RS232 Communication problem between TC65 and other devices.

ItalyZZ

Mar 2, 2012, 7:04:37 AM3/2/12
to Cinterion Java enabled chips support
Hi guys, that's my problem:

i'm working on a integration between TC65T and another embedded
device (that's Bticino L4686SDK) via RS232 serial port.
I've tested my TC65T software communicating with a RS232 enabled PC:
all right.
The problem is that when i try to switch the RS232 connection to the
embedded device (as in production mode will be) it seems that the tc65
retreive nothing.

So:
- I'm sure the embedded device (L4686SDK) is working correctly (i'm
able to communicate with it via RS232 using a proprietary software and
a PC)
- I'm sure the TC65T software is working correctly (tested it with a
pc and putty terminal)
- Checked the RS232 connection specification (bps, databit and parity
bit)

Any comment? Suggestion? Is there any parameter or configuration i
left out??

Thankyou
Regards!

Ondřej Janovský

Mar 2, 2012, 7:07:01 AM3/2/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Do you have disabled CTS/RTS control in your device? What about your
RS232 configuration in JAVA - profile?

Oja

wils...@yahoo.com

Mar 2, 2012, 8:17:43 AM3/2/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
Hi
try to verify what are sending to PC from TC65 and compare to you must
received
to find what is fail, sending or receiving.

Thankyou
Regards!

ItalyZZ

Mar 2, 2012, 8:51:25 AM3/2/12
to Cinterion Java enabled chips support
> Do you have disabled CTS/RTS control in your device?
I can't set nothing about the RS232 connection in the embedded device
(it is 'closed' and not configurable). I can only follow the
specifications: they specify only bps/data/parity/stop, but nothing
about the FLOW CONTROL.

> What about your RS232 configuration in JAVA - profile?
I've set the TC65 bitrate once via AT-COMMAND. Nothing else about the
RS232 connection is set in the Java code. What do you intend for 'JAVA
-profile'??

Thank you
Bye

Ondřej Janovský

Mar 2, 2012, 9:10:39 AM3/2/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
String params =
"comm:com0;baudrate=115200;bitsperchar=8;stopbits=1;parity=none;autocts=on;autorts=on;blocking=off";
connector = (CommConnection) Connector.open(params);

You have to read WTK documentation for details.

I supposed, that you use JAVA in TC65T. Sorry, I am wrong.

Oja

ItalyZZ

Mar 2, 2012, 9:30:56 AM3/2/12
to Cinterion Java enabled chips support
You are not wrong. I'm using Java and my connection string was
"comm:com0;baudrate=115200;blocking=on".
I'm going to see the documentation to inspect the problem.

Thank you bye.

ItalyZZ

Mar 8, 2012, 6:59:13 AM3/8/12
to Cinterion Java enabled chips support
I've obtained more information from the hardware producer: they told
me:

------------------------------------
DB9F Pin utilized:
2 RX
3 TX
4 DTR -> it must be set to +Vcc
5 GND
7 RTS -> it must be set to -Vcc
Vcc=3 - 12V
-------------------------------------

What does it means in terms of JAVA CommConnector interface parameter
settings?
- baudrate [115200]
- bitsperchar [8]
- stopbits [1]
- parity [none]
- blocking [on] If on, wait for a full buffer when reading.
- autocts [on] If on, wait for the CTS line to be on before
writing.
- autorts [on] If on, turn on the RTS line when the input buffer is
not full. If off, the RTS line is always on.

Any suggestions?

Thankyou Guys

ejw

Mar 9, 2012, 5:44:52 AM3/9/12
to Cinterion Java enabled chips support
One set of informatiuon is hardware and the other software settings.

My first instinct on this would be to check the pins settings on the
connections. I have two test bed TC65s and the pin outputs are
different acros the devlopment board and the production module. I have
a wiring block between the two sets of pins so I can change the wires
over as required.

If the pins are OK, then try dropping Baud rates down. Having said
that incorrect baud rates will usually just give you garbage, rather
than nothing.

