Review: French Impressions

vivienne

Jan 27, 2012, 4:26:35 PM1/27/12
to joshua-b...@googlegroups.com

vivienne

Jan 29, 2012, 9:55:03 PM1/29/12
to joshua-b...@googlegroups.com

Here's a wonderful review from the Winnipeg Free Press.

CLASSICAL

JOSHUA BELL; JEREMY DENK

French Impressions (Sony)

NOT many violinists play with the finesse and spotless technique Joshua Bell shows so consistently in everything he records. Both Saint-Saëns and Ravel are beneficiaries here with the former's Violin Sonata No. 1 beautifully aerated; the quicksilver finale is especially fleet with reserves of facility barely tapped. Pianist Jeremy Denk emulates Bell's "gravity free" elegant ways, as Denk comments in his perceptive notes about French music. Ravel's Violin Sonata scores well too as its bluesy centrepiece is ideally caught and the echoes of his jazzy Piano Concerto No. 1 is affectionately recalled elsewhere.

Cesar Franck's Violin Sonata is a weightier affair, though, its cyclic moods needing deeper, darker hues and its finale more the feeling of sunrise than cleared mist. Still, if you want this great work with less rhetoric than usual, this one will fill the bill. Three and a half stars

-- James Manishen

gianguido mussomeli

Feb 9, 2012, 4:44:39 PM2/9/12
to joshua-b...@googlegroups.com

vivienne

Feb 9, 2012, 7:48:18 PM2/9/12
to joshua-b...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Gianguido!!!

a c

Feb 12, 2012, 9:23:58 PM2/12/12
to joshua-b...@googlegroups.com
Grazie Gianguido!

a c

Feb 12, 2012, 9:26:17 PM2/12/12
to joshua-b...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vivienne,

Thanks a lot for keeping this group alive! What you think that we start a new forum?

vivienne

Feb 13, 2012, 8:00:47 PM2/13/12
to joshua-b...@googlegroups.com
You're Welcome, Ana!!!

Yes, I would love to start a new forum for Joshua's Fans.