Organizing position Jobs to Move America Chicago

Tim Bowler

May 27, 2015, 11:22:25 PM5/27/15
to jobstha...@googlegroups.com

Title: Organizer, Jobs to Move America

Jobs to Move America is a national project to make our transit dollars go the distance –to build better, cleaner public transit systems, to create and retain good manufacturing jobs, and to generate opportunities for unemployed Americans like veterans, single parents, and residents of low-income neighborhoods.

We seek a talented and motivated organizer to join the team as the Illinois Organizer of the national Jobs to Move America campaign. Jobs to Move America is a national project dedicated to ensuring that the billions of public dollars spent on public transit systems create better results for our communities: good jobs, cleaner equipment and more opportunity for low income people. Jobs to Move America has a plan make our transit dollars go the distance — to build cleaner public transit systems, create and retain good American jobs, and generate opportunities for unemployed Americans like veterans, single parents, and residents of low-income neighborhoods.

Position Description & Responsibilities

We seek a dedicated person to join our team as the Jobs to Move America campaign organizer in Illinois, working in partnership with the Chicago Federation of Labor. This person will engage in community organizing, coalition building, and event coordination, and will provide some research support. In working across Illinois, the person will be expected to travel regularly across the region and work intensely to advance a complex project.

With access to office space in Chicago, the Organizer will report to the Jobs to Move America national outreach coordinator and is responsible for:

  • Campaign Coordination: Helping drive the development of the Illinois campaign which will involve extensive campaign visioning, planning, research support and strategy development done in conjunction with labor, community, and environmental allies. With a strong strategic plan, the lead organizer will work with the national outreach coordinator to lead the labor, environmental, community coalition through the plan and adapt effectively.

  • Coalition-Building: Building powerful coalitions with a diverse set of local partners, including labor unions, environmental organizations, community groups, elected officials, etc., and coordinating with local and national coalition partners through biweekly and quarterly meetings; building leadership and mobilization capacity of community and labor allies, deepening city community-labor-environmental network.

  • Leadership Development: Identifying, recruiting, and developing individual supporters; developing materials, educational and training sessions to support leadership growth and development; recording and tracking progress through Powerbase database system; growing our organization’s and the movement’s power by maintaining individual activism within our organization during and between campaigns.

Qualifications:

  • A demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice and the labor movement

  • At least 3 years of organizing experience in labor, community, student or political organizations or campaigns

  • 2 years proven lead-level organizing experience is strongly preferred

  • Strong coalition building and facilitation skills across a diverse set organizations and constituents

  • Ability to independently manage projects from conception to completion

  • Excellent organizational, research, writing, and communication skills

  • Ability to multi-task, collaborate as part of a team, work in a deadline-driven environment

  • Strategic judgment, flexibility, creativity, and initiative

  • Willingness to work long hours, evenings and weekends when necessary

  • Access to a reliable car

    Terms of Employment: This is a full-time position with health, retirement, vacation, and other benefits.

    Application Process: Please send applications in...@jobstomoveamerica.org with “IL Jobs to Move America Organizer” in the subject line of the email. Applications must include a cover letter, resume, short writing sample and three references in one PDF document. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.

    LAANE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, and LGBTQ persons are strongly encouraged to apply.