Security alarm for link house

Chan WK

Jun 30, 2004, 10:29:32 PM6/30/04
I intend to install a security alarm for two-storey link house which
is under renovation now.

Appreciate comments from all :

1) should I get the wired or wireless type? Pros & cons of each type?
2) what sort of features or protection should I ask for? Example, what
sort of sensors for windows, doors, roof?
3) approximately what price range?
4) any reputable supplier?

TIA.

Albert

Jun 30, 2004, 10:46:37 PM6/30/04
If you do not want the thing to run into $1000 +++ price,
search for (imported) infrared sensors, the local once dont last 1
year (inferior sensor windows).
Put them in stategic places, even can hook them up with batteries if
technical enough.
You can save hundreds this way.........

Albert

Tuckfook

Jul 1, 2004, 12:22:30 AM7/1/04
There is a locally made brand of infra red sensors coupled with flood light
fittings. These are supposed to be for export to US but a lot in the market
probably because they are not up to spec. or underwater.

Brand is Electripak, made in Malaysia. Excellent for DIY. Flood Light
connection can be used to turn on flood
light obviously, as well as sirens etc. Settingg for duration and
sensitivity. Bought 10 units over a year of continual operation, no regrets.
under Rm 50 per unit.

For link houses you'll need one inside the roof as that is where burglars
usually gain entry.

"Chan WK" <chan_w...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

S.H.Gan

Jul 1, 2004, 8:57:50 AM7/1/04
"Chan WK" <chan_w...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

1. By opting wireless system, you may save some money on the labour
and wiring. However, one must remember that wireless is not a totally
secure system, as it is bound to interference, and signal may be weak
if it has to go through many walls. Furthermore, wireless rely on
batteries, and when the batteries run low, you may experience frequent
false alarms. I would say go for a wired system instead.

2. Don't worry, they will give you a quote based on your house plan.
You can reduce/increase the sensors/detectors based on your budget,
but as a result, you may also make your house less/more secure.
For doors and windows, magnetic contacts are used. Vibration sensors,
on the other hand, are used for grills. Open spaces will utilise the
infrared detectors, or the dual-tech infrared which incorporates
microwave technology for reliability and to reduce false alarms,
especially from pets. Infrared will also be used in roof. The system
is also capable of calling to (mobile) phones or even CMS service in
the event of an alarm. A GSM module is also available if you are
afraid of your phone line getting cut by thieves.

3. Price will depend on the size of your house, how many doors,
windows, grills, etc. Magnetic contact is priced at the range of RM2X;
vibration sensor RM3X; infrared detector RM1XX; dual-tech infrared
detector RM3XX; siren RM2XX; 5-zone control panel + 1 keypad RM3XX;
additional keypad for master room RM1XX; installation + wiring approx
RM7XX-12XX for a double storey link house, depending on whether you
want the wiring concealed or not.

Note: Sorry for the XX's, as I do not know the exact price.

4. If you're based in Klang Valley, you may call 03-61856493/94 and
ask for Vincent. If you have a plan of your house, fax it to him to
get the quotation faster.

--
SH

Chan WK

Jul 1, 2004, 8:47:55 PM7/1/04
Thanks. Which firm is he attached to, or is he doing it "freelance"?

Tuckfook

Jul 2, 2004, 1:03:57 AM7/2/04
Be careful of " contractors "

Many work to set ideas and set plans which the burglars also know.
Household alarm layouts may also get into the wrong hands.

Deterrents are the most useful and most effective. Lights suddenly coming
on will usually make a thief think twice as he knows he's tripped a sensor
which may be connected to a phone/video/police notification etc.

The old and common system of alarm bells etc. are useless nowadays as almost
everybody ignores them.

If you really want to prevent entry from the ceiling, put
2"square/rectangular 'BRC' wire netting all around and wire tie them down.
That is usually the most effective.

Doors & windows should already have grills properly installed. Vibration
sensors are a waste of time and will cause more problems and bother than
anything else.Thieves will use a catapult to test the system and then do it
so often in the middle of the night that everyone gets fed up and you turn
the darned thing off.

