Racial Justice and Trans Justice Programs Director - Basic Rights Oregon - Portland, OR

Meg Hughes

Mar 19, 2019, 2:49:12 PM3/19/19
to jobstha...@googlegroups.com
Basic Rights Oregon is hiring a Racial Justice & Trans Justice Programs Director. I'm just the messenger, but I know someone who works there who's willing to chat if you're interested. Posting here.

RACIAL JUSTICE & TRANS JUSTICE PROGRAMS DIRECTOR POSITION OVERVIEW
The Racial Justice & Trans Justice Programs Director will lead the dynamic organizing work at Basic Rights Oregon. We are looking for an experienced leader who will bring both a strong analysis on the needs of QTPOC and Trans communities as well as strength in organizing and leadership development. The position will involve in-state travel and supervision responsibilities. This is a full-time, leadership position, reporting to the Executive Director.

Basic Rights Oregon is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply.

RESPONSIBILITIES

Supervision & leadership development

  • Design and help implement our leadership development cohorts – Catalyst for trans and gender non-conforming Oregonians and Poder/Our Power for QTPOC Oregonians. Our leadership cohorts extend over the course of a year in 3-4 residential weekend retreats and are free of charge to participants, and
  • Supervise 1 -3 organizers and possible additional staff as assigned.

Training and Education

  • Have a leadership role in our Fair Workplace Project, which seeks to educate the public (businesses, schools, non-profits, government) about Trans Justice and building more trans inclusive workplaces,
  • Develop curriculum for our leadership cohorts, community trainings, the Fair Workplace Project and other campaigns, as needed, and
  • Mobilize LGBTQA activists to take action for racial justice, transgender justice and Basic Rights’ legislative priorities.

Planning, fundraising & organizational development

  • Participate as a program lead in organizational planning and strategy by building work plans that reflect organizational strategies and values around transgender justice and racial justice,
  • Collaborate with development staff on program fundraising, including events, grants, and grassroots fundraising,
  • Prepare written weekly, quarterly and annual work plans, and prepare other reports as assigned, and
  • Other duties as assigned.

Desired Experience and Qualities:

  • At least five years of community, student, electoral or other organizing experience.
  • Commitment to Basic Rights Oregon’s mission and programs with knowledge of LGBTQ communities and issues.
  • Strong analysis of racial, transgender and LGBTQ justice principles and experience working with communities of color; transgender, genderqueer and gender non-conforming communities and with LGBTQ communities.
  • Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and quickly gain the respect and support of various constituencies, including board and staff members, donors, civic leaders, volunteers and community partners.
  • Demonstrated ability to handle a variety of projects, to be detail-oriented and to problem-solve.
  • Strong written and verbal communication skills; comfortable speaking in public with an energetic and engaging training style.
  • A strategist who is adept at planning, prioritizing, organizing, following through and able to balance multiple competing priorities.
  • Resourceful and flexible, with the ability to anticipate challenges and act on opportunities.
  • A team builder with strong skills in leadership development, able understand the subtleties of motivating and leading a diverse group.
  • Strong technology skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel.

Compensation The current salary range for this position is $58,000 – $75,000 depending on years of relevant experience. Medical, dental and vision provided. Paid time off includes 10 days of vacation and 5 days of sick time annually. In addition, employees observe 10 paid holidays annually. This position is full time.

To Apply Please send a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for three references electronically by April 24th to Janice Lorenzana at jan...@basicrights.org. In your cover letter, please address your experience working with/in LGBTQ communities of color and what drives your interest in this position. The subject line must include “[Your Name]+ Racial and Trans Justice Program Director.” Applicants who do not address their experience working with/in LGBTQ communities of color will not be considered.

About Us:

Since 1996, Basic Rights Oregon has been on the front lines of fighting for LGBTQ equality in our state. Our racial justice program was started in 2007, after several years of anti-racist organizational development work. Our current racial justice work is three-fold, working on building the leadership of queer and trans people of color, working on policy and political issues that affect communities of color and educating our base on issues of racial justice. Our work prioritizes the following communities: transgender Oregonians, queer and trans people of color, people who live outside the Portland metro area and LGBTQ youth. Our mission is that Basic Rights Oregon will ensure that all lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer Oregonians experience equality by building a broad and inclusive politically powerful movement, shifting public opinion, and achieving policy victories. Basic Rights Oregon is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply.