Venue Choice 2016

Mike Dupont

Jun 10, 2015, 10:08:24 PM6/10/15
to kansas-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,
It seems that we have a problem with the venue choice for next year.
The lawrence library is not going to work with the noise levels. The
riverside hotel does not want to give us a large room. KU is not going
to be happy with the 19th of march which is the most popular date (
see our poll http://doodle.com/yq5hz6hh8wcfu2nh#table) , because that
is in the spring break. Liberty hall does not have break out rooms.
The Lawrence community center does not have WIFI at all as far as I
know. So I think we should consider to move the venue to Topeka for
next year, to the Topeka Library, it has huge rooms and break out
rooms, all with hallways that allow people to talk and I think we
might be able to setup tables in one extra room for an expo area. Or
we can take a less popular date and go to the KU. Or we look for
another solution in downtown Lawrence.

We are going to have to get more input here, so I would like to get
some feedback from the group and see what you think. Do you know a
good location? I think a good conference room is more important than
the downtown Lawrence, because we need to be able to talk to each
other outside of the room without disturbing people.

please feed back!
mike

--
James Michael DuPont
Kansas Linux Fest http://kansaslinuxfest.us

Mike Dupont

Jun 10, 2015, 10:48:26 PM6/10/15
to Greg Thompson, kansas-l...@googlegroups.com
Well I can tell you two things,

1. we did not have a place to setup tables outside the main room.
people complained about me talking in the back. We need to be able to
setup tables and be able to talk to guests without disturbing the
talks.
2. the people in the breakout rooms talked outside of the rooms, this
disturbed the people using computers in the downstairs. We got
complaints from the library on that.

and also the break out rooms were tight and people did not have room
to fit in. The Topeka lib has much bigger break out rooms with
hallways that let people talk outside the venue. The main room in
Topeka is huge and people in the back will be well away from the
guests.

mike

On 6/10/15, Greg Thompson <re...@frodex.com> wrote:
> The issue with noise at Lawrence Public Library seems like BS. We need to
> put some pressure on them and just force them to deal with whatever their
> issue is.
>
> Greg
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kansas-linux-fest/CAF0qKV3jvPos5ARp4Mm%3DGbbD_VYDKxTNzzko%2B5LxbDSt3H0A_A%40mail.gmail.com
>> .

Greg Thompson

Jun 11, 2015, 1:03:45 AM6/11/15
to Mike Dupont, kansas-l...@googlegroups.com
The issue with noise at Lawrence Public Library seems like BS. We need to put some pressure on them and just force them to deal with whatever their issue is.

Greg

Spencer Hunley

Jun 11, 2015, 12:38:34 PM6/11/15
to Mike Dupont, Greg Thompson, kansas-l...@googlegroups.com
I'm not as familiar with locations in KS, so wherever will work with us is okay with me. We had excellent breakout room attendance, which points out the need for larger breakout session rooms.

Jeff Roberson

Jun 11, 2015, 12:49:25 PM6/11/15
to Spencer Hunley, Mike Dupont, Greg Thompson, kansas-l...@googlegroups.com
Just to add my 2 cents, I agree Mike, I don't think being in downtown Lawrence is the most important part of the venue.  If the Public Library in Topeka is a better venue, then that makes the most sense to me.  The discussions and networking that occurs outside of the meetings is important to the overall experience too.  I also understand that money is tight (non existent) so Public Libraries or maybe a welcoming college campus is the best bet.  Would Washburn be a possibility, or maybe Johnson County Community College?

Thanks for all of your work on this!

- Jeff Roberson

Daniel Doughty

Jun 11, 2015, 1:57:55 PM6/11/15
to Jeff Roberson, Greg Thompson, Mike Dupont, kansas-l...@googlegroups.com, Spencer Hunley

I don't care where we meet as I'll still attend.  Shifting time away from spring break sounds like a good option as well.

Mike Dupont

Jun 11, 2015, 9:45:51 PM6/11/15
to Daniel Doughty, Jeff Roberson, Greg Thompson, kansas-l...@googlegroups.com, Spencer Hunley
Ok, well since we have equal votes for march 12th , i think we should
explore that weekend at KU, it would be a major win to have it at KU
itself, because we will get a lot more people to come in theory. If
that does not work we will explore Topeka as well. lets give the guys
from KU some time to discuss it internally and see what happens. Also
Ohio is looking for speakers, https://ohiolinux.org/
mike

