CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: JuliaCon 2015, June 24-28, MIT

Jiahao Chen

Feb 23, 2015, 9:46:57 PM2/23/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com, juli...@googlegroups.com
On behalf of the JuliaCon 2015 Program Committee, it is my pleasure to announce that the Call for Participation for JuliaCon 2015 is now open.

Venue: MIT Ray & Maria Stata Center, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139.

Call for Participation closes: April 8, 2015, 11:59pm EDT
Estimated notification: April 18, 2015
JuliaCon dates: June 24 - 28, 2015

JuliaCon proposal submission form: link.
JuliaCon website: juliacon.org (to be updated shortly)
JuliaCon program committee email: juli...@googlegroups.com.

JuliaCon 2015 is looking for Julia users like you to speak! We’re looking for talks and workshops about using Julia, whether that means writing a Julia package or doing your research using Julia.

Who will decide the program?

The JuliaCon program committee is composed of entirely of volunteer organizers and can be reached at juli...@googlegroups.com with any questions or comments. Please limit your submissions to no more than 3 proposals.

If you’re having trouble deciding on a topic, please send us an email; we’re happy to help.

What kinds of presentations are we looking for?

We are looking for speakers for three types of presentations: regular talks, lightning talks, and workshops. The types of presentations differ in the amount of time allotted.
  • Each regular talk will receive 35 minutes of presentation time and 5 minutes for Q&A.
  • Each lightning talk will receive 8 minutes to speak and 2 minutes for Q&A.
  • Workshops are larger blocks of time which are useful for tutorials, in-depth presentations of deeper ideas, and hackathons. Each workshop slot will be given up to 3 hours. Please note in your proposal how much time your workshop will require.
Speakers are expected to bring their own laptops to connect to the projectors.

What will the audience be like?

The audience will be users of Julia, and come from widely varying backgrounds and interests. They range from professional programmers who enjoy new languages to professors who use Julia as a tool in their work. While many Julia users are very comfortable with math and statistics, the only thing you can consistently assume is that they’ve written some Julia code before.

JuliaCon 2015 will also feature a tutorial for new users.

What topics are you looking for?

As long as it’s about Julia or using Julia, it’s on topic. We’re looking for talks about work that you’ve already done or have made significant progress on. Demos are welcome.

Last year, there were many talks about specific Julia packages. This is a great way to advertise a package you wrote (or love to use). We want to know what your package does, how it does it, and how did using Julia affect your package, for better or worse.

See the video recordings from last year at juliacon.org to get a feel for what people presented and what the audience expected.

If you want to speak but are having trouble coming up with a topic, the best topics are centered on your experience using Julia. Besides creating or maintaining a package, your experience teaching Julia or using Julia in your work or research would also be interesting. We are specifically interested in your experience with Julia in a classroom setting.

If you’re looking for presentation ideas, consider talks about: compilers, runtimes, parallelism, experiences teaching Julia, scientific computing, and/or visualization.

Do you have any tips for filling out the submission form?

Biography:

This will be listed on the website when the speakers are announced. This is a good place to mention if you’ve created a Julia package or maintain one.

Title:

Make your title reflect your topic (rather than being clever) Please reserve “Julia In Production” style titles for experience reports of using Julia at companies, not research. (customer-facing, revenue-generating, etc). However, we still do want to hear about using Julia for research, just don’t use the word production in the title.

Abstract:

The abstract is a summary of what you wanted to do, what you ended up doing, the results you obtained, and what you learned from the experience. This will be listed on the website if your talk is accepted.

Special notes:

Please note in your submission if:
  • You do not want your presentation recorded and posted on the JuliaCon website. We plan to record all presentations by default.
  • You need additional resources beyond the standard video projector and laser pointer. (We expect speakers to bring their own laptops unless you ask for one.)
  • You require travel funding to attend JuliaCon.

Support for Speakers

Travel funding and conference fee waivers may be available for a limited group of speakers. Please note in your submission if you will be unable to attend JuliaCon without funding.

