Supported elements in extensions manifests

Hannes Papenberg

Mar 2, 2012, 4:44:57 PM3/2/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,
I'm doing a bit research to improve my understanding of the current
capabilities of the manifest files and started documenting which tags
are supported in which extension types. You can find the table here:
http://docs.joomla.org/Manifest_files/Elements

Now I have some questions:

1. In the test packages, we can find the tags <tables> and
<dependencies>, but they are not used in the code anywhere yet. Is that
for future features? How is this supposed to work?

2. In the code you can find some comments that say that the main
applications language folder is actually deprecated and that you should
store your translation files in the extensions respective folder. Which
is the way to go here? Should we store our translation files in the
/language folder or in our extensions folder? If the later, why have the
/language folder at all?

3. There are some deprecation comments in the installer code that say
"remove after 1.6" and which are still there. Is this going to be
dropped now for 3.0? Or, in the light of the recent backwards
compatibility discussion, is this going to be kept around for longer?

Thanks for your help,
Hannes

JM Simonet

Mar 3, 2012, 4:41:45 AM3/3/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com

>2. In the code you can find some comments that say that the main
>applications language folder is actually deprecated and that you should
>store your translation files in the extensions respective folder. Which
>is the way to go here? Should we store our translation files in the
>/language folder or in our extensions folder? If the later, why have the
>/language folder at all?

Hope this is not concerning the CMS. Both are now possible and it
should stay this way IMHO.

JM
--
>Please keep the Subject wording in your answers
This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. You must not
disclose or use the information contained in this e-mail if you are
not the
intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf768
Joomla Production Working group
Joomla! Translation Coordination Team

Hannes Papenberg

JSamir

Mar 3, 2012, 7:14:01 AM3/3/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Hannes, its nice to see some people working on the docs.

Ian

Mar 3, 2012, 2:30:58 PM3/3/12

On Friday, 2 March 2012 16:44:57 UTC-5, Hannes Papenberg wrote:
Hi folks,
I'm doing a bit research to improve my understanding of the current
capabilities of the manifest files and started documenting which tags
are supported in which extension types. You can find the table here:
http://docs.joomla.org/Manifest_files/Elements

Now I have some questions:

1. In the test packages, we can find the tags <tables> and
<dependencies>, but they are not used in the code anywhere yet. Is that
for future features? How is this supposed to work?

This was put in so we can support dependencies in the future.

2. In the code you can find some comments that say that the main
applications language folder is actually deprecated and that you should
store your translation files in the extensions respective folder. Which
is the way to go here? Should we store our translation files in the
/language folder or in our extensions folder? If the later, why have the
/language folder at all?

For best practices sake it should go in the extension's folder, but for legacy reasons support is provided for a global languages folder.  I would imagine the mechanism for this will change in the platform but that is how things are at this point in time.

Ian

Elin Waring

Mar 3, 2012, 3:12:25 PM3/3/12
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
As a practical matter right now you need to do both or certain strings will not be translated. It's very strange but true.

Elin

piotr_cz

Mar 8, 2012, 6:14:17 AM3/8/12
to Joomla! Platform Development
As for 2)
I've developed few extensions for a closed project in J1.7 - 2.5. I
always place language files in extensions language subfolder (very
convenient) and so far this worked everywhere (plugin/ component/
module/ template for site and admin). Extension translations override
native translations.