New topic proposal for the Tools Night: Java in the PaaS cloud

Ron Gross

Feb 7, 2012, 8:14:02 AM2/7/12
to jj...@googlegroups.com
If there's demand, I could prepare a talk about "Java Web Apps in the PaaS cloud":

PaaS, for anyone who does't know, is a code name for uploading a java "application" (servlet, Play app) to "the cloud", without worrying about server installations.
I did some research on PaaS options a few months ago, and I could demo Heroku, and talk a bit about Amazon Beanstalk and Google App Engine.

I really don't have any experience with Beanstalk or App Engine beyond what I read, so the focus would be Heroku (a demo of installing a Play app on Heroku ... could go well with my earlier Play demo)

Since we're getting quite full (we already have 6 confirmed talks, I'm not sure it's a good idea to add a 7th talk for this night ... but I'm just putting it out there to see if there's demand.

If there are other speakers that can properly present/demo Beanstalk and app Engine, we might want to take a few of these demos and group them into Tool Night 2.

Alexander Verdyan

Feb 8, 2012, 4:54:50 AM2/8/12
to Java & JVM Tel Aviv
Unfortunately I have experience with Amazon Elastic BeanStalk (also
looked into CloudBees, CloudFoundry, dotCloud, OpenShift)

On Feb 7, 3:14 pm, Ron Gross <ron.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If there's demand, I could prepare a talk about "Java Web Apps in the PaaS
> cloud":
>
> PaaS, for anyone who does't know, is a code name for uploading a java
> "application" (servlet, Play app) to "the cloud", without worrying about
> server installations.
> I did some research on PaaS options a few months ago, and I could demo
> Heroku, and talk a bit about Amazon Beanstalk and Google App Engine.
>
> I really don't have any experience with Beanstalk or App Engine beyond what
> I read, so the focus would be Heroku (a demo of installing a Play app on
> Heroku ... could go well with my earlier Play demo)
>
> Since we're getting quite full (we already have 6 confirmed
> talks<http://jjtv-tools1.eventbrite.com>,

Ron Gross

Feb 8, 2012, 4:56:07 AM2/8/12
to jj...@googlegroups.com
Cool, so I'm thinking we can save this to next time, to avoid overload ... but I would be very much interested in hearing about those techs.
The good, the bad and the ugly.

Tomer Gabel

Feb 21, 2012, 4:48:27 AM2/21/12
to jj...@googlegroups.com
Voting up for a Heroku demo - any insight into this methodology would be welcome.