JSR107 progress and Java EE7

Brian Oliver

Jan 30, 2013, 10:10:24 AM1/30/13
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
All,

I'm not sure if anyone other than the spec leads have been tracking this but unfortunately we've missed a few of the key delivery dates for JSR107 to be included in Java EE 7.   Of course there are numerous reasons why we think we've "slipped", both personal and organizational, but the fact is we're not done.  Furthermore we can't really hold up Java EE 7 especially when we know there's still a lot of work to do, discussions to have, decisions to make and documentation/implementation/testing to complete.

While it's not the responsibility of the JSR107 group to dictate whether or not the spec will be included in Java EE 7 (that's up to the platform group), I think it's only reasonable to notify everyone that it's now highly unlikely JSR107 will be included in Java EE 7.

Although this is disappointing for everyone involved (assuming it's removed), it's important to realize that we've made some tremendous progress in the past few months.  It's also important to know that work is going to continue in earnest, and at the same pace!   The expectation is that we'll complete this work as soon as possible, with or without Java EE 7.

-- Brian

Brian Oliver | JSR107 Co-Spec Lead | Oracle Corporation