Government Watchdog (American Oversight) Hiring Information Manager

jo...@americanoversight.org

Feb 15, 2019, 1:22:08 PM2/15/19
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT
American Oversight is a non-profit organization dedicated to holding the executive branch accountable to the people. Through open records requests and the power of the courts, we are working every day to promote accountability and to uncover corruption, malfeasance, or other misconduct and to expose the administration to public scrutiny.

We’re looking for a smart, organized, and innovative information manager to join our team and help us leverage the massive amount of information we’re gathering to hold the administration accountable. Through thousands of public records requests, more than 90 lawsuits, and the extensive research of our investigations team, we’ve uncovered hundreds of thousands of pages of government documents – from cabinet secretaries’ calendars to Ivanka Trump’s emails – and more records are coming in every day.

We need the right person to help us organize all that information, keep track of what we’ve learned, and maintain our online documents library as a research tool for journalists and congressional investigators. At a basic level, we want to be able to answer questions like “What do we know about the Department of Commerce” or “Do we have records of emails sent by a particular person?” Moving beyond that, we’d like to work toward answering harder questions, such as “Which agencies have been communicating with certain lobbyists?” or “Do the date patterns on this production of emails suggest that the agency withheld records?”

The ideal candidate will have a background document management, library science, information management, or a related field such as paralegal services or litigation document management; be extraordinarily organized and attentive to detail; and have an interest in government accountability and transparency. We are a growing team in a fast-paced environment. Collegiality and the ability to work effectively on multiple projects, balance priorities, and excel in a team-based workplace is essential. This position is based in Washington, D.C.

CORE RESPONSIBILITIES
  • Ensure that all new documents we receive are quickly and accurately processed, logged, and entered into American Oversight’s tracking and file management systems.
  • Working with the web team, upload new documents to the website and maintain the online documents library to make it a useful research tool.
  • Working with the investigations team, develop and maintain systems for tracking the knowledge we’ve learned and making that information usable.
  • Develop new ways to organize and analyze the documents we’ve uncovered to identify potential misconduct by government officials.

QUALIFICATIONS

This is a new position at American Oversight, and we’re open candidates to a wide range of experience levels and skill sets, but we anticipate that the person hired for this position will have the following qualifications.

  • Extraordinarily organized and attentive to detail.
  • Previous education or experience in information management, document management, library science, or a related field.
  • High level of comfort and familiarity working with records management software and databases, and an ability to learn new software tools.
  • An interest in government ethics and accountability.
  • Self-motivated with an ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
  • Sound judgment and ability to analyze situations and information.
  • High degree of professional ethics and integrity.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

American Oversight is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and veterans encouraged to apply.

Salary commensurate with experience. Generous and comprehensive benefits package.

HOW TO APPLY

Please send application materials, including a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest, resume, and writing sample to jo...@americanoversight.org with the subject “Information Manager.”