Update center now independent from Nexus Maven index

Daniel Beck

Apr 28, 2020, 7:13:10 AM4/28/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi everyone,

The main problem delaying the availability of plugins through the update center (even when everything was running smoothly) was always that the update center generator used a Nexus Maven index to enumerate available plugins. This central feature survived all previous attempts at optimizing this tool.

A long-standing problem with that index is that it is only periodically generated, and generation currently takes 10-15 minutes. Additionally, it looks like a regression in Artifactory 1-2 months ago resulted in it no longer reliably picking up all artifacts uploaded before the current index generation run, sometimes causing delays of up to an hour. While perhaps mildly annoying for regular releases, these delays started blocking the announcement of security fixes.

This morning I merged a change that reimplements this code using the Artifactory REST API. Besides being always up to date, this change halved the runtime of the update center generator. Plugin releases should in most cases now be available in the update center metadata within 5 minutes, instead of the previous 15-30 minutes. There should be no notable changes in output.

If you encounter any problems, please file an INFRA issue and ping me there.

Daniel

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 28, 2020, 9:52:52 AM4/28/20
to Jenkins Developers
Congrats Daniel!

It is great to see such major time improvement, it will help us to speedup delivery of plugin changes and improvements to the plugin site we need for other stories.
I tested the new update site while it was in the pull request, and it worked well for me.

Best regards.
Oleg

Mark Waite

Apr 28, 2020, 7:25:36 PM4/28/20