reminder: you can embed youtubes about a Jupyter Notebook, in the notebook

kirby urner

Nov 20, 2018, 12:02:43 PM11/20/18
to jupyter-...@googlegroups.com

An example:

The embedded Youtube is at the very end and is about the very notebook we're looking at.

In this case, the video makes "learning Jupyter Notebook skills" the priority (it's like a pep talk), but then I end up talking about pandas a lot.  These technologies often go together after all. [1]

A more conventional use of embedded Youtubes is to provide more perspective on topics the notebook touches on, without referring directly to the notebook. [2]

My point is our freedom to make videos that refer specifically to the notebook at hand, by code cell number etc. if we think those won't change (re-doing a video might be impractical).

This might be especially useful in tutorials.  If you know of some other good examples, I'm eager to see where others do the same.

Kirby

[1]

If you watch, you'll see I'm poking at humanities students (PATH) -- even as I talk about STEM -- suggesting they dig into the "hard core math at the heart of American literature" (American Transcendentalism in particular), a part of my larger agenda, as becomes clear from watching other Youtubes of mine.

[2]

The above example more conventional in that the videos are about what the Notebook is about, but are not about the Notebook.

Chris Holdgraf

Nov 20, 2018, 12:11:39 PM11/20/18
to kirby...@gmail.com, jupyter-...@googlegroups.com
That's clever! Thanks for sharing

James Slack

Nov 21, 2018, 5:11:54 AM11/21/18
to Teaching with Jupyter Notebooks
Its a really great feature but easy to miss so thanks for the reminder. Its very useful in a flipped classroom settings or even distance learning as it helps learners become for engaged.

Lorena Barba makes use of the videos to explain concepts very well - https://github.com/barbagroup/CFDPython

I find it useful to make a 'Getting used to Jupyter' video and then adding that with any beginner notebooks to ease the start.