Job Announcement: Executive Director

O'Neil Pryce

May 31, 2016, 12:00:33 PM5/31/16
to GAIN Jobs via JobsthatareLEFT

JOB ANNOUNCEMENT Executive Director

The Democracy Initiative a unique coalition of diverse organizations committed to making our democracy work better for everyone is seeking an Executive Director. We are at an exciting moment both within the DI and within our country and we seek an enthusiastic strategic leader to drive our coalition and work forward.

Organization Overview

Progressive people-powered movements have routinely faced opposition from those who benefit from social and economic inequality. These opposing forces have devoted vast resources to influence policy makers, markets, the media and the public to protect the status quo. In recent years, however, these same forces, not content with their already outsized influence, have taken further aim at the foundations of our democratic tradition itself, seeking to undermine the principles of equal representation and civic participation in American democracy.

The Democracy Initiative, launched in 2013, seeks to restore the core principle of

political equality. The DI coalition includes labor, civil rights, voting rights, environmental, good government and other like-minded organizations with broad memberships committed to building a movement to fix our democracy. We believe that fixing our democracy is a prerequisite to advancing the diverse goals that are our member organizations’ first priorities.  DIs current priorities are halting the corrupting influence of big money in politics and preventing the systemic manipulation and suppression of voters/protecting voting rights.

Our core work, and our contribution to the democracy movement, is to engage organizations with memberships, help educate and mobilize those members about democracy issues, and collaborate to add their voices and resources to fights for democratic reform at the state and national level.  Since our founding, we have engaged our members in various campaigns and mobilizations and we know there is much

more potential ahead.

Our initial Democracy Initiative (DI) campaign, called Fix the Senate Now, mobilized 3 million members from our 50 member groups to change the Senate rules on nominations

and help confirm 300 judges and agency appointments.  The DI has also collaborated with member organizations to advance State specific reforms to protect voting rights and reduce the influence of big money in elections. Recently we helped lead a Congress of Conscience day of protest in D.C. with thousands marching and over 300 arrested demanding that Congress hold hearings, vote up or down on voting rights reenactment and advance several potential fixes to Money in politics.

Position Summary

The Democracy Initiative is at an exciting moment, as issues of voting rights and money in politics are gaining prominence in the publics attention and citizens are increasingly demanding change. We are seeking an Executive Director who can provide strategic direction, inspiration and leadership for this unique coalition. The ED will oversee successful implementation of DIs current work, which includes state level campaigns, national communications and network development and will lead the strategic planning process to develop future work.

The ED will lead a small but dynamic DI staff and key staff loaned from member organizations, and will work closely with the Board of Directors, which includes leaders from the organizations which formed the DI: NAACP, Greenpeace USA, Sierra Club, Communications Workers of America, Common Cause and AFL-CIO.

The position is based in Washington, D.C. with occasional travel within the United

States.

Responsibilities

·    Providing Strategic Direction and Organizational Leadership: Track developments related to money in politics voting rights, and other critical issues facing our democracy, seek opportunities for DI engagement, and move the organization in these directions.

·    Leading and Supervising Staff. Recruit staff, develop work plans, oversee implementation, and evaluate staff performance.

·    Developing and Leading an Overall Strategic Communication plan. Work with communications staff and other resources to develop a comprehensive plan to promote the DI issue messages and organizational presence.

·    Leading and Coordinating Fundraising Efforts: Ensure consistent communication with current DI funders, identify additional prospects for funding, and work with staff and board to strategize and implement overall fundraising strategy.

·    Expanding and Engaging the Democracy Initiative Network:  recruit new organizational members, establish consistent communication and meaningful engagement with members,  identify network development needs and opportunities.

·    Representing the DI. While also promoting the organizational leaders of the DI, speak publicly and appear in the media, at events, and in conversations with coalition members and allies.

·    Engaging the Board: Maintain regular communication with DI board members to

inform them of DIs progress, challenges and opportunities.

Qualifications

·    Commitment to the values of a vibrant and inclusive democracy.

·    At least 8 years senior level management experience, including staff supervision.

·    Experience working in, and preferably leading, a coalition.·    Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.

·    Knowledge of progressive organizations and their operations.

·    Ability to work with leaders, members, and staff at all levels of organizations.

·    Experience in fundraising for 501( c) (3) and (c )(4) organizations.

·    Strong organizational and time management skills.

·    Sense of humor, creativity, patience and entrepreneurial drive.

·    Ability to manage multiple tasks in a rapid paced environment.

Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience.

To apply, please email a copy of your resume, a cover letter, and three references to: opryce@democracyinitiative.org. Applications will be considered as they come in, with a final deadline of June 15, 2016.

The Democracy Initiative is an equal opportunity employer which values equity, diversity and inclusion. Women, people of color, LGBT, and differently- abled especially encouraged to apply.