Digital Campaigner at Demand Progress (DC/NYC/Remote)

Kurt Walters

Jul 29, 2016, 4:57:50 PM7/29/16
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT
Digital Campaigner – Demand Progress

Demand Progress is looking for an experienced campaigner and email writer to help power the online campaigns that engage our two million activists.

You’ll be a key member of the campaigns team driving grassroots activism to win important policy initiatives, like defeating SOPA, blocking bank lobbyists’ attempts to undermine Wall Street reform, and defending Net Neutrality.

At its core, this position is about breaking down complex issues and crafting creative, exciting messages that motivate our members to take action. Ideal candidates live for the 24-hour news cycle, quickly identifying and seizing opportunities for grassroots activism to make an impact on the issues our members care about.

Essential roles and responsibilities

To be a successful campaigner at Demand Progress, you’ll need to be able to write in a clear, compelling way about our work on issues like Internet freedom, civil liberties, and surveillance reform. You’ll also work on Wall Street accountability and money-in-politics reform through Demand Progress’s Rootstrikers project (Rootstrikers.org).

Core responsibilities include:
  • Writing great petitions, emails, and fundraising appeals to mobilize our two million person activist list to take action.
  • Identifying opportunities for potential campaigns to excite and engage our activists – and drive change.
  • Tracking performance of our campaigns across mediums, from digging into our response rates over email, to analyzing our average donation size on ActBlue, to tracking our reach on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Running frequent A/B tests to optimize our performance and reporting out the results.
  • Being an active member of coalitions by recruiting organizations to join campaigns we’re leading, engaging with other leaders in the space, and supporting our key allies’ efforts.
  • Engaging the press by drafting and sending press releases, monitoring news coverage of our issues, and speaking on the record when appropriate.

Location

This position has a strong preference for individuals based in Washington, DC, or New York City, although telecommuting is an option for qualified candidates. Travel to conferences and meetings is periodically required.

Salary

Demand Progress will offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. We offer a generous benefits package, including health insurance, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, and more. The position is at-will.

Experience

Successful candidates will have experience writing online to engage activists and drive action, with 2-6 years of work experience.

Experience in one or more of the following areas isn’t required, but is a big plus:
  • Graphic design
  • Electoral campaigns
  • Press outreach, with a track record of generating earned media hits
  • Basic (or advanced!) knowledge of HTML and CSS coding
  • Managing a program of small donor fundraising
  • SQL or other database experience
About Demand Progress

Demand Progress is a national grassroots group with more than two million affiliated activists who fight for basic rights and freedoms needed for a modern democracy.

We work to win progressive policy changes for ordinary people through organizing and grassroots lobbying. We focus on issues of civil liberties, government reform, and money in politics.

We run online campaigns to rally people to take action on the news that affects them – by contacting Congress and other leaders and spreading the word in their own communities.

We work in Washington to provide an advocate for the public in all the decisions that affect our lives.

How to Apply

Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, along with three writing samples that ideally inform us of the kind of work we can expect from you, to ap...@demandprogress.org.