Protégete Program Director - Conservation Colorado - Denver, CO

Hannah Fuhlendorf

Oct 23, 2018, 9:56:18 AM10/23/18
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT

Protégete Program Director

Location: Denver

Deadline for submission: November 12, 2018

Work Schedule: Full-time, Exempt Position

Conservation Colorado seeks a Protégete Program Director based in Denver who will bring vision, smarts, energy, and passion to their work. The Protégete Program Director will lead the Protégete team and build high-level, transformational relationships with funders, coalition partners, elected officials, and other grasstops to ensure that Conservation Colorado’s work lifts up the voices of the Latino community throughout the state and ensure that we are organizing effectively within these communities.

About Conservation Colorado

Conservation Colorado works to protect Colorado’s environment and quality of life by mobilizing people and electing conservation-minded policy makers. We work closely with policy leaders, citizen activists, businesses and other conservation/progressive nonprofits, and have built a reputation as one of the leading conservation advocacy organizations in the state.   Our Protégete program aims to build a more powerful and influential voice for local Latino communities and leaders in the fight against climate change by promoting a healthy future for all Coloradans.

Our work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social, and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color and other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.

Job Responsibilities

The Protégete program is a vital & growing part of Conservation Colorado.  This senior-level position is critical in setting the vision for not only the Protégete program, but for continuing the organization’s evolution around environmental justice. This position will be primarily responsible for setting the long-term vision for the program; setting the standards & tone for the team; identifying the ways that organizing can intersect with our policy work; and developing relationships with leaders in our community to inform and advance our organizational goals.  The primary areas of responsibility are:

1.  Campaign Strategy and Management

        Develop, plan, and execute priority campaigns.

        Play a significant role in our electoral work leading into and during election years.

        Lead in creating and implementing the long-term plan for what Protegete is to become next.

        Ensure that we are highlighting voices of communities or color.

2. Grasstops Relationship Development

        Work with coalition partners, elected officials, and other stakeholders to build power and advance our goals effectively.

        Develop funder relationships so we can increase & diversify our funding.

        Cultivate relationships with the media.

        Represent Conservation Colorado in high-level meetings with decision-makers

3. Team Management and Leadership

        Manage a direct report of one and a team of six total staff.

        As a member of senior staff, liaise and partner with other senior staff on campaign strategy and development.

        Play a key role in leading the organization in our continued evolution towards being more equitable both internally and within the conservation movement.

Qualifications

To be successful in this job, you will demonstrate the strategic thinking and problem-solving ability it takes to work well with our team. Fundamentally, you should be results-focused and a highly driven individual who understands how organizing and transformational relationships can build our power to win on our issues.  More specifically, you will have or be most or all of the following:

        Authentic relationship builder:  Ability to build the trust & respect necessary to develop high-level relationships with businesses, political leaders, and/or progressive community partners.

        Ability to build & motivate a team:  Ability to foster a strong, positive team culture through transparency, respect, and accountability.

        Long term strategic planner:  Ability to use creative thinking & long-term planning in decision making while also balancing timely or short-term goals and limited resources.

        Strong written & verbal communication skills:  Ability to act as a spokesperson for the organization in myriad circumstances and write effectively.  While it is not required, the ability to communicate in Spanish is highly valued in this position.

        A strong interest in lifting up the voices of communities of color and other marginalized identities to inform and advance policy goals and elect pro-conservation candidates.

        A least 2-4 years’ experience working on progressive policy and/or political campaigns.

        Share our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization: Possessing a willingness to do the personal and organizational work around diversity, equity, and inclusivity is vital.

Compensation and Benefits

Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive.  We provide high-quality, zero-deductible health insurance and a strong benefits package that includes a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with match, at least 28 days of paid time off in your first year, parental leave, and a sabbatical program.

We are committed to building a more diverse and inclusive organization and conservation movement to fully represent and engage all Coloradans and to build as powerful a movement as we can. Recruiting staff that better reflects Colorado is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, race, ethnicity, geographies, political affiliation, and all other identities represented in Colorado or protected by law.

To Apply

If this job truly speaks to you, please fill out this short questionnaire first and then send a cover letter and a resume by November 12 to Patrick Massaro, Organizing & Political Director, via jo...@conservationco.org.

No phone calls please.