I am working from memory at the moment as that project isn't open, but
I don't remember using blocking.

ejw.
> On 2 Mar, 15:10, Ondøej Janovský <janovsky.ond...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > String params =
> > "comm:com0;baudrate=115200;bitsperchar=8;stopbits=1;parity=none;autocts=on; autorts=on;blocking=off";
> > connector = (CommConnection) Connector.open(params);
>
> > You have to read WTK documentation for details.
>
> > I supposed, that you use JAVA in TC65T. Sorry, I am wrong.
>
> > Oja

> > > I can't set nothing about the RS232 connection in the embedded device
> > > (it is 'closed' and not configurable). I can only follow the
> > > specifications: they specify only bps/data/parity/stop, but nothing
> > > about the FLOW CONTROL.

> > > I've set the TC65 bitrate once via AT-COMMAND. Nothing else about the
> > > RS232 connection is set in the Java code. What do you intend for 'JAVA
> > > -profile'??
>
> > > Thank you
> > > Bye

ItalyZZ

Mar 10, 2012, 6:19:25 AM3/10/12
to Cinterion Java enabled chips support
Thankyou ejw,

I'm quite sure the hardware pin setting is correct: i've correclty
tested the device RS232 communication with a propretary PC software
provided by the hardware producer (BTicino). It works fine, this
software is PC Windows .NET based and "closed source".

Certainly it's my fault, but i don't understand what " it must be set
to +Vcc " means in this context...

Bye

On 9 Mar, 11:44, ejw <supp...@virtualict.co.uk> wrote:
> One set of informatiuon is hardware and the other software settings.
>
> My first instinct on this would be to check the pins settings on the
> connections. I have two test bed TC65s and the pin outputs are
> different acros the devlopment board and the production module. I have
> a wiring block between the sets of pins so I can change the wires

ejw

Mar 10, 2012, 6:48:31 AM3/10/12
to Cinterion Java enabled chips support
Hi,

** WARNING!!!! This is purely old memories of making up serial cables
over 20 years ago!***

This is somewhat out of my area as I haven't done hardware connections
in years!

However, if I remember correctly this is a high/low setting? For a
connection to be 'up' it is at 12V and 'down' is 3V? The serial
connection monitors the Voltage and acts upon the change in voltage
level. For example switching to high would be a 'send' - back to low
low would be 'stop'. This, I think would be in the handshaking
specification, that is either software or hardware handshakes.

The two voltage pins are the Data Terminal Ready and Ready To Send,
which indicate the initial state? RX and TX for the data
transmissions are clear of voltage information.

If I am any where near right (a very long shot) then you have the Data
Terminal ready (to receive?) and the Ready to Send is low so you are
not ready to send.

Check handshaking, if that is wrong then you can't communicate!

Also try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232#Voltage_levels for
more information on voltage settings.

Hope that helps,

ejw

ItalyZZ

Mar 12, 2012, 12:22:45 PM3/12/12
to java...@googlegroups.com

I try to summarize the issue because this thread has become a little bit confused:

- I have to link a TC65 to another device (Bticino L4686SDK) via standard RS232 serial port.

- The L4686SDK RS232 interface specification is:

   ------------------------------------

   DB9F Pin utilized:

   2 RX

   3 TX

   4 DTR   -> it must be set to +Vcc

   5 GND

   7 RTS   -> it must be set to -Vcc

   Vcc=3 - 12V

   They explicity told me that the optically isolated hardware of the serial port need a power supply (in this way)

   -------------------------------------

- It’s all about a software configuration: they provide a windows form application that do the job. I’ve tested it using normal com port and a normal cable.

Now, the problem is:

- How to configure the TC65 Java environment to access programmatically this interface following the above specification (power supply, etc…)???

I know that you guyz have the solution!

Ondřej Janovský

Mar 12, 2012, 12:31:51 PM3/12/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
When you use TC65i chip, you can use:

 void setDCD(boolean signalState)
          Set the state of the DCD (Data Carrier Detect) signal of the connected COM port channel.
 void setDSR(boolean signalState)
          Set the state of the DSR (Data Set Ready) signal of the connected COM port channel.

from public interface CommConnectionControlLines
I think, that you can connect DSR(device) to TC65(DTR) and DCD from TC65 you can connect to CTS on device.
If you have old TC65, you have problem and you have to create some small interface circuit.

