com_messages frontend

Nils Rückmann

Feb 9, 2012, 5:40:19 PM2/9/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

is there any reason why we don't use com_messages on the frontend (or registered users) ?

Ofer Cohen

Feb 11, 2012, 5:35:15 AM2/11/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

You're more than welcome to develop such feature in the front-end.

Ofer Cohen
Joomlics Anonymous Group

On 02/10/2012 12:40 AM, Nils Rückmann wrote:

Hi,

is there any reason why we don't use com_messages on the frontend (or registered users) ?

Nils Rückmann

Feb 12, 2012, 4:14:30 AM2/12/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
That's my idea ;)

But as this feature never was implented i'm starting to wonder if it's like a convention that we youse com_messages only for administrators.

Nils Rückmann

Feb 12, 2012, 5:34:29 AM2/12/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Addition: Does anybody know what "folder_id" is for ?

elin

Feb 12, 2012, 7:56:25 AM2/12/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I think I have heard Andrew (but maybe it was someone else) say that com_messages is just not built to handle large volumes of messages, so all the more reason for someone to really have a go at improving it.

I suspect that folder_id either is one of those old fields that isn't used any more or was an idea (like allowing you to put messages into folders?) that was never implemented.

Elin

Nils Rückmann

Feb 12, 2012, 9:59:14 AM2/12/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
i don't understand why we put a column which we "probably" need to table .. but that's general thing ..

How can com_messages not build for large volumes of messages ? We should add a column to track answers,
but even then the table can't be more simple.

And as we have to built a new frontend the code shouldn't be the problem.

Maybe we could open a com_messages project on github, so everybody can see and "improve" the code before we start pull to the cms.

elin

Feb 12, 2012, 2:11:51 PM2/12/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Go for it. The worst that happens is you learn a lot have have a great extension at the end. And maybe it gets incorporated into the core, that's the icing on the cake.

I don't think tracking replies is as simple as adding one column, you would probably want threading so lft and rgt at least.

Elin

Nils Rückmann

Feb 12, 2012, 2:24:58 PM2/12/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
okay you're right, nested sets could be usefull ;)

Andrew Eddie

Feb 13, 2012, 12:45:01 AM2/13/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Gosh, a blast from the past.  `folder_id` was supposed to allow for future PM folders.  The whole component is very old and either needs a complete reboot, or just drop it.  I think it would be a safe bet that it's not well used and that there are better, custom solutions available on the JED.  My feeling would be to drop it from core but if you are interested in making it work, start up a repo on github where other interested developers might get involved, or get involved with an existing free solution.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie

David-Andrew

Feb 15, 2012, 3:06:20 PM2/15/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
+1 on "My feeling would be to drop it from core"

There are indeed already more advanced solutions here:

And for slightly other scenarios: