from the out of nowhere department:

Daniel Curtis

Mar 1, 2012, 10:53:44 AM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012/03/01/2416315/conservative-publisher-breitbart.html

Conservative publisher Breitbart dies in LA at 43

By PHILIP ELLIOTT and SUE MANNING - Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Conservative media publisher and activist Andrew Breitbart, who was behind investigations that led to the resignations of former Rep. Anthony Weiner of New York and former U.S. Agriculture Department official Shirley Sherrod, has died in Los Angeles. He was 43.

Breitbart's website, bigjournalism.com, announced Thursday he died of natural causes in Los Angeles in the early morning hours. His death was confirmed by breitbart.com editor-in-chief Joel Pollak, who said he was at the hospital, and by the Los Angeles County coroner's office.

Breitbart was walking near his house in the Brentwood neighborhood shortly after midnight Thursday when he collapsed, his father-in-law, Orson Bean, said.

Click here to find out more!

Someone saw him fall and called paramedics, who tried to revive him. They rushed him to the emergency room at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, Bean said.

Breitbart had suffered heart problems a year earlier, but Bean said he could not pinpoint what happened.

"I don't know what to say. It's devastating," Bean told The Associated Press.

Larry Dietz, watch commander at the Los Angeles County coroner's office, said a cause of death was unknown and an autopsy would "more than likely" be conducted.

Reaction to his death was quick.

"RIP 'O Mighty Warrior!" Texas Gov. Rick Perry said in a message on Twitter, the medium where Breitbart confronted his critics with often abrasive messages. Indeed, Breitbart's final message called a follower "a putz."

His online profile, meanwhile, called him a "mild-mannered family guy" and "husky male model."

Media Matters, the liberal watchdog that was a frequent Breitbart critic, said the organization's "thoughts and prayers are with his family today."

"Media Matters has a long history with Andrew Breitbart," Media Matters' Ari Rabin-Havt said. "We've disagreed more than we've found common ground, but there was never any question of Andrew's passion for and commitment to what he believed."

Breitbart was an outspoken critic of the mainstream media but was lionized by his fans for his efforts at exposing government corruption and media bias.

Breitbart was at the center of two video controversies in recent years - one that led to the firing of Sherrod, an Agriculture Department employee, over an edited video of what appeared to be a racist remark, and another that embarrassed the community group ACORN when workers were shown counseling actors posing as a prostitute and pimp.

Sherrod, who is black, was fired from her job as Georgia state rural development director in July 2010 after the video surfaced. She is seen telling a local NAACP group that she was initially reluctant to help a white farmer save his farm more than two decades ago, long before she worked for USDA.

Missing from the clip was the rest of the speech, which was meant as a lesson in racial healing. Sherrod told the crowd she eventually realized her mistake and helped the farmer save his farm. She has since filed a lawsuit against Breitbart.

Breitbart's websites also featured a 2009 hidden-camera sting video that brought embarrassment to the community group ACORN. The videos show ACORN staffers offering advice on taxes and other issues to actors posing as a prostitute and pimp.

Breitbart also sparked a controversy that ultimately led to Weiner's resignation. His problems began on May 28 when Bretibart's biggovernment.com posted a lewd photograph of an underwear-clad crotch and said it had been sent from Weiner's Twitter account to a Seattle woman.

Initially, Weiner lied, saying his account had been hacked. But he pointedly did not report the incident to law enforcement - a step that could have led the way to charges of wrongdoing far more serious than mere sexting.

Additionally, his public denials were less than solid - particularly when he told an interviewer that he could not "say with certitude" that he wasn't the man in the underwear photo.

Weiner's spokesman said the photo was just "a distraction" and that the congressman "doesn't know the person named by the hacker."

The congressman denied sending the photo and said he had retained an attorney and hired a private security company to figure out how someone could pull off such a prank.

But Weiner dropped that story line on June 6, offering a lengthy public confession at a Manhattan news conference, acknowledging to online activity involving at least six women.

It was a remarkable turn of events for the brash Weiner, who conceded to a "hugely regrettable" lapse in judgment.

Breitbart is survived by his wife, Susannah Bean Breitbart, and four children.

