JODConverter VS Apache License and packaging

Sebastian Wagner

Jan 29, 2012, 5:53:09 AM1/29/12
to jodcon...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm one of the Lead Developers of Apache OpenMeetings (http://incubator.apache.org/openmeetings/). We are using JOD for a couple of years, it is a great and handy library to access OpenOffice (or LibreOffice) converter Service.

As we are now an Apache Project we have to remove all LGPL licensed libraries from our software stack. I am going to implement a workaround for now: We will redirect users to your project website at http://code.google.com/p/jodconverter, people will download the latest version manually and only need to set the path to JOD library in OpenMeetings configuration.... However this can only be a temporary solution, usual users will disregard the docs and it leads to an endless number of questions in the mailing list about "how to configure x,y,z tool" no matter how easy configuration is.

So the question is: With OpenOffice becoming an Apache Project and also other tools like odftoolkit (http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/) might JOD on the long run also become a project under the APL (or compatible)? If yes I think we can live with the temporary solution and will require OpenMeetings users to download JOD library manually. If not we will have to think about how we can re-build the functionality natively in OpenMeetings.

Btw: It might be worth to take the time and make the JOD library a Debian/Ubuntu package so that other projects can use JOD as dependency. That could help you to have a wider audience for your project and improves integration between you and everybody else.

Sebastian

Shervin Asgari

Jan 30, 2012, 4:30:01 AM1/30/12
to jodcon...@googlegroups.com, Mirko Nasato
Hi Sebastian.

This is something Mirko has to decide. It's his project.

Shervin

Mirko Nasato

Jan 30, 2012, 5:25:40 AM1/30/12
to JODConverter
Hi Sebastian,

The only reason for choosing the LGPL when JODCovnerter was started
was that it depends on OpenOffice.org and OOo was LGPL.

So if OOo becomes Apache licensed I have no problems with making
JODConverter available under the ASL as well, or dual licensing it.

Cheers

Mirko

On Jan 30, 9:30 am, Shervin Asgari <shervin.asg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sebastian.
>
> This is something Mirko has to decide. It's his project.
>
> Shervin

seba....@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2012, 5:47:03 AM1/30/12
to jodcon...@googlegroups.com

Mirko Nasato

Jan 30, 2012, 2:13:59 PM1/30/12
to JODConverter
As for creating a deb package, contributions are welcome. :-)

Somebody already packaged the old v2.2: http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=jodconverter