Redirect, Plugins Manager and General Update

Andrew Eddie

Nov 13, 2009, 7:25:35 AM11/13/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Just a note to say that the Redirect component is now fixed (seemed to
have some issues previously) and fully refactored. Write up can be
found here if you haven't seen it already:

http://community.joomla.org/blogs/community/1071-a-preview-of-link-redirection-in-joomla-16.html

There are two good suggestions from the forum regarding this
component. First is to record the number of hits on a recorded 404 to
help with triage. Second is to add a simple but optional selector for
an existing menu link in the new url. Neither should be particularly
difficult to implement.

Plugins manager is fully refactored. All plugin XML files have had
their <params> upgraded to <fields> and, like with templates and
menus, it's possible to have any number of option panes (modules is
yet to have this added). I altered the ordering processing a bit on
plugins to be non-sequential. This will make it easier to keep those
that need to fire first first, and those last last (if that makes
sense).

A couple of things need to be looked at and done regarding plugins:

1. We need to check the ordering of the core plugins. For example,
system redirect and cache should be firing early; content pagebreak
should be firing last.

2. Plugins now support folder based installation just like modules.
Personally I think we should commit to the new format and not
mix-and-match. A volunteer to move them around an assemble a patch
would be appreciated.

3. Language strings need to be updated in all the plugin XML files.
The Debug plugin is a good example of what to aim for. A volunteer
for this would also be appreciated.

4. Plugins language files seem to be inconsistently represented in
both the frontend and the backend. I seem to recall we had some
discussion about this but can't for the life of me remember what the
conclusion was. I think it should be one or the other.

To date the following backend extensions have been standardised
(whether the "standard" is perfect or not remains to be seen, but at
least the code is highly consistent):

Weblinks
Users
Templates
Redirect
Plugins
Newsfeeds
Languages (I think - need to check)
Config (I think - need to check)
Content

I'll be into Modules next week and also attend to some problem areas
in Menus. If anyone has had a go at refactoring any of the other
backend components (in line with those listed above) please let me
know.

Here is a quick shortlist of other jobs people might like to pick up on:

1. We are moving away from JParameter to JForm. As such, we need to
check that all existing JParameter elements are covered by JForm
fields.

2. Module XML files need to be changed from using <params> to
<fields>. This is generally just a search and replace but the name of
the param type and the field type may vary slightly (probably just in
the inflection).

3. Module language strings need to be standardised.

4. All component, plugin, module, language and template
manifest/install XML file should be fully updated as if they where
installable. That includes a correct <files> and language list.

These aren't terribly glamorous jobs but they are important. We've
suffered from the code being inconsistent for too long and it's one of
the reasons behind getting bogged down in these long release cycles
(among other things, I know, I know). Once we have code standardised,
it's going to be a heck of a lot easier to get into the freaky cool
stuff we all know is possible (not to mention set the best possible
example for community developers to follow).

Thanks to those who have chipped in with various things over the last
couple of weeks - it's been appreciated.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Amy Stephen

Nov 23, 2009, 1:32:12 PM11/23/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Andrew -

Fotis Evangelou, Stian Didriksen and I are willing to help with the
Plugin changes needed.

If you could let us know where to work and recommend someone
(yourself?) to help with questions, we will get started on your list.

Thanks!
Amy

On 13 Nov, 06:25, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a note to say that the Redirect component is now fixed (seemed to
> have some issues previously) and fully refactored.  Write up can be
> found here if you haven't seen it already:
>
> http://community.joomla.org/blogs/community/1071-a-preview-of-link-re...
> Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com- the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Ercan Özkaya

Nov 23, 2009, 1:39:28 PM11/23/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi,

I already completed #2 on plugins but was unable to merge my work.
(because of either Subversion's stupidity or mine) It's in the
plugin_dirs branch so you can start from there.
> > Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com-the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Amy Stephen

Nov 23, 2009, 1:54:25 PM11/23/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Can you provide the three of us access?

And, will you be our guide? she asked hopefully!
> > > Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com-theart of becoming a Joomla developer

Andrew Eddie

Nov 23, 2009, 7:05:18 PM11/23/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
2009/11/24 Amy Stephen <amyst...@gmail.com>:

> Can you provide the three of us access?

Can you collect the joomlacode username? Thanks.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Amy Stephen

Nov 23, 2009, 10:18:44 PM11/23/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

Here you go:

Joomlaworks (Fotis Evangelou)

stipsan (Stian Didriksen)

AmyStephen (me. :) )

Thanks!

Andrew Eddie

Nov 23, 2009, 10:29:08 PM11/23/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

Sam will undoubtedly get to that when he has a free moment.

And before you say it, yes, there is a better system coming soon.
You'll hear about it Saturday week.

When you do go gunning, please keep us updated on list and also
remember it's your responsibility to keep your own branches sync'd
with trunk. I recommend doing it daily.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Amy Stephen

Nov 23, 2009, 11:00:58 PM11/23/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Andrew Eddie <mamb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks.

Sam will undoubtedly get to that when he has a free moment.

OK.  If he just posts here, then we'll know.

And before you say it, yes, there is a better system coming soon.
You'll hear about it Saturday week.

