[ANN] Docopt.jl - a new port of docopt in Julia

Kenta Sato

Mar 10, 2014, 1:38:20 AM3/10/14
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

A few days ago, I released a new port of docopt written in Julia.
This is my first package written in Julia, so the code can contain some bad practice.
The package is currently not registered as an official package, but available from my repository (https://github.com/bicycle1885/Docopt.jl).
Of course, I'm planning to list it as an official package.

docopt is a command-line parser library that parses a help message and generates a parser for command-line arguments.
The original implementation of docopt was written in Python, but its idea is so cool that there are many ports in various languages (e.g. Ruby, Javascript, Go and so on).

I won't explain about the details of the grammar of docopt. The full explanation is available from http://docopt.org/.
Anyone who has experience of having to parse complicated command-line arguments and being annoyed with synchronizing your parser and help message will like Docopt.jl so much.
Also, please note that the current release only supports Julia v0.3 prerelease, not v0.2.

I planned to announce it after the docopt community has accepted it as a rightful member of the docopt family. Unfortunately, there is no response for three days up to now (https://github.com/docopt/docopt/issues/183).

Thanks.

Stefan Karpinski

Mar 10, 2014, 9:48:33 AM3/10/14
to Julia Users
Very cool. I've always liked the DocOpt approach to option parsing. I'm sure the docopt folks will get around to that issue soon and in the meantime, it's nice to announce it here. I'm wondering if the name shouldn't be DocOpt since modules are conventionally capitalized in Julia and the word, although lowercase is clearly a composite of "document" and "options".

Kenta Sato

Mar 10, 2014, 10:08:45 AM3/10/14
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Oh, exactly!
I didn't notice that convention of package names in Julia.
I'll rename it soon. Thank you for your advice.