Canvass for RAD in NH Thru E-Day ($20/hour) w/Possible Long-Term Position

NH New American Majority Campaign

Oct 21, 2016, 2:52:36 PM10/21/16
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT

Rights & Democracy FIELD CANVASSER

Position begins immediately.

This is a temporary position through November 9, 2016, with a possibility for a longer term position to follow.

Rights & Democracy (RAD) is a member-led, people's organization in New Hampshire and Vermont. The mission of Rights & Democracy is to shift the political landscape through electoral and community organizing to ensure that the values of our communities guide the policies of our government. We are building a popular movement to advance human rights, dismantle economic inequality, racism, and sexism, and to build a real democracy.

This election cycle we are hiring a team of field canvassers to execute a door to door canvass with voters about the US Senate Race and the critical issues of economic justice, environmental justice, and climate change. The position will be canvassing in Southern New Hampshire.

The position is temporary through November 9, 2016. Full time candidates are preferred; part time positions are available. Candidate must be able to work a flexible schedule including weekends and evenings. Majority of days will begin at 12:00 pm and end at 8:00 pm.

Job Responsibilities: Communicate with voters and establishing a conversation about this election, climate change, and other important issues: Canvassers are the front lines of our field work, and in some cases, one of the only person speaking to voters about how they feel about this election and the connect to the air they breath and the water they drink. To be as effective as possible, canvassers are responsible for maintaining a professional, positive, and healthy rapport during each interaction, inviting voters to share more deeply and offering voters a clear analysis on the importance of the US Senate Race and the environment they live in. Canvassers must be knowledgeable about the work of Rights & Democracy, economic and environmental justice, the US Senate Race in New Hampshire, and most importantly, why those topics matter personally to the canvasser and to the voter.

Diligent data collection: Additionally, canvassers are responsible for accurately recording the results of every interaction, reporting daily and inputting their data to track over time.

Maintaining a healthy and robust work environment: Canvassers are responsible for helping to maintain a healthy and positive work environment. RAD is an open and affirming organization, committed to personal transformation and social change. The canvassers are expected to maintain positive, inclusive, and open-minded attitudes, and to communicate about any support they may need in their work plan.

Qualifications:
Experience - Though not required, previous canvassing, sales, or political experience is a plus, and will be given special consideration.

Skills - Strong communication skills; work ethic; desire to learn about progressive politics and social issues; self reflection - desire to improve your skills and a  willingness to reflect on your own experiences and your stake in this work; adapt to a flexible schedule; able to learn how to efficiently enter data into an online database.

Physical Requirements - Candidates must be able to stand for no less than 2 hours at a time and to walk long distances on a daily basis when required.

Other Requirements - Canvassers must have regular access to a car, at least three days per week.

Training and Support: Newly hired canvassers will work closely with the Director of Organizing and other RAD staff members to learn how to canvass and to gain more skills in effective outreach and communication. Training will include training on issues pertinent to the progressive political movement including environmental justice, the economy, and democratic engagement. The first week of canvassing will include extensive training on Rights & Democracy theory of change and best practices, as well as the basics of door to door persuasion canvassing. Regular training opportunities will be offered. Canvassers are encouraged to communicate with supervisor for any outside support that may be needed. In the short timeline we have, communication about needs, fears, and obstacles will be key.

Compensation: Canvassers begin at $20 an hour. We offer accrued 4 hours sick pay per pay period. Pay period is every two weeks based on the established payroll schedule.

To apply, click here to fill out the online application and/or email NHNewAmeri...@gmail.com.