Transitioning to the Framework

Andrew Eddie

Mar 24, 2013, 7:59:24 PM3/24/13
to JPlatform
This is just a heads up for the next few steps in the process of transitioning from Platform to Framework.

In the next day or so we'll closing this mailing list and making it read-only. Any questions you have about the new Joomla Framework (using, fixing, converting to, future vision, changes, etc) can be asked here:

Any questions about the CMS should be made on the General or CMS mailing lists.

For developers that need support for using the current Platform for custom applications (that is, not the CMS or a CMS extension), please use the Framework mailing list for now.

We've also processed a lot of the pull request backlog in the Joomla Platform repository and when that is cleared out we'll be tagging a final 13.1 release and then freezing the repository (as best we can anyway). Any fixes that are necessary for the CMS will be done against the CMS repository.

Once we've tagged 13.1, we will need to ensure we copy all viable changes across to the Framework packages. We'd love your help in doing that.

Just a reminder that the API documentation can be found at http://joomla.github.com/joomla-framework/index.html and there is a README file in each package intended to give you basic usage information. Not all the README's are complete so we'd also love your help in that area as. It doesn't matter how small the contribution is.

Finally, there's an old saying amongst the Joomla community that "it's done when it's done". We think we can do a lot better than that so here's the list of things to do to be able to ship version 1.0 of the Joomla Framework:

^^^ When all those are done, it's done ;)

There are also some longer range, lower priority things you can do for other milestones. See here:

If you can help with any of these things, it would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any final questions about the transition, speak now, for this list will be closing soon.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie

Paul D. Bain

Mar 25, 2013, 4:43:22 PM3/25/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Eddie
On 3/24/2013 7:59 PM, Andrew Eddie wrote:
> This is just a heads up for the next few steps in the process of
> transitioning from Platform to Framework.
>
> In the next day or so we'll closing this mailing list

Honestly, this line immediately above should have been the subject line
of this email message. I do NOT understand why this announcement is
being made in such a manner. It makes no sense to me at all.

Had I not read the second paragraph, I would have had no warning
_whatsoever_ that this mailing list was being shut down, and that a new
one was taking its place.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain

Chad Windnagle

Mar 25, 2013, 4:54:12 PM3/25/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
The subject attracted your attention and got you to read the full message. Point made.

Small Logo
Chad Windnagle
s-go Consulting
607-330-2574 x103
607-229-6260 (Cell)
Website Design - SEO - Video

Follow Me: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter

Andrew Eddie

Mar 25, 2013, 5:27:18 PM3/25/13
to JPlatform
I'm glad we got your attention. I'll take a note of your suggestion about the subject when I actually do close the list.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie

Amy Stephen

Mar 25, 2013, 7:23:50 PM3/25/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Paul (and others) - if you are on twitter, these are good people to follow so that you are always in the loop with the Framework.

@AndrewEddie
@Dilbert4Life
@mbabker
@drmmr763
@redwebdk

Paul D. Bain

Mar 25, 2013, 7:54:38 PM3/25/13
On 3/25/2013 7:23 PM, Amy Stephen wrote:
> Paul (and others) - if you are on twitter, these are good people to
> follow so that you are always in the loop with the Framework.
>
> @AndrewEddie
> @Dilbert4Life
> @mbabker
> @drmmr763