We look forward to receiving your proposals and seeing you at JuliaCon 2015 in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Yours faithfully,

Jiahao Chen
JuliaCon 2015 Program Chair
Staff Research Scientist
MIT CSAIL

Christian Peel

Feb 24, 2015, 1:12:18 AM2/24/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com, julia...@googlegroups.com, ksh...@physics.ucsb.edu
Are you open to suggestions?  On Saturday in Berkeley we heard Katherine Hyatt give a great talk on using Julia for simulating quantum systems.  She also talked about how it was much easier to get people up to speed on Julia than C++ and went in to details as to why.  So there's two angles, the quantum simulations themselves, and the utility of Julia over previous tools due to ease of use and speed.  Here's her web page:   http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~kshyatt/

BTW, I'd love to see Juliacon in the SF Bay area.

Jiahao Chen

Feb 24, 2015, 8:37:41 AM2/24/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com, juli...@googlegroups.com, ksh...@physics.ucsb.edu
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 1:12:18 AM UTC-5, Christian Peel wrote:
Are you open to suggestions?  On Saturday in Berkeley we heard Katherine Hyatt give a great talk on using Julia for simulating quantum systems.  She also talked about how it was much easier to get people up to speed on Julia than

Yes, Xiaodong had asked for speakers and I'm glad Katherine was available. Is the talk up somewhere?

At the moment we're looking for voluntary contributions, as opposed to volunteered contributions. :) Naturally, we hope that Katherine will submit something on her own accord.

BTW, I'd love to see Juliacon in the SF Bay area.

We'd need a critical mass of volunteers in the area for that to happen. If you're willing to coordinate that effort for 2016, we'd be very interested. :)

Randy Zwitch

Feb 24, 2015, 9:10:14 AM2/24/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com, juli...@googlegroups.com
Submitted. Looking forward to making it to JuliaCon this year, speaker or otherwise!

Christian Peel

Mar 2, 2015, 12:50:09 PM3/2/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com, juli...@googlegroups.com, ksh...@physics.ucsb.edu
It looks to me like the talks you asked about are here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXeOiWjj3rcYUQqfgelTDWQ

Jiahao Chen

Mar 2, 2015, 2:51:28 PM3/2/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com, julia...@googlegroups.com
> It looks to me like the talks you asked about are here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXeOiWjj3rcYUQqfgelTDWQ

Thanks for the link!

Philip Tellis

Mar 14, 2015, 1:06:16 PM3/14/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com, juli...@googlegroups.com
I have added JuliaCon to Lanyrd here: http://lanyrd.com/2015/juliacon/

Jiahao and the other organizers should feel free to claim the event and make updates

Jiahao Chen

Apr 1, 2015, 4:23:03 PM4/1/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com, juli...@googlegroups.com
A gentle reminder that the CFP closes one week from today. We've received lots of great submissions so far and we're looking forward to seeing more!

On Monday, February 23, 2015 at 9:46:57 PM UTC-5, Jiahao Chen wrote:
On behalf of the JuliaCon 2015 Program Committee, it is my pleasure to announce that the Call for Participation for JuliaCon 2015 is now open.

Venue: MIT Ray & Maria Stata Center, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139.

Call for Participation closes: April 8, 2015, 11:59pm EDT
Estimated notification: April 18, 2015
JuliaCon dates: June 24 - 28, 2015

JuliaCon proposal submission form: link.
JuliaCon website: juliacon.org (to be updated shortly)
JuliaCon program committee email: juliacon@googlegroups.com

Viral Shah

Apr 1, 2015, 11:50:16 PM4/1/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com, julia...@googlegroups.com
Just want to add and reiterate that it would also be nice to have proposals talking about applications in Julia. We should most likely have an application track - but the details can only be figured out once everything is in.

-viral

Jiahao Chen

Apr 9, 2015, 12:21:42 AM4/9/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com, juli...@googlegroups.com
Proposal submission deadline extended by popular request to Sunday, April 12 at 11:59pm EDT.