Proposal: Adding support resources to jenkinsci GitHiub and jenkins.io

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 16, 2019, 6:41:47 AM7/16/19
to JenkinsCI Developers
Hi all,

Problem: we receive a lot of support requests in GitHub issues and Jenkins JIRA, but we do not provide support in common meaning in the community (no SLAs, no guaranteed response, and so on). We have some common templates for replying to such support requests, which vary from kind messages to "Jenkins JIRA is not a support site => Closed". It would be great to have a page which refers the "Jenkins support policy" and ideally to automate referencing.

Proposal: Let's create an explicit "Support policy" somewhere. This policy could explicitly set expectations that we do not provide support with SLA, with all references to community channels (chats, mailing lists) where the users can get support.

Implementation:
WDYT? Feedback in the https://github.com/jenkinsci/.github/pull/14 wording would be also appreciated. It can be used as a response template for other resources in the future.

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

Lloyd Chang

Jul 16, 2019, 7:16:10 AM7/16/19
to Jenkins Developers
support.jenkins.io is the logical place I would look up for support but that site doesn’t exist (yet).

Richard Bywater

Jul 16, 2019, 7:30:23 AM7/16/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Just one thought only partially related to your proposal is that on the Commercial Support page, should there be some kind of disclaimer stating that being listed there in no way is to be viewed as endorsement by the Jenkins project? (Perhaps that's just something to roll into a migration into a nicer looking page that isn't on Confluence)

Richard.

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 16, 2019, 7:34:12 AM7/16/19
to Jenkins Developers
support.jenkins.io is the logical place I would look up for support but that site doesn’t exist (yet).

I would rather think about jenkins.io/support so that we do not need to create a new site for it
It does not exist either, but it provides a very reassuring Angry Jenkins image. Could be used as is (not serious).

Just one thought only partially related to your proposal is that on the Commercial Support page, should there be some kind of disclaimer stating that being listed there in no way is to be viewed as endorsement by the Jenkins project? (Perhaps that's just something to roll into a migration into a nicer looking page that isn't on Confluence)

Agreed, it would be a nice improvement for the page.
Jenkins project is vendor-neutral

BR, Oleg