JOB: Lancaster Stands Up (Pennsylvania), Organizer

J. M. Smucker

Nov 24, 2020, 1:20:17 PM11/24/20
to GAIN POWER: Jobs That Are Left

Lancaster Stands Up is seeking a passionate and visionary organizer to drive forward our long-term grassroots organizing and campaigning work in Lancaster County, PA. Founded in the days following the 2016 election, Lancaster Stands Up (LSU) now has over 400 dues-paying members who have a strong track record of making a difference on issues and in elections. This position is responsible for the development of issue and electoral campaign work, coordinating a large volunteer base, developing member leaders, and building volunteer teams.

This is a political leadership position in the organization, responsible for helping to develop LSU’s overarching strategy (in collaboration with the LSU leadership team), getting buy-in from LSU leaders, members, and base, and bringing the voices and feedback of local teams into central decision-making processes.

The position is directly supervised by the Lancaster Stands Up’s Lead Organizer, and is also accountable to LSU’s Leadership Team. Lancaster Stands Up is part of a larger statewide organization, PA Stands Up, and this position will include some responsibilities and interaction with the larger organization (e.g., monthly all-staff calls).

Location: Lancaster County, PA

Application Deadline: December 18 (applications will be reviewed as they arrive)

Start Date: January 11, 2021 (negotiable)

Compensation: $40,000-$45,000 annually (benefits below)

Responsibilities:
  • Develop campaign plans for and support the implementation of county-wide campaigns, both issue and electoral. This will involve strategy sessions and regular meetings with campaign teams, recruiting volunteers to help implement campaign strategy, and taking on tasks as needed.

  • Utilize key technologies (NGPVAN, Spoke, ThruTalk, etc.) to carry out our campaign work and engage with our membership.

  • Develop and maintain the organization’s webpage.

  • Adapt, develop, and lead trainings for volunteer leaders.

  • Maintain relationships with key volunteer leaders through one-on-one meetings, trainings, and planning meetings.

  • Manage LSU contractors, canvass director (during short-term paid canvasses), and interns, as needed.

  • Other related duties. (LSU is a dynamic organization that needs to be flexible and responsive to the political moment.)

Skills & Qualifications:

It is not required that applicants already possess all of these skills.

  • People skills are a must for this position, as is delegation and a commitment to developing the leadership of others. Our work is carried out by our volunteers and members; staff organizers help to provide systems and support to carry out this work, as well as vision and leadership to help energize our base.
  • Two years or more of organizing or campaigning skills is recommended, but we will consider applicants with transferable leadership skills from other occupations and life experiences.
  • Demonstrated leadership ability and experience working in rural areas and/or communities of color
  • Strong commitment to racial, social, economic and gender justice
  • Strong commitment to independent, innovative political action by and for working people
  • A willingness to pick open and principled fights with entrenched economic and political power (including a fight over the leadership and direction of the Democratic Party), while talking explicitly about how the powerful are using racism and fear to divide us
  • Training and facilitation skills
  • Experience with issue campaigns and/or electoral campaigns
  • Experience managing volunteers
  • A goal-driven, detail-oriented self-starter and problem-solver with ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
  • Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
Salary & Benefits:

$40,000-$45,000/yr (depending on experience). PA Stands Up offers a competitive benefits package including healthcare/dental/vision, a retirement plan, and generous time off policies.

How to Apply:

Please submit a RESUME and LETTER that describes your experience, commitment, and any relevant personal background to in...@lancasterstandsup.org. Put “Local Organizer Position” in the subject line.

Lancaster Stands Up (and PA Stands Up) embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We are an equal opportunity employer.