Ondrej

ItalyZZ

Mar 14, 2012, 6:38:17 AM3/14/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
At first sight this interface seems to permit control above the handshake signals setting or getting their state to ON or OFF.
The device i'm working to integrate does not use those signals but only SEND, RECEIVE and GROUND plus power supply provided by RTS (-) and DTR (+) pins.

I think this configuration mode is a kind of convention... It's very strange that is there not a way to communicate this way.

Ondřej Janovský

Mar 14, 2012, 6:42:58 AM3/14/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

if you have TC65i, I can try create simple aplication for test for your
device. Please, send me some info about your device protocol, I will try it.

Best regards
Ondrej

ItalyZZ

Mar 14, 2012, 11:16:13 AM3/14/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Ondrej,
   the device i'm using is a TC65T (http://www.cinterion.com/products/terminals/tc65t.html): is there really a difference compared to a TC65i in terms of SDK?
The other device (Bticino L4686SDK) communication protocol is 115200baud Data=8 Stop=1 Parity=none and power supply pin setting like this:
------------------------------------

   DB9F Pin utilized:

   2 RX

   3 TX

   4 DTR   -> it must be set to +Vcc

   5 GND

   7 RTS   -> it must be set to -Vcc

   Vcc=3 - 12V

    the optically isolated hardware of the serial port need a power supply (in this way)

   -------------------------------------

Ondřej Janovský

Mar 14, 2012, 11:31:51 AM3/14/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

please, try it command ATI in hyperterminal.

For my module, the command returns:

Cinterion
TC65i
REVISION 01.100

TC65 is old version, TC65i is new version. TC65 has not commands for RTS a DTR setting in SDK.
If you have TC65, you have to connect only TX, RX, GND between your device and TC65 and connect external power to your device, I suggest 5V DC.
I think, that TC65T has one pin on big connector, that can provide 2,9V. You can use it. Look for VDD pin on 24 pins connector.

3.10.8
VDD Supply
The VDD pin at the IO interface connector may be used for supplying external circuit devices or
applications and indicates the following states of the TC65 Terminal:
• VDD output voltage = 2.9V @ max. 50mA indicates Normal Operation mode or Airplane mode
• VDD output voltage = 0V indicates Power Down mode

ItalyZZ

Mar 15, 2012, 4:23:50 PM3/15/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
Hi Onderj, recap:

Solution A: (CommConnectionControlLines sw interface)

This is the AT information:
--------------------------------
SIEMENS
TC65
REVISION 03.000
-------------------------------
Are you sure that CommConnectionControlLines is not supported in that device?
I correctly see it in com.siemens.icm.io package...
Assuming that this function would be avaiable in this device (if not, ignore that), how is it possoble to set the DTR pin to +Vcc and the RTS pin to -Vcc using this interface:
    public void addListener(CommConnectionControlLinesListener listener);
    public boolean getDTR() throws IOException;
    public void setRING(boolean signalState) throws IOException;
    public void setDCD(boolean signalState) throws IOException;
    public void setDSR(boolean signalState) throws IOException;

------------------
Solution B (IO HW Interface VDD PIN)

I saw the TC65 Hw interface: IO interface VDD pin: number 19. Only one? Should not be two: + and - . (Forgive me but i'm not yet experienced dealing with electrical connection).

How do you inted to physically plug the pins:

- TC65(TX,RX,GND) to their respective otherDevice(TX,RX,GND) using standard RS232 cable

but what about :

- TC65(DTR, RTS) to their respective otherDevice(?,?) using what? (there is already a cable that occupies the RS232 port).

Thank you very much for your help
bye!

Ricardo Schmidt

Mar 16, 2012, 8:40:03 AM3/16/12
to java...@googlegroups.com

http://db.tt/Ib5vsqTf look this src. May help you

ItalyZZ

Mar 27, 2012, 7:48:44 AM3/27/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
I saw your source code (SPIConnector): what exactly should be the interesting part of code?
Thank you
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to javacint+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

ItalyZZ

Mar 27, 2012, 7:56:02 AM3/27/12
to java...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering about the possible solutions proposed by OndrejJanovsky... But no updates...
Suggestions?
Thank you guyz!