[Announcement] Moving to Discourse

Valentin Churavy

Nov 15, 2016, 9:45:55 PM11/15/16
to julia-users
I would like to accelerate the move of `julia-users` to https://discourse.julialang.org. In the original announcement (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/julia-users/Ov1J6MOVly0/cD7vNKOUAgAJ) I mentioned a evaluation period of 4 weeks, but since then members of the community have been approaching me if we could speed that up. If you take issue with speeding things up please let me know.

The timeline for the move is as follows:
  • Discourse is available from now on and we encourage everybody to post new topics there.
  • On Monday November 21th,  9am JST julia-users will be set to read-only mode.
  • We are not doing an automated migration, because we want to give people the choice of opt-in; as such, we won't move over previous content or previous accounts.
A common concern is whether or not you have to use Discourse as a forum or if you can still participate purely through e-mails.

If you have any concerns about this move please chime in either here or at https://discourse.julialang.org/t/migration-of-google-groups-to-discourse/

All the best,
Valentin

Uwe Fechner

Nov 16, 2016, 5:49:09 AM11/16/16
to julia-users
Hello,
how can I paste Julia code in Discourse, such that it has syntax highlighting?

Uwe

Johan Sigfrids

Nov 16, 2016, 6:39:02 AM11/16/16
to julia-users
You can put the code inside triple back ticks:

```
function hello()
    "Hello"
end
```

Uwe Fechner

Nov 16, 2016, 8:50:14 AM11/16/16
to julia-users
Thanks!

Valentin Churavy

Nov 16, 2016, 9:48:59 AM11/16/16
to julia-users
It is similar to Github. You can also switch languages by ```python, Julia is set as the default though :)

using Base: @deprecate
@deprecate google_groups discourse
(thanks Alex A. :) )

Valentin Churavy

Nov 20, 2016, 9:36:24 PM11/20/16
to julia-users
The group is now in read-only mode. Please continue the discussion at discourse.julialang.org.

Ferran Mazzanti

Nov 21, 2016, 6:45:42 AM11/21/16
to julia-users
One thing that is not particular from discourse but that also affects it... It turns out that I read most of the posts from my ipad, and my eyes are not the ones that used to be. So I like to zoom in, as I was doing with google groups. Apparently, this can't be done in discourse (as in many other sites, don't know why). All in all, it is a pain to read the discourse posts. Am I the only one complaining about this? Or is there (even better) an easy solutionthat allows zooming in?
Best regards and thanks,
Ferran.

Tamas Papp

Nov 21, 2016, 6:54:01 AM11/21/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I am using a laptop with a HiDPI display, and the forum works fine -- in
fact, I love the clean design. In firefox, Ctrl+ magnifies correctly,
same in Chromium. Are you using Safari? Perhaps try a different browser.

Bart Janssens

Nov 21, 2016, 7:06:22 AM11/21/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I think this is because it loads the mobile version of the site. Often, mobile sites can't be zoomed in on. There should be an option in the browser to request the desktop version. Alternatively, I think you can also set the font size globally from the system settings.

Also, I thought the list was read-only? ;)

Cheers,

Bart

Valentin Churavy

Nov 21, 2016, 8:39:30 AM11/21/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com
You can still answer to current thread, but you should be unable to create new threads.

Re: Discourse mobile view. I just tested it on my Android phone and I can also not zoom in. Switching into Desktop mode works. On Android chrome has in the accessibility settings the option to "Force enable zoom".
I don't know if there is something similar on iOS.

Apparently discourse added this recently to work around an iOS 10 bug https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/fe7883eeeab6872f68e072063ce95116b389f85a

Valentin Churavy

Nov 21, 2016, 8:40:23 AM11/21/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com