Kyle Curtis

Mar 1, 2012, 11:18:43 AM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
What a shock.  I'm in mourning.

Not.

Brent Wolters

Mar 1, 2012, 11:19:21 AM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
The haters on the left (but I repeat myself) will be rejoicing no doubt.  Sad.

Kyle Curtis

Mar 1, 2012, 11:24:26 AM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
Brent, what is there to rejoice about the passing of an inconsequential sad hate-filled little man?

Daniel Curtis

Mar 1, 2012, 12:36:16 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
you mess with the weiner, you get the shaft?

Kyle Curtis

Mar 1, 2012, 12:39:12 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
Just to make Brent feel better, I'll find all the comments made by the Freepers when Ted Kennedy passed away, and just swap out Breitbart's name.

How would that work for you, Brent?

Daniel Curtis

Mar 1, 2012, 12:40:12 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
the only problem with that is putting breitbart on the same level as teddy.

Noah Walden

Mar 1, 2012, 12:48:45 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
Never mind what the Freepers said. Let's look at what Breitbart said after Kennedy died (lest we forget to celebrate what Andy lived his life for).

In the hours immediately following Senator Ted Kennedy's death, Breitbart called Kennedy a "villain", a "duplicitous bastard", a "prick" and "a special pile of human excrement."

So, while I generally eschew ripping on the recently passed, I'd say it's open season...

Kyle Curtis

Mar 1, 2012, 12:51:29 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
Noah, don't be a "hater."

Daniel Curtis

Mar 1, 2012, 1:04:01 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
how long until the "assassination" theories start coming in?

Noah Walden

Mar 1, 2012, 1:27:50 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
I know, such a 'hater.' Libs are just sooooo mean! Sad. Boo fuckity hoo.

Brent Wolters

Mar 1, 2012, 1:49:29 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
Conspiracy theories abound....

Noah Walden

Mar 1, 2012, 1:55:12 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
That's perfect! Because Breitbart always looked and acted as though he was going to have a heart attack anyway, nobody would suspect it was a CIA hit job!

Daniel Curtis

Mar 1, 2012, 1:58:42 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
yeah, apparently he had some heart issues last year, obviously they didn't use a big enough dart that time.

Juneau Smog

Mar 1, 2012, 2:54:37 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
I'm all for a ticker tape parade in celebration of Breitbart's not soon enough demise, but since Republican legislators and councilmen won't even allow ticker tape parades for our returning soldiers from Iraq, then I'm sure one for Breitbart's death is out of the question.
Follow even more exciting misadventures in politics on the Jsmog Live Blog: http://juneausmog.com

Brent Wolters

Mar 1, 2012, 5:15:15 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com

Can we place our fond remembrance of Andrew Breitbart on hold for just a moment to focus on the key economic concern in America today:  Gas prices!

Just this week, Obama’s own Anti-Energy Secretary, Steven Chu, admitted (what we all know is truethat "the Obama Energy Department really isn’t trying to lower gasoline prices.”

Does this anti-American attitude anger you at all?

Brian Brainerd

Mar 1, 2012, 5:23:57 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com, <jsmog@googlegroups.com>
Is your position that the government should be regulating private business ?

Sent from my time macihine.

Daniel Curtis

Mar 1, 2012, 5:44:33 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
are we somehow "entitled" to cheap gas?

Kyle Curtis

Mar 1, 2012, 5:45:21 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com

Its never the policy of the Energy Dept to lower gas prices.  Are all conservative fucktwits clueless about how gas prices are set?  Because if they were, they probably wouldn't be saber rattling so much about invading Iran, would they?

By the way, the U.S. is producing domestic oil production at the highest levels since 2003.  And we are now a net exporter of refined gasoline.  Some how its making sense for oil companies to send our fuel overseas.  Brian's right.  Clearly, the Obama administration should nationalize the oil companies and actually have some control over gas prices...

Brent Wolters

Mar 1, 2012, 5:51:07 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
Actually just the opposite.  Over-regulation and restrictions is helping to drive up the costs and hurting many in the US who are looking for work.

And really, why would Obama approve lending BILLIONS to Petrobras for offshore drilling, while shutting down our off shore leases here in the US???

