Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy/JMA Lead Organizer

Tim Bowler

Oct 23, 2014, 3:12:25 PM10/23/14
to jobstha...@googlegroups.com

Job Announcement

Lead Organizer - Position available immediately

Los Angeles, CA

Lead Organizer

Jobs to Move America seeks a full-time Lead Organizer with a background in manufacturing. We are hiring a talented and experienced organizer to assist in leading our organizing campaigns in transportation manufacturing. We are seeking a qualified professional who will be able to work well with unions, community organizations, and companies. The Lead Organizer will recruit and develop leaders, contribute to campaign strategy, communicate and motivate existing and potential members, and lead pubic actions. The Lead Organizer will work directly with the Project Director, as well as community coalition allies.

Jobs to Move America is a national project to make our transit dollars go the distance. Jobs to Move America has a plan to build better, cleaner public transit systems, to create and retain good manufacturing jobs, and to generate opportunities for unemployed Americans like veterans, single parents, and residents of low-income neighborhoods.

Responsibilities

  • Recruitment: recruiting new members and new leaders.

  • Leadership development: developing and maintaining effective leaders through training and establishing committees and other leadership structures.

  • Communication: effectively communicate with workers in assigned jurisdictions through personal visits, including house visits, flyers, newsletters, phone calls, mailings, bulletin board postings, and meetings.

  • Issue Campaigns: develop and implement effective industry strategies and coordinate activities to raise standards. Identify significant worksite and/or departmental issues and develop strategies and tactics to effectively address them, including petitions, group grievances, work actions, media events, and legal actions.

  • Intern Management: Develop and maintain an internship program focusing on transit manufacturing issues

  • Work as part of a team to implement campaign strategy. Plan and execute events and actions.

  • Perform other duties as assigned

Job Qualifications

  • 5+ years full-time labor, community or constituency organizing experience

  • Experience leading other organizers is strongly preferred

  • Excellent communication skills and ability to work well with others

  • Ability to motivate and inspire others

  • Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends

  • Detail oriented, driven to succeed; ability to work independently and in a team

  • Commitment to excellence and to the mission and goals of the organization and the labor movement

  • Having a valid drivers’ license and a reliable, insured transportation.

  • Bilingual skills or fluency in second language a plus

Compensation:  Salary commensurate with experience.  Generous benefits provided.

E-mail a cover letter, detailed résumé, salary expectations and the name, job title, and phone number of three professional references to: in...@jobstomoveamerica.org .

Click here for more information on Jobs to Move America.

We are an affirmative action employer and encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. We work to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforce zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.