Looking forward to it.

When you do go gunning, please keep us updated on list

Most definitely, Andrew.

and also
remember it's your responsibility to keep your own branches sync'd
with trunk.  I recommend doing it daily.

K, thanks.

JoomlaWorks

Nov 24, 2009, 1:02:35 PM11/24/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
I can verify that my account on joomlacode.org is "joomlaworks".

Thanks Amy and Andrew.

Stian Didriksen

Nov 24, 2009, 8:36:40 PM11/24/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
My account are indeed "stipsan".
I got enough free time on my hands to get cracking this Friday :)

As for plugins language files location, I recommend using strictly
the /root/languages/ and not using /root/administrator/languages/ for
that at all.
Reason why is that the location of the plugin files isn't on the admin
side, so neither should the language files imo.

Amy Stephen

Nov 25, 2009, 3:27:51 PM11/25/09
to Joomla! CMS Development

Thanks, Sam, for providing access to Fotis, Stian, and myself to
Ercan's branch.

We can access the branch here -> http://joomlacode.org/svn/joomla/development/branches/plugin_dirs

It's a big family holiday the next few days in the US. So, my
involvement will be in and out.

Thanks!

Stian Didriksen

Nov 27, 2009, 6:09:06 PM11/27/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
I'm a little unsure how to proceed here. Do we just continue working
on that branch then have someone do a "all for one, one for all" merge
to trunk or submit a patch?

I'll just commit to the plugin_dirs branch until further notice just
to get some work done :)

Amy Stephen

Nov 27, 2009, 6:25:05 PM11/27/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that's how i understand it.

Do you want to do a quick skype meeting with Fotis and myself, and get a game plan? That might be good. We need to make sure to share our plans in this thread - and also via the wiki. http://docs.joomla.org/Refactoring_Plugins

Fotis around? :)

Andrew Eddie

Nov 27, 2009, 8:36:51 PM11/27/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
There are no hard and fast rules about how you should do this, just
find the best groove that works for you. The end result would be to
create a diff patch that I can drop over the trunk - that would be the
most convenient if it's possible. I recommend merging down from the
trunk daily so you don't get too far out of sync but I don't think
much action is taking place in the files you'll be touching.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Stian Didriksen

Nov 27, 2009, 8:50:21 PM11/27/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Good advice.
We just recently experienced some troubles on a branch on the Nooku FW
where it came too far out of sync with the trunk.
So I'll just make sure I'm up to speed as I think it's better to be
safe than sorry ;)

On Nov 28, 2:36 am, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are no hard and fast rules about how you should do this, just
> find the best groove that works for you.  The end result would be to
> create a diff patch that I can drop over the trunk - that would be the
> most convenient if it's possible.  I recommend merging down from the
> trunk daily so you don't get too far out of sync but I don't think
> much action is taking place in the files you'll be touching.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com- the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Marco

Nov 27, 2009, 9:18:34 PM11/27/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hello,

I'm going to make the modules installable, starting with the front end
modules.

Regards, Marco

Andrew Eddie

Nov 29, 2009, 7:04:31 PM11/29/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Marco.

Appreciate it.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Marco

Nov 30, 2009, 8:11:29 AM11/30/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
The xml installer for frontend modules are finished.
I have submitted the patch to the patch tracker. A short feedback if I
have done this right would be nice. Then I can start with the back end
modules.

Regards, Marco

On 30 Nov., 01:04, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Marco.
>
> Appreciate it.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com- the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Louis Landry

Dec 11, 2009, 6:25:39 PM12/11/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Amy, Fotis, and Stian,

How's the branch coming?  Do we have something ready to merge back down to trunk?  You guys need feedback on anything?

Cheers,
Louis

Development Coordinator
Joomla! ... because open source matters.
http://www.joomla.org

Louis Landry

Dec 21, 2009, 4:35:00 PM12/21/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Nothing?

- Louis

Andrew Eddie

Jan 19, 2010, 12:36:38 AM1/19/10
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Just following up on this one. JM has finished the plugin folder
conversion (thanks) and I've given the XML file task to other people.

2009/12/22 Louis Landry <louis....@joomla.org>

Marco

Jan 20, 2010, 3:06:36 AM1/20/10
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hey, I'm going to do the xml for frontend components next, if nobody
working at it... (?)
Regards, Marco

On 19 Jan., 06:36, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just following up on this one.  JM has finished the plugin folder
> conversion (thanks) and I've given the XML file task to other people.
>
> Regards,

> Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com- the art of becoming a Joomla developer
>

> 2009/12/22 Louis Landry <louis.lan...@joomla.org>
>

> > Nothing?
> > - Louis

> > On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Louis Landry <louis.lan...@joomla.org> wrote:
>
> >> Amy, Fotis, and Stian,
> >> How's the branch coming?  Do we have something ready to merge back down to trunk?  You guys need feedback on anything?
> >> Cheers,
> >> Louis

Mark Dexter

Jan 20, 2010, 12:24:26 PM1/20/10
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marco. We have a branch where we are working on front-end
components. Perhaps it would make sense for you to work with us on
this branch? Let me know and we can coordinate this. Thanks. Mark