Add an "In Review" state to JIRA?

James Dumay

Jun 30, 2016, 6:39:07 PM6/30/16
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Blue Ocean had previously had an "In Review" state in JIRA to track which changes are in development but are ready for review as a PR when we had these tickets in a private JIRA.

The developers working on Blue Ocean would like to introduce it again so we  have a more accurate state for where each other's work is at. For the design work the In Review state means that a design is "ready enough" (proposed, rather than just spitballing) to receive input from the wider community. In that last case we would be using this status to facilitate feedback on UX with the community.

Would there be any objections to adding this to the JENKINS project's JIRA workflow? There should be minimal/no impact for other users.

Request is being tracked on https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/INFRA-802

Thanks,
James

Daniel Beck

Jul 1, 2016, 7:42:43 AM7/1/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
How would the workflow change? I.e. what state transitions will be added/removed?

James Dumay

Jul 3, 2016, 9:33:13 PM7/3/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
You would just get an additional optional "In Review" transition. Everything else would be the same.

Michael Neale

Jul 3, 2016, 10:07:10 PM7/3/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
Given that most tickets/changes spend some time in PR-review state, this is exactly what in-review is for, so no real change for anyone.
They can choose to place an issue "in review" to save people thinking that there is still code being written for it (or they can leave it as is).

Ulli Hafner

Jul 4, 2016, 2:32:20 PM7/4/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
A transition for each existing state?
And which transitions are available for the new state?

It might help to see the output of the state diagram of the corresponding Jira instances.

R. Tyler Croy

Jul 7, 2016, 3:57:49 PM7/7/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
(replies inline)

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016, Ulli Hafner wrote:

> A transition for each existing state?
> And which transitions are available for the new state?

Our JIRA workflow is kind of silly as is, but here you go :)

<http://imgur.com/a/dZhGc>

- R. Tyler Croy

Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>

% gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 3F51E16F
signature.asc

Daniel Beck

Jul 7, 2016, 5:01:47 PM7/7/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 07.07.2016, at 21:57, R. Tyler Croy <ty...@monkeypox.org> wrote:
>
> <http://imgur.com/a/dZhGc>

Is one of the 'Start Review' supposed to be 'Stop Review'?

James Dumay

Jul 7, 2016, 8:59:43 PM7/7/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
@daniel - yes, looks like an error.

Any major objections?

Daniel Beck

Jul 8, 2016, 5:13:59 AM7/8/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 08.07.2016, at 02:59, James Dumay <jdu...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> Any major objections?

To clarify, I can go from…

In Review -> Open
Open -> In Review

In Review -> In Progress
In Progress -> In Review

In Review -> Resolved

Is that correct? The visualization is not entirely clear.

Ulli Hafner

Jul 8, 2016, 5:40:42 AM7/8/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
You then should also add the two review transitions (in and out) to reopened.

Is the verified state required? I think it could be removed.

Ulli Hafner

Jul 8, 2016, 5:51:39 AM7/8/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Am 08.07.2016 um 02:59 schrieb James Dumay <jdu...@cloudbees.com>:

@daniel - yes, looks like an error.

Any major objections?

No, I think it is no big difference for the non-blue-ocean developers.

(But I think you should check on your own in a couple of weeks if the new state really helps you in your development process. From a lot of other projects I have the experience that such states (that duplicate work) will not be used with the same enthusiasm after a while)

On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 7:01:47 AM UTC+10, Daniel Beck wrote:

> On 07.07.2016, at 21:57, R. Tyler Croy <ty...@monkeypox.org> wrote:
>
>    <http://imgur.com/a/dZhGc>

Is one of the 'Start Review' supposed to be 'Stop Review'?

Thorsten Scherler

Jul 8, 2016, 10:40:19 AM7/8/16
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

I am not 100% but I believe you can have kanban or scrum dashboards on a project level. Meaning we could limit it to only the blueocean dashboard.

salu2

Jesse Glick

Jul 8, 2016, 11:09:19 AM7/8/16
to Jenkins Dev
On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 6:39 PM, James Dumay <jdu...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
> There should be minimal/no impact for other users.

Well, if such a state were available, I for one would use it
elsewhere. For our internal JIRA we have such a state and it is useful
to indicate that there is a PR filed for the issue, and I as the
developer consider the work done unless someone objects to the PR, so
we are are just waiting for some positive reviews followed by merge
and release. If the reviews are negative and demand significant
rework, then it goes back to In Progress.

Stephen Connolly

Jul 8, 2016, 12:09:16 PM7/8/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1 (and same jira. it has been very helpful for us)

Thorsten Scherler

Jul 8, 2016, 7:45:20 PM7/8/16
to Jenkins Developers
Yeah, I admit it is really helpful to indicate "I think it is ready, do you?" as you describe Jesse.

salu2

James Dumay

Jul 10, 2016, 3:45:43 AM7/10/16
to Jenkins Developers
Uli we used this status to great effect on our JIRA before we moved the project into OSS - so I believe we will be happy to have it back :)

If it causes any detriment to other project members we can re-evaluate it again.