Why is this language called Julia?

Kalinni Gorzkis

Aug 16, 2013, 9:16:56 AM8/16/13
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I think it refers to the Julia fractal set.

Steve Mardenfeld

Aug 16, 2013, 2:43:35 PM8/16/13
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Well, Julia is Stefan Karpinski's middle name, so I always just read between the lines...

Steven G. Johnson

Aug 16, 2013, 5:13:49 PM8/16/13
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Alan Edelman told me specifically that it was not named after the fractal, and in fact that "Julia" doesn't refer to anything in particular.   Apparently, it just came up in a random conversation years ago when someone suggested arbitrarily that "Julia" would be a good name for a programming language.

Stefan Karpinski

Aug 16, 2013, 5:46:35 PM8/16/13
to Julia Users
It's like a much less traumatic version of "A Boy Named Sue".

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Benjamin Silbaugh <ben.si...@gmail.com> wrote:
Now I can understand why he feels the need to wear a Viking helmet :c)
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted