Article about the conference in the Forward

Louise Chatlynne

Jun 19, 2013, 10:53:53 AM6/19/13
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
Article in Forward about the North American Chevra Kadisha and Cemetary Conference.  I didn't know we were such radicals!
http://forward.com/articles/178613/unlikely-radicals-take-aim-at-corporate-jewish-bur/
________
Louise Chatlynne

Dr. Joel Etra

Jun 19, 2013, 11:23:21 PM6/19/13
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com, jewish-...@googlegroups.com
This article was very poorly done and by no means captures the spirit of the meeting. They also got Jerry Schwell's name wrong.

Dr Joel Etra

Sent from my iPad

stuart.kelman

Jun 20, 2013, 12:35:13 AM6/20/13
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
we're not!!

stuart

cil...@comcast.net

Jun 19, 2013, 11:07:06 PM6/19/13
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com

And here is the link to my response to the Forward article:

http://www.jewishjournal.com/religiousandreform/item/attention_forward_we_arent_that_radical

Susan

Jun 20, 2013, 8:11:56 PM6/20/13
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
This is a terrible article and does a disservice to Chevra Kadishas all over N America. A carefully written letter to the editor with copies to all of us is called for ASAP. Herb Rosenberg/Calgary/Alberta...I have been doing tahara for more than 20 years.

Michael Slater

Jun 21, 2013, 9:58:30 AM6/21/13
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
I sent a letter to the editor on behalf of the board of Kavod v'Nichum.  I also sent a longer, more detailed letter to the author, laying out all the points he got wrong.  I encourage you, or anyone else who is similarly motivated, to send a letter to the editor:

You can write directly to the author at his published email address:

I encourage you to also post comments to the article online.

You could also email the managing editor, Larry Cohler-Esses, whose publicly visible email address is:

When Josh Nathan-Kazis was protesting to me that he hadn't made more than one factual error that he knew of (?!), he cc'd Mr. Cohler-Esses on the email.

So, let's all go ahead and tell them how badly they messed this up.  Maybe they'll hear a chorus when they're deaf to one or two isolated voices.

malk...@aol.com

Jun 21, 2013, 2:13:38 PM6/21/13
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
hi,
i also agree that david or stu or michael and the board should write either an op-ed or a letter to the editor.  the writer of the article was rude, cavalier, and totally misunderstanding of who are and the sacred work we perform.

on another issue -- does  anyone have a reading for a child which can be read during the taharah in place of the readings from the song of songs, which we feel are inappropriate.
thank you.
kol tuv,
malke frank
new community chevra kadisha of greater pittsburgh

sandra Ottenberg

Jun 23, 2013, 10:03:27 AM6/23/13
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com, j_s...@hotmail.com, Fred Weil

Yes I agree that an letter should be sent to the editor.   I was sitting next to him at one point and he asked me do I belong to any other organization’s and I told him I was president of my Hadassah chapter.  So I think I am the Hadassah person who he addressed in the article.

Sandy Ottenberg

Congregation B’Nai Israel, Toms River , NJ(I have been doing Tahara for over 40 years.)

herb rosenberg

Jun 23, 2013, 12:47:36 PM6/23/13
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
Michael Slater please email a copy of your letter to all of us. Herb Rosenberg

David Zinner

Jun 28, 2013, 2:20:59 PM6/28/13
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
Did you miss any of the articles about the Philadelphia conference? Leibel Fein, Michael Slater, Susan Barnes, Rabbi Daniel Wasserman and the reporters from the Exponent and the Forward. Read them allhttp://jewish-funerals.org/post-conference-reactions

David Zinner