EC2 Windows AMI owner

Richard Downer

Apr 25, 2012, 10:52:52 AM4/25/12
to jcl...@googlegroups.com
All,

I discovered today that Amazon have moved all their Windows AMIs to a new owner ID - 801119661308. You must include this owner ID in the PROPERTY_EC2_AMI_QUERY to be able to see the Windows AMIs. For example:

      Properties overrides = new Properties();
      overrides.put(AWSEC2Constants.PROPERTY_EC2_AMI_QUERY, "owner-id=801119661308;state=available;image-type=machine");
      context = ContextBuilder.newBuilder("aws-ec2")
         .credentials(getIdentity(), getCredential())
         .overrides(overrides)
         .build(ComputeServiceContext.class);

The old ID - 206029621532 - still exists but only seems to contain some out-of-date Server 2003 images.

By the way - I note that neither of these IDs are in jclouds' default AMI query filter. Is this intentional, or should I submit a pull request to add the new ID?

Regards

Richard.

Adrian Cole

Apr 25, 2012, 10:55:21 AM4/25/12
to jcl...@googlegroups.com

good catch.  Does this id only apply to Windows amis? If so, lets add it to the list.  If not, lets replace the old one.

-A

Richard Downer

Apr 25, 2012, 11:04:34 AM4/25/12
to jcl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the new ID is Windows only.

After a bit of hunting around, here are all the owner IDs used, and the types of AMIs within, when I use the EC2 management console to list "Amazon Images":

137112412989 - Amazon Linux
013907871322 - SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
801119661308 - Windows
206029621532 - Windows (a couple of out-of-date AMIs)
206029621532 - Amazon VPC Network Address Translator
102837901569 - CloudFormation related

The Amazon Linux ID is in jclouds and is still there, so no change needed. I guess that last two are special purpose and probably shouldn't be added. Should we add the SUSE one as well? I assume that the hourly fee for the SUSE images will be higher to cover license and support costs, so the user may end up paying slightly more than they expect - but the same is true of Windows, too.

Richard.

--
Richard Downer • Lead Engineer • Cloudsoft Corporation • http://www.cloudsoftcorp.com
Skype richardcloudsoft • Twitter @FrontierTown

Adrian Cole

Apr 25, 2012, 11:07:31 AM4/25/12
to jcl...@googlegroups.com

I'd hold off on SuSe as each id adds time and requests to all using the default ami list.  At least until some user asks about it :)

-A

Richard Downer

Apr 25, 2012, 12:46:00 PM4/25/12
to jcl...@googlegroups.com

Adrian Cole

Apr 25, 2012, 1:03:17 PM4/25/12
to jcl...@googlegroups.com
thanks!

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Richard Downer