And as for Keystone:  Even Bill Clinton has acknowledged that it's time to 'embrace' the idea...

Noah Walden

Mar 1, 2012, 6:01:56 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
I'm amazed that you can see through your tears for Andrew Reichbart to type this drivel, Brent.

Brent Wolters

Mar 1, 2012, 6:03:22 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
"the U.S. is producing domestic oil production at the highest levels since 2003"...  no thanks to the Obama Team...

IMHO, Gretchen Carlson has got to go...  It's hard to be out-smarted by Debbie Wasserman Schultz.  Extremely hard.

Noah Walden

Mar 1, 2012, 6:05:15 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
When someone dies as young as Andrew Reichbart from natural causes, you just have to know that it's because Satan wanted him by his side and couldn't wait any longer...

Brent Wolters

Mar 1, 2012, 6:15:55 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
Why thanks, Noah.

Please enlighten us...Who IYHO is right on Keystone?  Bill Clinton or Obama?

Brent Wolters

Mar 1, 2012, 6:18:31 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
LOL.  I certainly hope that Obama has that attitude while running for re-election....

Brent Wolters

Mar 1, 2012, 6:26:41 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
This Obama vs. Newt debate video is really good.   Suggestion...fast forward to the 2:25 mark...

Does anybody know how old this debate is?

Daniel Curtis

Mar 1, 2012, 6:39:35 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
well, of course he won't. and, of course i'd much rather pay a whole lot less to fill up, but I'm not going to sit around and moan (too much) about the price of gas. gotta expect the oil companies to charge as much as they figure they can get away with.

Alex Romero

Mar 1, 2012, 6:46:31 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
Brent which is it, Regulate or not to Regulate?...Obama should fix the oil business, because he is driving up the costs, because he is fixing it too much?!....HUH?

Sorry to burst your bubble but what did the Oil Companies say was the cause of the price increase again??? (i hear crickets) it wasn't any mention of regulation, it was low barrel numbers increasing demand and cranking up the price per drum....never heard anyone say anything about how Bush was overregulating as the prices zoomed upward...now that Obama is in the chair, its his fault for doing too much i guess...we all know Bush under regulated the Oil, therefore driving up the cost...which means your logic isn't worth the bytes it took to type it....keep trying Chunks, it cracks us up.

Noah Walden

Mar 1, 2012, 7:07:55 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
It's much more important to celebrate the life of Andrew Reichbart on this somberest of days.

William Curtis

Mar 1, 2012, 7:18:22 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
How can Obama lower gas prices by himself? The problem is caused by the lack of regulation of the speculators who are betting that gas
prices are going to go up. Which party voted against oil and gas regulations and continues to vote against them despite the majority wishes to regulate
gas prices? Every source I read indicates there is currently no shortage of gas nor do we need to drill for more oil. Doesn't this sense of greed by Republicans against the
American people anger you all?

Ciao,
Bill

Douglas Fanyak

Mar 1, 2012, 7:21:17 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
Brent~ here's a quickie about how the price of gas is determined...
Expand and Empower ~DF~

William Curtis

Mar 1, 2012, 7:27:09 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com

But here's the truth: high gases prices have nothing to do with lack of available gas in America. That's because for the first time in 62 years - the United States became a net exporter of oil products. In 2011, our nation sent 439,000 more barrels of oil overseas than we imported. That means we're awash in oil and gasoline, it's just in the hands of oil barons who are making more money shipping it overseas than selling it to U.S. customers.

So, drilling in Alaska or in the Gulf won't cut gas prices. Our status as a net exporter of oil also means we're now the world's dirt pit - where the dirty work like refining and processing crude is done, because oil barons don't have to worry about the costs of pollution. We the taxpayers and consumers pay for all the externalities of oil production - from more asthma and cancers to the environmental damage. In the hands of banksters and oil barons, the United States of America is Un-developing and unraveling.

-Thom Hartman
Ciao,
Bill

Daniel Curtis

Mar 1, 2012, 7:59:48 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
it's like we've truly entered the world of the Lorax, and it doesn't matter because they made a Lorax movie and are having it sponsered by companies that are harmful to the environment. "Truffala Tree certified"? seriously, have you guys seen that? ridiculous.

