PAID INTERNSHIP: Social Media Intern, MoveOn (Anywhere in the US) - $25/hr, Part-Time

Julia Silbergeld

Jul 17, 2019, 6:01:28 PM7/17/19
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT

Social Media Intern

Part-time (up to 15 hr/wk) • Starts 2019 • Competitive Pay ($25/hr)

Work from anywhere in the U.S.

MoveOn is an organizing community of millions of members working together to create progressive change in America. We take on campaigns to challenge entrenched power and push back against right-wing policies while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice.

In 2018 our members were pivotal in ending Republican control of the House. Now, 2020 is on the horizon, and we’re ready to mobilize. At MoveOn you would be at the center of efforts to build and sustain a powerful Resistance, mobilizing millions of people to take action in the fight for our democracy and our future.

As a social media intern with MoveOn, you will participate in our organization’s work as an active member of our communications team and you’ll never get anyone coffee, ever. Your work will be substantive. We are a small and nimble team, so everyone’s work is vital.

You will be relied upon to help monitor, document, and enable the day-to-day functions of MoveOn’s social media publishing operations on various platforms and help prepare analytics reports evaluating performance.

With duties that range from content publishing and data compilation to updating editorial guidelines and helping to maintain our daily operations and partnerships, the work that you do will be an important part of how we elevate MoveOn members’ voices, communicate around our core campaigns, influence the national political narrative, and build power as we look toward 2020.

Here’s some of what you’ll do:

  • Monitor metrics such as reach and engagement related to MoveOn’s social media platforms, analyze which content performs best, and develop hypotheses for why

  • Follow breaking news coverage to find compelling content that we could elevate via MoveOn’s social media networks

  • Provide live social media coverage support during live events and mobilizations

  • Curate strong, highly-engaging, progressive content from trusted media sources while maintaining MoveOn’s voice, integrity, and commitment to equity

  • Assist in a variety of ways with social media campaigns and social media collaborations with our allies

  • Participate in campaigns and help in maintaining daily organizational work as a member of MoveOn’s communications team, contributing to cross-team projects in a variety of ways

  • Occasionally facilitate and take notes at meetings

  • Have the opportunity to engage in MoveOn’s work in other exciting ways, including researching new social media platforms, producing social media campaign and other editorial content, and supporting key campaigns

Desired skills and experience:

  • Experience with and deep interest in social media platforms, audiences, and key metrics for success

  • Experience with and interest in activism, advocacy, organizing, or politics.

  • Experience with creating or distributing digital content (articles, images, or videos) over social media

  • Have an eye for high-performing content that will resonate with MoveOn’s social media audience

  • Experience or interest in graphic creation for social media distribution.

  • Experience copywriting specifically for social media posts

  • Work as a solutions-oriented accountable self-manager and self-starter who excels at working autonomously

  • Keen attention to detail and highly dependable work ethic

  • An unusual passion for compiling data, maintaining spreadsheets, and finding patterns

  • Strong writing skills, including precise grammar, punctuation, and spelling

  • Ability to work well under pressure within a fast-paced, high-performing team

  • Technically savvy with computers and superbly adept at Googling

  • Ability to learn and adapt quickly to change

  • Savvy with at least one of these platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube

Reporting to: Social Media Manager & Director of Social Media

Location & Availability: Position may be based anywhere in the continental United States. Candidates must be available and actively online during standard business hours with occasional weekend hours on an as-needed and pre-scheduled basis.

Duration: Hiring immediately; interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. This is a three-month internship with the possibility of extension to six months if mutually agreeable to both parties.

Classification, salary, and reimbursements: Part-time (up to 20 hours per week), $25 per hour, and reimbursement of cell phone, internet, and office expenses.

To apply: Please go to https://grnh.se/297a49391 to submit your application, resume, and a cover letter. Candidates will be reviewed by July 25, 2019. Interviews are taking place on a rolling basis—so if you’re interested, apply now!

MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.