Development & Events Manager - Run for Something - Remote, U.S.

Cassandra Gaddo

Feb 19, 2021, 12:41:12 PM2/19/21
to GAIN POWER: Jobs That Are Left

Development & Events Manager

View the full description and application link here.

About Run for Something

Run for Something recruits and supports young, diverse progressives running for down-ballot offices in the United States. Since launching in January 2017, we have recruited over 70,000 potential local candidates, endorsed nearly 1,500, and we’re responsible for nearly 500 newly elected officials across 45 states – mostly young women and BIPOC leaders, and 21% LGBTQIA+. We are a high-reaching, hungry team, changing the face of politics in America.

Position Summary

Reporting Structure: This role reports to the Director of Development

Essential Duties: Run for Something is currently hiring for a Development & Events Manager. Your primary responsibilities include (1) Prospecting opportunities to help grow our donor base and scale our organization, including designing and executing a pilot peer-to-peer fundraising program, 2) Maintaining and analyzing data across multiple platforms to inform our larger development strategy and outreach, and 3) Supporting our events program and managing revenue-generating special projects.
Job Classification: Full Time, Exempt

Responsibilities

The Development & Events Manager will help RFS accomplish our strategic imperatives via:

  • Relationship Building & Prospecting [15%]

    1. Create and maintain a running donor target list, informed by external donation records, annual reports and general research on funders and stakeholders in the progressive space.

    2. Prospect existing Run for Something donors and make recommendations based on research and capacity indicators for more in-depth engagement.

    3. Prepare comprehensive briefings ahead of fundraisers, donor calls, in-person meetings, and principal travel so RFS staff have relevant information to confidently pitch RFS.

  • Special Projects [15%]

    1. Design and execute a pilot peer-to-peer fundraising program aimed at converting RFS supporters into grassroots fundraisers: set goals in partnership with the Development Director, research and determine best peer-to-peer technology, track overall success and progress for individual participants; train supporters how to set up and use online fundraising pages, empower participants to meet their goals, and communicate trends that will help inform the long term viability of the pilot.

    2. Create a comprehensive list of lapsed mid-level to major donors, and work with the Development Director to design campaigns that bring them back into the donor community.

    3. Take on additional revenue-generating projects which may include RFS merchandise, contests, and more.

  • Stewardship [10%]

    1. Manage a gift acknowledgement process that ensures donors from multiple revenue sources, event hosts, and external stakeholders are thanked promptly and appropriately.

    2. Assist the Community Team with answering general inquiries regarding contributions.

  • Data & Collateral Maintenance [15%]

    1. Assist in migrating historical development data into a centralized CRM.

    2. Work across departments and various platforms to accurately report total revenue weekly.

    3. Maintain a development stakeholder database that tracks critical revenue-generating relationships and meeting targets.

    4. Work across departments to keep development collateral accurate on a monthly basis, which includes updating the RFS website, online fundraising pages, donor-facing decks, and peer-to-peer fundraising communications.

    5. Build comprehensive lists across RFS entities ahead of fundraising travel, events, call-time, and additional special projects.

  • Scheduling & Travel [5%]

    1. Manage travel schedules for two principals and the Development Director, and update corresponding team calendars.

    2. Prepare travel itinerary documents ahead of all fundraising travel with key trip details and schedule.

  • Events [40%]

    1. Work under supervision of Senior Events Manager to execute on events programs goals and deliverables

    2. Manage event attendance for concurrent events, which includes pulling daily reports on RSVP progress, updating event trackers, and more.

    3. Build comprehensive event briefings for RFS staff, including research on event hosts and event guests.

    4. Own event vendor management: researching vendors, requesting quotes, maintaining a vendor database, and managing vendor invoices.

    5. Work across the organization to maintain a speaker directory that captures our most compelling candidates and alumni.

    6. Draft invitations for targeted event outreach

    7. Assist the Senior Event Manager with special projects like event graphic support and financial reconciliations for compliance purposes.

Key Goals

Success in this role will look like…

  • Independently owning and running a revenue-generating P2P fundraising program within the first three months of hire, including setting revenue targets.

  • Having established project management skills from day one: experience defining success, identifying contributors, establishing and driving clear timelines and action items, over-communicating progress, and successfully meeting deadlines with multiple concurrent projects.

  • Consistently identifying viable PAC & 501c4 donors.

  • Converting >25% of lapsed mid-level and major donors into active donors over the course of first year and beyond.

  • Maintaining and protecting strong relationships with the RFS donor community and stakeholders.

  • Absorbing data and making metric-based decisions to strengthen current programs and processes.

  • Capturing, documenting and communicating successes and deltas through written wrap ups at the end of projects and campaigns.

Minimum Qualifications

  • Passion for Run for Something’s mission of finding, recruiting and supporting young, diverse progressives as they run for local office.

  • 3+ years of experience working in the political or non-profit fundraising space, specifically in roles where major gifts and donor stewardship are key responsibilities.

  • Record of identifying donor prospects: researching public records and filings to generate donor leads with capacity and propensity to make a major gift.

  • Success in leading a revenue-generating program or project.

  • Excellent project management skills.

  • Excellent time management skills and ability to reprioritize quickly.

  • Excellent attention to detail and organization.

  • Strong research skills.

  • Strong writing skills.

  • Experience working cross-departmentally, especially in matrixed organizations and/or remote environments.

  • Experience working with digital event and fundraising platforms.

  • Ability to manage, manipulate and analyze data from various sources.

  • Ability to manage up and work independently in a remote environment.

  • Ability to work in and contribute to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.

Pluses

  • Having previously designed and/or ran a peer-to-peer fundraising program.

  • 1+ year working directly with major donors ($10K+).

  • Having previous fundraising experience with a PAC (527) and/or a 501c4.

  • Experience using The Management Center tools, such as MOCHA for project management.

  • Having worked with Google Suite, ActBlue, NGPVAN, ActionNetwork, AirTable, Eventbrite, Adobe Creative and/or Canva.

  • Fluency in more than one language.

Work Environment

Run for Something is a remote office environment; you will collaborate with colleagues who are based across the United States. You should be prepared to either work from home or a location of your choosing within the United States.

This position requires the ability to attend events which may occur outside of core working hours.

Run for Something is not just an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building teams that reflect the diversity of our candidates, and to building equitable and inclusive environments that fully leverage the skills, potential, and unique perspectives of our employees.

Compensation & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience, with a range of $65,000-$70,000 per year. See job link for full list of comprehensive benefits.

To Apply

Click here and fill out the form to apply: https://runforsomething.net/about/jobs/development-events-manager/. Only applications that are received through this link will be considered.

We value diversity at RFS, and strongly encourage applications from folks who are a part of marginalized communities who have been disproportionately affected by lack of representation in legislative bodies, including people of color, women, and the LGBTQIA+ and disabled communities.

We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, with priority review given to earlier applications. The deadline for applications is March 12th at 12pm EST. No phone calls, emails, or social media messages, please. Due to the volume of applications and in order to provide a fair process for all applicants, we are unable to respond to individual inquiries.