Juneau Smog

Mar 1, 2012, 9:09:54 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
Oh hey everybody, look who suddenly wants to talk about gas prices. Well, first of all, let's all welcome Brent back to the group. We all hope you had a great vacation. I'll try as best I can to get you caught up on all the posts we've made debunking any talking point that high gas prices as the result of anything Obama has done. I know you want to stay caught up and informed so I'll try to give you a quick synopsis of everything we've already talked about, that you've obviously missed while you were away.
First of all, let's go over a few facts about gas prices.
1. Fact: No president has ever had any influence over the price of gas, whether increasing or decreasing, ever. Not Reagan, not Bush Sr or Jr, not Clinton, not Carter, not Nixon, no president, ever, not one penny.
2. Fact: Domestic energy production has soared under President Obama.
3. Fact: President Obama has taken huge steps to reduce our dependence on oil.
4. Fact: Big oil made a record $137 BILLION in profits last year.
5. Fact: Republican politicians refuse to end taxpayer handouts to big oil.
6: Fact: Republican politicians want to cut big oil’s taxes even more.
All these facts are referenced and sourced in this post here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/jsmog/BWCoPt9WwcU
And I even took the time to debunk everything from directly where you get your information here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/jsmog/er0s-5N8-rU
It's yet time once again to say, give it a rest already.

Brent Wolters

Mar 1, 2012, 9:15:41 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
Yes or no...

Are gas price increases driven mostly by speculators?

Juneau Smog

Mar 1, 2012, 9:18:18 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
tumblr_lzvz3uGwVi1r4k4dho1_500.png

Juneau Smog

Mar 1, 2012, 9:54:53 PM3/1/12
to js...@googlegroups.com
Really? That's the question of the day? Not "Why is Brent always wrong?" Not "Why are Republicans idiots?"

The Conservative Disney owned ABC News’ Mark Greenblatt Reports:

Every time you fill up your car with gas, your dollar ends up in the hands of a wide range of interests from around the world. Some of your money goes to oil companies, some of what you pay goes to refineries, and more still gets divided up by the gas stations you stop at.

What may surprise you, however, is what one of Wall Street’s top regulators has to say about who else you’re paying: speculators on Wall Street.

Bart Chilton, a commissioner at the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, the federal agency that regulates commodity futures and option trading in the United States, said it’s time to look at home — in addition to overseas — when searching for the reasons why gas prices are on the rise.

“I’m fired up,” Chilton said. “I’m concerned and we have to look after consumers.”

According to Chilton, much of the problem is actually “made in the USA,” created by Wall Street traders who gamble on oil prices.

“There aren’t markets without speculation,” Chilton told ABC News. “It’s the excessive speculation we are concerned about.”

Chilton, who has served as commissioner since 2007, said far too few players control far too much of the market, allowing them to push the price of gas higher and higher. Chilton and the CFTC are attempting to implement caps on the total positions speculators can take when trading in the oil futures markets.

Chilton obtained an energy research report from Goldman Sachs spelling out how much the Wall Street firm estimated speculators had pushed up the real price of oil sold to make gas, due to large bets in the markets.

Using the numbers from in the Goldman Sachs report, combined with current information from the CFTC, Chilton calculated how much speculation is driving up the price at the pump for the average consumer.

He shared calculations with ABC News for the first time.

By Chilton’s calculation, if you drive a car like a Honda Civic, you’re paying $7.30 more than you should every time you fill up — to Wall Street speculators. If your car is a Ford Explorer you’re paying an extra $10.41.

For a Ford F150, he says owners pay an additional $14.56 per fill up -or more than $750 a year.

For their part, industry groups representing Wall Street say there is no evidence their trading activities actually push up the price of oil.

Chilton isn’t doesn’t buy that argument. He and the CFTC are currently attempting to implement new rules that would put limits on speculation. In response, Wall Street is suing the CFTC attempting to get an injunction, which would allow everything to remain status quo.

“They don’t want these limits,” he said. “They want unbridled ability to speculate in these markets and that’s not good for consumers. It’s not good for markets. It’s not good for the economy.”