High level features and "feature leads"

Manik Surtani

Jan 30, 2013, 12:38:33 PM1/30/13
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
One of the things we spoke about on the kick-off call a few weeks back was to break down this JSR into high level features, and for each feature to have a "lead".  Feature leads will be responsible for driving discussion and owning the API (if any) for that feature, and would collaborate with the expert group (using the usual process of voting on conflicts, etc) to build out the feature.  Feature leads will work with the overall spec lead (myself) to ensure it all works together as a coherent whole.

I've just updated the wiki with a summary of high level features:

Please take a look, and nominate yourself as feature lead if you're interested in taking any section on.  Leading more than one feature is fine if you have the bandwidth.  To sum things up, the features we have so far:

1.  Async API
2.  Distributed code execution
3.  Group API
4.  Annotations
5.  Non-API features (spec only)
6.  Eventually consistent API
7.  Querying
8.  Configuration

Cheers
Manik

Rich Midwinter

Jan 30, 2013, 12:41:20 PM1/30/13
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
I'll put myself forward for the Group API as a starter.

Ben.Cotton=MorganStanley.com

Jan 30, 2013, 12:50:48 PM1/30/13
to jsr...@googlegroups.com

Hi Manik,

Though I am not technically qualified to fully lead all parts of item  "5. Non-API features" , I would offer to help lead "5.1 transactions (JTA) integration".

Thx,

Ben

Jim Bethancourt

Jan 30, 2013, 1:03:23 PM1/30/13
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
Although I'm not yet sure exactly how I'll be able to particpate (I have been unable to get an Exhibit B signed by my employer), I'd like to point out that for the Querying feature, there is a project called Espresso that a Houston JUG member had open sourced too long ago (less than a year ago) that provides a SQL interface to JSR 107 compliant caches and might provide a good starting point.  The URL for it on GitHub is https://github.com/aantenan/Espresso

I'll try to see if I can get the slides from him that he used for his talk.

Cheers,
Jim

Manik Surtani

Jan 30, 2013, 1:04:58 PM1/30/13
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
@Jim - great!  In fact, ask if he is interested in participating in JSR 347.

Jim Bethancourt

Jan 30, 2013, 1:07:12 PM1/30/13
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
Will do :-)

Zacarias

Jan 30, 2013, 1:24:27 PM1/30/13
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
I´m really interested in Queries and Group. So I propose myself for 7.  Querying.

Rich count on me for Group API we work a lot on this in my company.

Jim Bethancourt

Jan 31, 2013, 11:26:39 AM1/31/13
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
I've heard back from Alberto and he's interested in helping out with the search portion.  I'll do my best to shepherd him through the process of joining the JCP, signing the JSPA, etc.  I'm not sure what his employer will do with respect to the Exhibit B document, but I imagine he'll be glad to at least act in an advisory role.  Since his Espresso project was released as open source before he joined his current employer, he may be able to indicate that it was code that was written "a priori", but I'm not sure.

Jim

Manik Surtani

Feb 1, 2013, 5:24:20 AM2/1/13
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for stepping up, Rich, Zacarias and Ben.

Yes, I expect everyone in the EG to help steer each feature, just that I am nominating a single lead per feature to drive it.

@Ben - remember, everyone in the EG will contribute to each feature as well, so you still could take on all of #5 as long as you have an interest.  :)

More volunteers?

Cheers
Manik