JetS3t's compatibility with Swift?

Sean

Apr 30, 2012, 6:21:32 PM4/30/12
to JetS3t Users
I am using JetS3t to develop my application (and S3 is my storage
engine), and right now I am think of move off S3 to a private Swift
cluster.

But I spotted several online discussions talking that Swift and JetS3t
are not natively competible. I have two questions
1) Is there a long term commitment that JetS3t and Swift work together
from either of the community?
2) Should the answer to 1 be yes, how mature /stable that promise is
at the current stage?

https://bitbucket.org/jmurty/jets3t/issue/96/object-metadata-case-sensitivity
https://answers.launchpad.net/swift/+question/162938

(For the record, I asked the same question on the Swift group as well.
https://answers.launchpad.net/swift/+question/195456)

James Murty

May 1, 2012, 8:25:43 AM5/1/12
to jets3t...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Swift compatibility isn't something that I or other JetS3t
contributors have focussed on. So while JetS3t may work with the
S3-like Swift interface, there are likely to be incompatibilities and
edge cases where it fails -- if it works at all.

What is probably needed is a Swift-focused service implementation,
like the one JetS3t has for Google Storage, that will smooth out the
inevitable quirks in the S3-like interface.

I am not aware of any initiative to create or maintain such an
implementation on the JetS3t side, which means that right now the
answer to your first and most important question is: No.

If someone would like to take on this job, or provide general patches
to JetS3t to improve compatibility with Swift, this help would be very
welcome. But unless/until we have some Swift enthusiasts on board I
can't recommend using JetS3t for your goals.

Hope this helps,
James