External Communications Leader appointment discussion - Sandra Ordonez

Ryan W. Ozimek

Jun 21, 2011, 10:59:34 AM6/21/11
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joomla leadership,

It's my pleasure to share with you my recommended appointment for External Communications Leader:  Sandra Ordonez.  This position is not a board member position, but is rather a high-level volunteer staff position within OSM.  More information on the roles and responsibilities of this position can be found on this public document at http://bit.ly/jzHDXI.

Sandra has graciously answered my questions for her, below, provided for your thoughts and input as well.

This email thread provides our leadership teams and OSM an opportunity to share your thoughts in this appointment.  By providing a more transparent appointment process, I hope that we can more effectively build a process for selecting new leaders on our team, and enable our fellow leaders to have their questions answered as well.

It would please me greatly to see other teams do this as well for high-level appointments.

I'll keep this thread open until June 26, 2011 at 5pm ET (New York time), and then, unless there is significant reasons against it, I will officially appoint Sandra to the position of External Communications Leader within OSM.

Thank you all for your thoughts, questions and input!

Best,
Ryan

External Communications Leader (http://bit.ly/jzHDXI)
Sandra Ordonez

1. What professional experience do you bring to this leadership position?

Seasoned Public Relations Professional
She is a seasoned public relations professional with over 15 years of experience. She graduated from American University in 1997 with a double degree in Public Relations and International Studies. A closeted geek, she immediately combining her PR and web skills, simultaneously serving as webmaster and director of communications for several organizations. Sandra can effectively pitch reporters, create promotional materials, execute marketing campaigns, handle crisis communications, organize international conferences, board training and leadership cultivation, and much more.

Additionally, she has done this with international media and audiences thanks to her cross-cultural training, and language skills. (She speaks Spanish fluently, and has working knowledge of French and Portuguese).

Nonprofit and Starup Experience
Sandra has mostly worked for nonprofits and/or startups. She has has received extensive training on fundraising, nonprofit management and membership cultivation, but most importantly understands how to work in an environment with limited resources. This is greatly enhanced by her D.C. and New York context, considering these two cities are global leaders in nonprofit management training.

Seasoned Web Professional
In regards to web, Sandra served as one of the first Web Producer for AOL Time Warner, helping them launch their first websites for Book-of-the-Month Club. She worked for Wikipedia, where she became familiar with the worlds of open source and free culture. Most recently, she creates websites and digital strategies for diverse organizations, which includes SEO, SEM, social media, etc. Her two most recent clients include: The New School University, The African American Policy Forum. Additionally, she has recently taken a job with Truthout.org, serving as their Manager of Technology and Community Outreach. She also routinely writes for PBS Mediashift, an online pub for journalists and new media professionals.

Joomla
Sandra began using Joomla in 2007, when she became a full-time communications/web/digital strategy consultant. In fact, her tag has been: Web chic who hearts joomla and collaboration :)

2. What are some measureable results/success of your past experience?

The most important for this position, is my experience at Wikipedia. However, i would recommend they check out my resume to see accomplishments at different orgs. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HqUUdNEajZMV2_98X0A5oqojSRX1upWUpGDTUBEucWw/edit?hl=en&pli=1

3. What are your goals within this leadership position?

Use my communications and nonprofit management expertise to help joomla org get to the next step.

Introduce more audiences to Joomla, and make sure we are properly cultivating existing audiences.

Help the joomla community have smoohter processes in regards to communications, and provide them with the tools they need to so they can become more self reliant and "own" their messaging. (ie, for example, find and train people in different regions so they can serve as "PR reps" for their local media.)

4. How will you build/sustain a team of volunteers that will aid your efforts?

I'm a communicator :) I love people and I LOVEEE collaboration.  Many times i find volunteers seem to pop up if you create an environment that makes them worth their while. (ie, as volunteers, people want to be feel good and get something beneficial out of their experience.) and that makes it easy to volunteer in. (if the process is cumbersome, you are creating resistance, and people chose the path of least resistance.) So, designing a easy and intuitive volunteer communications "center' will be essential for me.

5. How much time can you give to this particular position, per week?

Average of 8 hours per week. Some weeks more, some weeks less :)

Ryan Ozimek
President
Open Source Matters (Joomla's non-profit organization)
Email: ryan....@opensourcematters.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/cozimek

JM Simonet

Jun 21, 2011, 12:59:39 PM6/21/11
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
LOL
the position is already in the resume...

Nice background btw.

JM

Please keep the Subject wording in your answers
This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. You must not disclose or use the information contained in this e-mail if you are not the
intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies.
Jean-Marie Simonet  /  infograf768
Joomla Leadership Team - Production Working group
Joomla! Translation Coordination Team

Matt Lipscomb

Jun 21, 2011, 5:56:30 PM6/21/11
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
@Ryan:  for clarification - this is a volunteer position or a paid position?

@Sandra:  Your background seems excellent and I'm excited to see someone with such skills available to the project.

~Matt

Ryan O

Jun 21, 2011, 6:20:24 PM6/21/11
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

This is a high-level volunteer staff position within OSM.  It is not a paid position.

Cheers,
Ryan

Louis Landry

Jun 25, 2011, 3:04:59 PM6/25/11
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Awesome.

- Louis

Development Coordinator
Joomla! ... because open source matters.
http://www.joomla.org

Ryan Ozimek

Jun 27, 2011, 3:41:59 PM6/27/11
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

It is with great pleasure that I officially appoint and congratulate Sandra ("Sandy") Ordonez as our
External Communications Leader, a new volunteer staff position within OSM!

@Sandy:  congratulations on the appointment, let us know how we can help you be successful in your position!

I will be making a blog post soon to announce this to the community more generally.

Sincerely,
Ryan