Fine-grained Artifactory upload permissions

Daniel Beck

Aug 20, 2016, 8:18:33 AM8/20/16
to Jenkins Developers, jenkin...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
Hi everyone,

I just enabled fine-grained Artifactory upload permissions, limiting who is allowed to upload which artifacts.

What does this mean for you as Jenkins plugin developers?

Ideally, nothing more than a quick PR to this repository before you release any particular plugin or other component _for the first time_:

https://github.com/jenkins-infra/repository-permissions-updater/

I initialized permissions based on uploads since January 2014, so if you've uploaded a plugin or other artifact since then, you should be in the list of authorized uploaders (data you can check is in that repo). As this wasn't a fully automated process, and there's a number of special snowflakes in the repository, it's possible I accidentally left you out. In that case, please file a PR as described in that repository's README, and we'll get you set up.

A few notes:

- I'm still working through recent hosting requests. If your plugin is unreleased, there is no corresponding permissions file, so uploads may fail.
- Documentation beyond this email and the repository README does not yet exist, but it will soon.

If you have any questions, suggestions, or urgently need a permission to release something, let me know -- via email, directly or in this thread, or contact danielbeck in #jenkins on Freenode.

Daniel

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 22, 2016, 5:30:20 AM8/22/16
to Daniel Beck, Jenkins Developers, jenkin...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
Would it be possible to add a similar permission check to components outside the Jenkins repo?
E.g. https://github.com/kohsuke/winsw

Michael Neale

Aug 22, 2016, 5:38:34 AM8/22/16
to Jenkins Developers, jenkin...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, m...@beckweb.net
How will this work with multi module projects?

One needs to be created for each plugin that makes it up? If it tries, then there is a partial deploy before a failure happens I expect?

Michael Neale

Aug 22, 2016, 5:42:19 AM8/22/16
to Jenkins Developers, jenkin...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, m...@beckweb.net

Daniel Beck

Aug 22, 2016, 7:19:54 AM8/22/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, jenkin...@lists.jenkins-ci.org

> On 22.08.2016, at 11:38, Michael Neale <mne...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> How will this work with multi module projects?
>
> One needs to be created for each plugin that makes it up? If it tries, then there is a partial deploy before a failure happens I expect?

For now, yes.

The format could support having multiple artifacts per file, making management of multi-module projects easier, I just need to modify the tool accordingly.

But when introducing a new module, right now there's the risk of that not being prepared in permissions, and failing.

Michael Neale

Aug 22, 2016, 6:07:13 PM8/22/16
to Jenkins Developers, jenkin...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, m...@beckweb.net
I see the wiki has been updated. If someone opens a HOSTING ticket would it make sense to have the permission granted as part of that?

Daniel Beck

Aug 22, 2016, 7:43:35 PM8/22/16
to Michael Neale, Jenkins Developers, jenkin...@lists.jenkins-ci.org

> On 23.08.2016, at 00:07, Michael Neale <mne...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> I see the wiki has been updated. If someone opens a HOSTING ticket would it make sense to have the permission granted as part of that?

Definitely, but this requires extending both JIRA (new fields) and the bot (new actions, very different from anything it does so far), so it's probably going to take a while. So I added it to the docs for now.

Tracking as INFRA-904