Proposed Field Changes

elin

Jul 19, 2012, 11:58:23 AM7/19/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm working on the sql files, with new versions to come for alpha2.

With one eye on reducing the number of unused andconfusing fields and the other on increasing standardization (which allows us to reduce code and also gradually move toward a simpler unified content model with potentially less painful migrations) I would like to propose the following changes:

#__content

delete:
sid
archived
approved

#__contact_details

delete:
ordering
impagepos

Add:
(question: hits, version)

#__menu
delete:
ordering

#_newsfeeds
delete:
filename

add;
featured
images
description
(question: hits, version)

#__weblinks
delete:
sid
archived
approved

add:
images
(question: version)

I think it would make sense to go ahead and add hits and version everywhere they are not since as we simplify we will end up with them anyway--I don't think the performance hits are so huge given that these are the less prominent extensions.

By the way my talk at JAB on Unified Content Model is available and it explains some of the reasons standardization is going to make everyone's life easier no matter whether it's now or in 4.0.

Elin

Mareike Riegel

Jul 19, 2012, 3:10:47 PM7/19/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

good idea to sort stuff out and to add things needed!
Questions: What are the fields #__contact_details::ordering and #__menu::ordering for - or better: are they really expendable?
If I am not mistaken, they are for ordering the entries (at least I thought so in 1.5 and 1.6/2.5).
Does this change with 3.0?
Curious about this, too: What is
#__contact_details::version for?
All the other stuff seems ok for me, at least I never needed or missed these in any way.
Greetings
Mareike

Dr. Mareike Riegel

mareike...@ql.de
http://www.ql.de
Tel.: 0761/2169618

elin

Jul 19, 2012, 3:52:59 PM7/19/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
They are not actually used. For example in menus lft and rgt contain the ordering information.

Elin
To post to this group, send an email to joomla-dev-cms@googlegroups.com.

elin

Jul 19, 2012, 3:57:26 PM7/19/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Actually I take it back in contact_details, weblinks and newsfeeds table ordering is used for now but if we decide to track assets it won't be.

I would also propose that we asset_id to each of those tables but I'm going to make that a separate proposal. So let's take ordering off my original list for contact details  for now.

Elin

elin

Jul 19, 2012, 5:57:34 PM7/19/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I forgot sectionid and mask on my list of to be deleted fields in #__content.

Version is the counter we use in #__content that tracks how many time an item has be saved. Hits counts how many times it has been viewed.

Elin

elin

Jul 20, 2012, 5:40:46 PM7/20/12
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
So I've made a pull request and an item in the feature tracker for this. Testing would be helpful.

Elin