no-go?  Do they even still have a free offering?  Just wondering.

Milan

Matt J. Sorenson

Mar 31, 2014, 3:36:19 PM3/31/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
Tho I haven't used kanso in quite a long time... I'm curious also, for an explanation on why iriscouch is unsuitable, and why the issues?

--Matt

Alexander Gabriel

Mar 31, 2014, 3:50:44 PM3/31/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
For over a year, my projects (at that time hobby-projects) were notoriously unavailable on iriscouch. I migrated 6 months ago, first to cloudant, then to vanilla couchdb on a virtual server.
Never had a single availability issue since. Plus: The apps are much more performant

And: I'm not the only one. Look here, on the iriscouch forum: https://getsatisfaction.com/iriscouch/topics/internal_routing_error-h2cz2

And notice no responses from iriscouch whatsoever

I believe Ryan Ramage has (had?) similar problems with http://garden20.com

Milan Andric

Mar 31, 2014, 4:19:07 PM3/31/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
I've experienced startup issues on all of my iriscouch instances so if a server is not under constant load then it shuts down and new requests stall or return an error until the instance is launched, which is basically broken or annoying enough to drive away users.

I don't know what the reason was for all the recent downtime with kanso though.

Milan

Caolan McMahon

Apr 1, 2014, 9:16:27 AM4/1/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
Cloudant still has a free offering and kindly offered to support
kan.so - however, I didn't have much time available and it was easier
to migrate the couchapp setup to a vanilla couchdb install. Since I
already run a VM with couchdb for the http://jamjs.org site (which
seems to have no problems with uptime) I just replicated it there and
switched the domains over. CouchApps are so awesome ;)

RE: Iriscouch - Jason and Iriscouch have been super supportive of this
project and my thanks goes out to them. Sometimes instances were
unavailable or took a while to start up but it did mean that Iriscouch
were able to host lots of couchdb instances for free, so it was a
great service to the community. However, since being acquired by
Nodejitsu, Iriscouch availability has increasingly become a problem.
No doubt in part because Jason Smith is no longer at Nodejitsu.
Hopefully we'll see another CouchDB hosting company spring up in the
future to fill this gap.

Mike Marino

Apr 4, 2014, 7:07:10 AM4/4/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
Hi Caolan,

Thanks for moving this!  Is it possible that some pieces didn't get migrated?  That is, I can't log on to the wiki and the docs seems to be a default wiki page.

Cheers,
Mike

Caolan McMahon

Apr 4, 2014, 9:35:37 AM4/4/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I seem to be having problems replicating the docs. Every time I
try the iriscouch instance becomes unavailable.

Luke Plaster

Apr 4, 2014, 10:24:17 AM4/4/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
And either users db hasn't been replicated or I forgot my password to publish. I hope it's the former...

Mike Marino

Apr 4, 2014, 10:40:28 AM4/4/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
I think it was the former. I was able to simply set up a new account with the same username and publish.

Caolan McMahon

Apr 7, 2014, 5:17:45 AM4/7/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I'll get this updated soon. Sorry for the poor service, but the
main thing was getting the repository back online so people could
deploy their apps.

Mike Marino

Apr 7, 2014, 8:20:45 AM4/7/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
I totally understand, thanks for you work on this!  As you say, the most important functionality is already there.  (I've seen no interruptions and have been able to work just fine.)

Caolan McMahon

Apr 10, 2014, 7:33:27 AM4/10/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
Everything should be up and working normally now. Let me know if you
encounter any problems.

Luke Plaster

Jun 17, 2014, 4:03:55 AM6/17/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com