LCV is Hiring a Vice President of Campaigns!

Frances Magun

Apr 19, 2019, 5:17:13 PM4/19/19
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT

LCV is hiring for a Vice President of Campaigns who will help craft campaign strategy and oversee creative and aggressive issue and electoral campaigns. The full description is included below.

Thanks!

Frances

Title: Vice President of Campaigns

Reports To: Senior Vice President for Campaigns

Positions Reporting To This Position: National Organizing Director, Research Director, Director of Data & Targeting, Campaigns Program staff

General Description:

The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.

LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Communities of color are disproportionately impacted by climate change and pollution. For this reason, racial justice and equity are inextricably linked to protecting our environment. Within the organization, we are actively building a workplace culture that demonstrates how we value equity and inclusion through more intentional and inclusive practices. We are committed to building an organization that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.

LCV, state LCVs and their affiliated political PACs spent $80 million on federal and state races in the 2018 cycle – double the 2016 cycle. LCV runs electoral campaigns as a means to an end – we strive to build political power so we can win policies that protect our environment and communities impacted by climate change and environmental injustices. LCV is hiring a Vice President of Campaigns who will help craft campaign strategy, oversee creative and aggressive issue and electoral campaigns, and manage senior staff and operations in the Campaigns department. We are looking for an experienced, political strategist who can connect our electoral work to LCV’s non-electoral and organizing programs. The ideal candidate will be able to lead federal program strategy and collaborate with state LCV partners on state or local priorities, with the goal of building a stronger Conservation Voter Movement that includes federal, state and local wins.

Responsibilities:

  • Manage senior level staff in the Campaigns department including Independent Expenditure (IE) program staff, field, research and data teams.
  • Work in tight coordination with department SVP to achieve all relevant Campaigns team and organizational goals.
  • Oversee the implementation of campaign plans for Independent Expenditure campaigns, issue campaigns including clean energy and climate change, federal and state level accountability projects and ballot initiative engagement. Collaborate with lead program staff on the Government Affairs and Community & Civic Engagement teams to ensure our collective programs are strategically aligned, planned and executed. Campaign and project plans include budget, voter persuasion and engagement and contact goals.
  • Engage and work with staff, funders, donors and coalition allies of the 30 plus state LCV affiliates throughout the country. Ensure alignment of federal, state and local campaign programs that advance the priorities of LCV and state LCVs.
  • Oversee the deployment of staff, opinion research, paid and earned media, direct mail, field organizers, canvasses, and management of vendors to achieve program goals.
  • Manage multi-million dollar independent expenditure campaign budget.
  • Oversee the development and approval of all IE campaign materials; including television and radio ads, direct mail, and phone scripts.
  • Work with departmental staff to achieve annual racial justice and equity goals, including, but not limited to, expanding and deepening our partnerships with organizations and coalitions led by people of color.
  • Ensure compliance and reporting of all LCV electoral activities in collaboration with Legal and Finance departments.
  • In coordination with SVP for Campaigns, prepare reports and materials for donor and board meetings.
  • Work with national progressive organizations and other members of the political community, as appropriate.

Qualifications:

  • Work Experience: At least ten years of issue and/or electoral campaign experience, particularly with message development, budget development, campaign plans, paid media, and voter contact. Prior management of candidate or independent expenditure campaigns required. Must have experience drafting political plans, including explicit and culturally competent engagement of people of color and young voters. Three years of successful direct supervisory experience. Candidate, campaign or project fundraising experience a plus. Experience working with a national organization who has state affiliates or chapters is a plus. Experience working with state and/or local level campaigns and/or organizations. Experience working with multiple coalition partners preferred. Experience with public opinion research techniques, message development and communication preferred.
  • Skills: Proven ability to manage strategic and creative issue and/or electoral campaigns. Effective fiscal and personnel management. Able to develop voter persuasion, engagement and contact plans in collaboration with campaigns team. Understands the role of data and new digital tools in creating strong and effective programs. Sound political judgement. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Highly collaborative. Excellent listener. Instinctually inclined to engage others while also being able to successfully drive a project to timely conclusion. Passionate about protecting the environment and communities impacted by climate change and environmental injustice. Ability to connect electoral strategy to non-electoral campaign work. Values team building. Works well in a fast-paced environment and able to multi-task without sacrificing quality of work. Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines. Proven track record of successfully working across lines of race, ethnicity, language, class, gender and other identities and experiences.
  • Cultural Competence: Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity, views about difference, and the ability to learn and build on varying cultural and community norms. A commitment to the complex understanding of racial justice and the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture. Understands environmental issues and their potential to engage the public.
  • Conditions: Ability to work overtime with little notice; ability and willingness to travel. This position is based in Washington, D.C.

To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to h...@lcv.org with “VP Campaigns” in the subject line no later than May 10, 2019. No phone calls please.

LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.

Frances Magun

May 8, 2019, 11:09:30 AM5/8/19
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT

Deadline to apply is this Friday, May 10th!