On 6/11/15, Daniel Doughty <d...@heartofamericait.com> wrote:
> I don't care where we meet as I'll still attend. Shifting time away from
> spring break sounds like a good option as well.
> On Jun 11, 2015 11:49 AM, "Jeff Roberson" <jeffrey....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Just to add my 2 cents, I agree Mike, I don't think being in downtown
>> Lawrence is the most important part of the venue. If the Public Library
>> in
>> Topeka is a better venue, then that makes the most sense to me. The
>> discussions and networking that occurs outside of the meetings is
>> important
>> to the overall experience too. I also understand that money is tight
>> (non
>> existent) so Public Libraries or maybe a welcoming college campus is the
>> best bet. Would Washburn be a possibility, or maybe Johnson County
>> Community College?
>>
>> Thanks for all of your work on this!
>>
>> - Jeff Roberson
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 11:38 AM Spencer Hunley
>> <spencer...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not as familiar with locations in KS, so wherever will work with us
>>> is okay with me. We had excellent breakout room attendance, which points
>>> out the need for larger breakout session rooms.
>>>

>>> Spencer Hunley <http://about.me/spencerhunley>
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kansas-linux-fest/CAAP4PmrARPB91DnE_1kBMz3ppfuOs78v3_SUiizapOydrMDHTQ%40mail.gmail.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kansas-linux-fest/CAAP4PmrARPB91DnE_1kBMz3ppfuOs78v3_SUiizapOydrMDHTQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .
>>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kansas-linux-fest/CAH%2B0wpGzPstVe96f9AbnL4RBK%3D%3DU2cgtLfOEM_rqRCdwVW_PLQ%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kansas-linux-fest/CAH%2B0wpGzPstVe96f9AbnL4RBK%3D%3DU2cgtLfOEM_rqRCdwVW_PLQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Mike Dupont

Jun 12, 2015, 9:03:40 AM6/12/15
to Patrick McDonald, kansas-l...@googlegroups.com, Greg Thompson, Jeff Roberson, Spencer Hunley, Daniel Doughty
I have tried many times and failed to get in contact with those
people, and help would be great.

On 6/11/15, Patrick McDonald <mcdonald....@gmail.com> wrote:
> KU hosted FUDCon. Might want to coordinate with the crew that hosted. They
> could provide great insight.
> On Jun 11, 2015 8:45 PM, "'Mike Dupont' via kansas-linux-fest" <
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kansas-linux-fest/CAF0qKV3Gn3cNp1t-MWrEFwaD9S2FqzaZk7zLnpo_YScVdHN7HA%40mail.gmail.com

Matthew Copeland

Jun 12, 2015, 10:30:15 AM6/12/15
to Mike Dupont, Patrick McDonald, kansas-l...@googlegroups.com, Greg Thompson, Jeff Roberson, Spencer Hunley, Daniel Doughty
The primary person responsible for getting FUDCon setup here at KU was a student.  I believe he has graduated at this point.  Andy Gill, a professor in EECS, is going to get with me when he gets back in late June to see what he can do about providing help in this area.  If that's to long, please let me know, and I'll walk over there to see what I can arrange.

Matthew Copeland

Mike Dupont

Jun 12, 2015, 7:24:47 PM6/12/15
to ja...@712innovations.com, kansas-l...@googlegroups.com, re...@frodex.com, mcdonald....@gmail.com, spencer...@gmail.com, matthew...@acm.org, d...@heartofamericait.com, jeffrey....@gmail.com
On 6/12/15, ja...@712innovations.com <ja...@712innovations.com> wrote:
> Hey guys - just weighing in that Topeka actually has an organization who
> helps with these things. Rosa with Visit Topeka Inc has asked that Mike
> give her a call. I think they want to help take care of logistics for this
> to happen in Topeka - they may even be willing to sponsor some food.

That is great Jared, thank you.
So at the end of the conference in March we discussed as a group what
we want to do. The verbal agreement was KU, Manhattan, Wichita, over
the next years. I think Topeka is a great location as well, and what
will be fair is to put this all to a popular vote when we get the
things in order. I do however do not want to burn the good people at
KU who are pushing for this, and I know that large orgs also need more
time to make decisions so we should give them the time needed. It
would be a major win to have KU sponsor next years conf. I will
however get in touch with Go topeka to discuss this. I would like to
for example do more events than one per year, We could do a statewide
install fest or do some other events.

Here are some ideas for more events :
1. Wikipedia loves kansas photo contest like http://www.wikilovesmonuments.org/
2. an Openstreetmap day, mapathon
3. document freedom day Wednesday of March
4. software freedom day http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/ Sept. 19th 2015

I think we need more events and not less to promote free/open software
and sharing of knowledge. Really I think Topeka should host a open
government/open civic data/code for america/ hackathon as the state
capitol. That might be the best thing we can do in Topeka to gain some
mindshare and get people interested. See
http://open.nasa.gov/blog/2012/06/29/the-power-of-hackathons-in-government/
https://www.whitehouse.gov/developers/hackathon
http://www.opengovpartnership.org/tags/hackathon
http://www.govfresh.com/2011/08/open-government-hackathons-matter/

I will be in Topeka tomorrow for the
http://www.openkansas.us/events-1/open-source-against-poverty open
source against poverty event and can meet with you afterwards.

Mike