packages that depend on unregistered packages (also: pkg REQUIRE allow urls)?

S Wade

Jul 26, 2014, 12:37:17 PM7/26/14
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have a number of unregistered packages that depend on each other. I’d like to be able to specify these dependencies, so I tried to add dependent URLs to REQUIRE but it seems you can’t just add a URL to the require file.

I’d like users to be able to run Pkg.clone() to install the package and its dependencies. Is there some way to accomplish this? I couldn’t find an obvious way in the Package documentation.a

thanks,
wade

wil...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2014, 2:21:25 PM7/26/14
to julia...@googlegroups.com
You should try to registered them, otherwise who needs the central package repo if anybody can configure dependencies from various sources. Or, you can write an install script that clones all dependencies for user.

S Wade

Jul 26, 2014, 2:45:54 PM7/26/14
to julia...@googlegroups.com
The problem is that these are internal packages that are not shareable outside our company network (their urls are only internally accessible).

thanks,
wade

Iain Dunning

Jul 26, 2014, 4:14:33 PM7/26/14
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Not possible as far as I know, but is a reasonable request. A solution is to make a fork of METADATA for your internal company network, that you periodically sync with upstream. Maybe on a issue?

S Wade

Jul 26, 2014, 8:51:05 PM7/26/14
to julia...@googlegroups.com
That makes sense. I guess we could merge internal + external metadata on a regular basis.

That said, I think it would be good to be able to REQUIRE a URL in the same way it’s possible to clone a package from a URL.

thanks,
wade

ggggg

Jul 29, 2014, 3:37:18 PM7/29/14
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I'd also like to be able to require a URL.  At the very least it will make for easier testing. But I think it will also simplify maintaining and using non-public packages.

Chris

Aug 25, 2015, 1:26:47 PM8/25/15
to julia-users
Is this possible yet? It would be very useful for me, as well.

René Donner

Aug 25, 2015, 3:05:48 PM8/25/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Not yet, but see the discussion in https://github.com/JuliaLang/METADATA.jl/issues/2800

In the meantime, you could try https://github.com/rened/DeclarativePackages.jl

Cheers,

Rene

tim....@multiscalehn.com

Aug 26, 2015, 2:53:57 PM8/26/15
to julia-users
+1 for allowing URLs in the REQUIRE file

I have the same issue, packages are on a company network and cannot be registered. Will try out "Declarative Packages" but it would be nice to have the built-in solution, as I don't see it conflicting with how REQUIRE works currently.

Andre Bieler

Feb 10, 2016, 3:23:35 AM2/10/16
to julia-users