Organizing Director - Voter Choice Massachusetts - $75-$80k

Mike Alfoni

May 23, 2019, 6:20:42 PM5/23/19
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT

IMMEDIATE OPENING

ORGANIZING DIRECTOR

Voter Choice Massachusetts -- a non-partisan transformative campaign to upgrade our elections using ranked choice voting -- has an immediate opening for an Organizing Director. A strong track record of collaborative leadership, and managing volunteer programs across a large geographic region is required.  Visit voterchoicema.org to learn more about our movement.

Position Description
We are seeking an experienced, passionate, and collaborative Organizing Director to lead our statewide grassroots campaigns through 2020.   Successful candidates will be a leader with a record of running exceptional volunteer programs and empowering staff and volunteers to learn, grow, and achieve… to win.

Growing capacity is our current objective. The goal of this position will be to guide and support the organizing team’s efforts. The quantifiable goals for the organizing team are to:

  • Build our volunteer base and maintain the energy and engagement of our thousands of supporters through our regional chapters and other programs

  • Build a strong low-dollar donor base and volunteer pool through an ambitious house party and events program

  • Build a broad coalition of endorsers and partners that is both geographically and politically diverse through effective use of surrogates and events

The Organizing Director will lead the field component of our statewide campaign. They will:

  • Manage and support a staff dedicated to growing our volunteer and low-dollar donor base, and acting as a senior leader to volunteers directly as appropriate

  • Work closely with the State Director and organizing team to establish operational priorities, while setting and meeting volunteer recruitment, revenue, and endorsements goals

  • Work collaboratively with other senior staff to ensure all departments are creating something greater than the sum of its parts

  • Drive field-based activities around potential 2020 ballot question campaign including signature-gathering and voter identification, persuasion, and Get Out The Vote programs

  • Build a culture of self-accountability - empowering others to own their goals by supporting, inspiring, and collaborating with organizing staff and volunteer leads

  • Ensure gaps in the volunteer leadership structure get filled in a timely manner

  • Train organizers and volunteer leaders in the nuts and bolts of political organizing and how to cultivate leadership, performance, and accountability among their members

  • Ensure volunteer communications and meetings are well-facilitated and impactful

  • Participate in volunteer conflict resolution and staff/HR matters as needed

  • Other fundraising, operations, public speaking, training, and administrative duties as needed

The Organizing Director is a senior position and will report directly to the State Director.

Qualifications

Both staff and volunteer management experience is required.  Prior leadership experience in advocacy organizations, electoral campaigns, or ballot initiatives is highly desirable - as is experience in managing programs across large geographies.

Required:

  • Being passionate, curious, driven, and an initiative-taker

  • Aggressively reaches goals in a manner that is both productive and sustainable

  • Prior staff management experience

  • The ability to support their team through “bottom up leadership”

  • Prior campaign or non-profit volunteer management experience at scale, experience with structured volunteer programs and focusing on volunteer intrinsic motivation and volunteer leadership is highly desirable

  • The ability to become an expert on campaign messaging, including memorization of a 20-minute RCV presentation

  • The ability to take total ownership and initiative in a faced-paced, campaign-style environment, often working under tight deadlines

  • Exceptional data management skills and a demonstrated ability to connect the work with the numbers, while empowering others to do so as well

Additional qualifications:

  • Prior experience conducting grassroots fundraising

  • Experience with building structures, buy-in, and accountability of volunteers, rather than the standard “phonebank, canvass” fodder machine

  • Experience with Nation Builder, VAN and MyCampaign a plus (the ability to learn a requirement)

  • Ability to assist in the selection and management of a paid field/ canvass apparatus

  • The ability to work sitting or standing for up to 4 hours

  • The ability to travel

  • The ability and willingness to work long, irregular hours, including evenings and weekends

Compensation

$75,000 - $85,000 annually DoE to start.  While we are focused on passing RCV in Massachusetts within two years, there may also be opportunities to advance nationally.

About Voter Choice Massachusetts
Voter Choice MA is a non-partisan, politically diverse, 501(c)(4) non-profit organization dedicated to educating the Massachusetts public about electoral reforms that increase the range of choice on the ballot and produce fairer outcomes. Voter Choice MA advocates for the expanded use of Ranked Choice Voting (RCV), which allows voters to rank the candidates on the ballot in order of preference. RCV would make Massachusetts elections more competitive and fair by encouraging the participation of more candidates and parties, and by ensuring outcomes that more accurately reflect the will of the voters.

How to Apply:

Send your resume and a one-page cover letter to hr@voterchoicema.org.  Your cover letter should include an overview of your staff and volunteer management experience.  Please put “Organizing Director” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.

Voter Choice Massachusetts provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or military or veteran status in accordance with all applicable laws. We don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of the above. We're committed to building a diverse leadership team. Women, minorities, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.