Issues with codecs in Google Chrome after updating to 36.0.1985.125

Miłek Pe

Jul 18, 2014, 6:55:17 PM7/18/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Today I updated Chrome to the latest stable version. Since I'm currently working on new custom radio player based on jP, I quickly noticed two REALLY annoying issues:
  1. Has Google changed something with mime type recognition? It looks like Chrome dropped its support for mp3 with html5, but I did a quick test with simple opening a mp3 file in browser and it worked like nothing ever happend. Flash + mp3 works fine.
  2. (this one is terrible) A radiostation which I'm working in casts an audio stream over an icecast server. Now, since the update of Chrome, everytime when song changes, the jPlayer throws an 'undefined' error and so it stops playback (occurs with html + oga).

Jonathan2

Jul 19, 2014, 1:13:20 AM7/19/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is quite a long-running known bug (originally found and reported by me :) which seems to be affecting a lot of people, but fortunately from the looks of the last two entries, the Chrome team are FINALLY fixing it !

The latest responses are:

You can work around this if you just use audio/mpeg instead. audio/mpeg; codecs="mp3" is not actually RFC 3003 compliant which is why this broke when we tightened up our mimetype handling. We are working on a fix to allow this non-compliant form again, but if you have the ability to change the mimetype being used, you should switch to something that is more spec compliant.

and

Fix canPlayType() support for non-RFC compliant mp3 mimetype. The 'audio/mpeg; codecs="mp3"' mimetype is not RFC 3003 compliant, but a
bunch of sites apparently use it. This change restores the behavior that
was in M35 and earlier and returns "probably" for this mimetype.

If you want to keep track of progress, head over to the Chromium bug tracker and "star" the issue.

I've contacted the jPlayer dev team 4 times in the last few weeks and not had any response at all, so I hope everything is OK.

In the meantime, if you wish to try a temporary workaround, "Thomas" suggests "supplied" and "setmedia" options to "m4a", but actually linking to an mp3.

See this post for full details.

Here's the full current list of tickets and forum posts I'm aware of relating to this:

jPlayer bug report:

Chromium bug report: HTML5 mp3 feature detection fails on Chrome > 35

jPlayer 2.6.0 on Chrome 37 Win 8.1 is not playing mp3 natively.

Always flash fallback in Chrome > 35

jPlayer not playing after chrome 35 >

jPlayer 2.6.0 on Chrome 37 Win 8.1 is not playing mp3 natively.

Issues with codecs in Google Chrome after updating to 36.0.1985.125

Issues with jPlayer and latest Chrome? Falls back to SWF.

Kosso K

Jul 21, 2014, 12:58:39 PM7/21/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
I'm having the exact same issue (and I also built a system for a live commercial radio station).

Very very very annoying.

These "oh-so-useful" automatic updates in the background are always breaking things.  This is why in the past, I would never EVER update any application until a few weeks after a "STABLE" release getting on in the wild (which invariable gets another update).

Jonathan2

Jul 21, 2014, 1:28:22 PM7/21/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Fortunately, there's a fix!

CHANGE LINE 714 of jquery.jplayer.js FROM

codec: 'audio/mpeg; codecs="mp3"',

codec: 'audio/mpeg;',

I just test this cross-browser and it works.

Miłek Pe

Jul 21, 2014, 6:45:21 PM7/21/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Jonathan, I've just came to this a couple of hours ago :) (maybe just without the semicolon after 'audio/mpeg')
Great finding, it'll certainly help many people!

Despite, I've managed to get around the bug with ogg playback.

It striked me, that this must be somewhat linked with an improper metadata handling, so what I did was basically turn off sending metadata to the encoder! It worked!
Now, this is of course useless if you need the metadata, so nevertheless - it must be fixed in the interiors of Chrome/Chromium.

Cheers!

Wouter de Geringel

Jul 23, 2014, 10:49:11 AM7/23/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Works like a charm. Thank you very much Jonathan2...you just made my day (a little less crappy)

Евгений Попов

Jul 23, 2014, 5:48:06 PM7/23/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Thx you man! You save a lot of my time and let me sleep well this night :)