Spring 2015 Internship, The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights (Washington, D.C.)

Patrick McNeil

Nov 26, 2014, 6:00:05 PM11/26/14
to Patrick McNeil
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and The Leadership Conference Education Fund are looking for interns for Spring 2015.

The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights is a coalition charged by its diverse membership of more than 200 national organizations to promote and protect the civil and human rights of all persons in the United States. Through advocacy and outreach to targeted constituencies, The Leadership Conference works toward the goal of a more open and just society – an America as good as its ideals.

The Leadership Conference Education Fund builds public will for federal policies that promote and protect the civil and human rights of all persons in the United States. The Education Fund's campaigns empower and mobilize advocates around the country to push for progressive change in the United States.

The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund offer a substantive, fast-paced internship program designed to give undergraduate students interested in civil and human rights, public service, advocacy, journalism and online communications, real-world work experience in the policy arena. The program provides interns the chance to increase their knowledge and awareness of civil and human rights issues, enhance their understanding of coalition politics, and observe the legislative process of our federal government. Interns are fully integrated into staff activities and involved in field operations, development work, web content, and communications work. For more information check out our website: www.civilrights.org.

Leadership Conference/Education Fund interns work out of our office in downtown Washington, D.C., easily accessible by metro or several bus lines.

Core Intern Responsibilities:
  • Writing articles for the website and blog
  • Tracking legislation and litigation related to key issues
  • Monitoring media coverage of policy issues
  • Attending steering committee and task force meetings as assigned
  • Helping to coordinate grassroots and media events
  • Attending congressional hearings and briefings
  • Conducting on- and off-line research to support Leadership Conference/Education Fund staff
  • Occasional administrative work
Applicants should have strong writing skills, a desire and ability to work with diverse groups of people, ability to work collaboratively, the ability to multitask, and a strong commitment to social justice issues.

The internship is unpaid but interns receive a daily travel stipend.

Interested individuals should email a cover letter detailing their interest in The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, resume, and short writing sample (no longer than three pages) to:

Patrick McNeil, mcn...@civilrights.org, The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights/The Leadership Conference Education Fund

We are hiring on a rolling basis, but all applicants are encouraged to submit materials by December 12, 2014.

Please note: We are unable to respond to phone inquiries.