Infra red & microwave sensors connected to bells will test your patience
when cats & rats, sometimes artificially introduced, trip them and wake the
whole neighbourhood every night, until you turn them off.

Whereas lights coming on and off would not be so much of a disturbance and
it also illuminates the intending intruder or welcomes you home late at
night also illuminating your home in case there are any intending robbers.

Fit as many as you like and it'll be cheaper than using an alarm contractor.
You'll also notice when the system is not working ...........unless you are
blind.

Whatever system you choose to use, remember that the alarm box has to have
one outside to be clearly audible. 2 part polyurethane foam poured into the
holes will absolutely silence it and in less than 15 secs. I have also seen
fast setting foams in aerosol cans, these will also be very effective.

So there you are, from my experiences with alarms.

I now keep 4 pitbull bitches and a male. When bitch on heat, male is
useless but the females get ferocious. At other times, dogs act as a pack.
Now they can get poisoned but I hopefully have trained them not to take food
laying around. Lights come on and they go have a look ! pitbulls make very
little noise usually because their mouths are occupied with a chunk of the
intruder ; )

BTW if you puncture a small can of sardines ( small .25" hole) throw this
in for the dogs and most dogs will be busy all night trying to get at the
sardines. Put some sleeping pills into the sardines and they are rendered
useless .

Have fun.

"Chan WK" <chan_w...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Adria...@sanofi-synthelabo.com

Jul 2, 2004, 2:07:57 AM7/2/04

and thanks to your 'article', the 'robbers' also get extra tips... :)

Le présent message, ainsi que les pièces ou annexes qui s'y trouvent
éventuellement jointes, s'adressent exclusivement à celles des personnes
qu'ils désignent comme destinataires. Constituant de ce fait une
correspondance privée à caractère confidentiel, leur contenu est protégé
par le secret des correspondances émises, transmises ou reçues par la voie
des télécommunications. Si ce message électronique vous est parvenu
fortuitement, veuillez avoir l'obligeance de le détruire, puis d'en aviser
l'expéditeur dans les meilleurs délais.

The Information in this e-mail belongs to Sanofi-Synthelabo, is intended
for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of,
or reliance on, the contents of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by replying
back to the sending e-mail address, and delete this e-mail message from
your computer.
Archives of this list can be found at ftp://ftp.jaring.my/pub/archives/pcbase/

Hornbill

Jul 2, 2004, 11:57:31 AM7/2/04

Security alarm is but one of the three item on the list for effective
deterent
to the would be thief/theives.The other two being watch-dogs and grills.
With the three in place, you will be safe.

With alarm alone you can get frustrated by thieves who will try all kinds
of ways to trigger the alarms until you get fedup, switch off the alarm and
there they'll start to work.

"Chan WK" <chan_w...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I intend to install a security alarm for two-storey link house which
> is under renovation now.
>
> Appreciate comments from all :
>
> 1) should I get the wired or wireless type? Pros & cons of each type?

I will get a wired set. With wirelees alarm system, there is no way you can
find out when
your battery goes flat. May be there is one, an expensive one. Pay a bit
more, get the wired system. It's worth the ringgit.

> 2) what sort of features or protection should I ask for? Example, what
> sort of sensors for windows, doors, roof?

Be careful. Some thieves will try to get to the alarm first, cut off the
wire and thus
without power, your alarm will not sound even all your sensors are
triggered!
Get a second siren and hook it up in such a way that when the external siren
is
disconnected, the internal one will fire off.

Get one with a remote control arming that is fixed into your auto gate
remote control.
Very much more convinient than having you run in and out of your house to
arm and
disarm your system

S.H.Gan

Jul 2, 2004, 12:15:02 PM7/2/04
"Chan WK" <chan_w...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Thanks. Which firm is he attached to, or is he doing it "freelance"?

Ok, to tell you the truth, it's a company I'm working for. We have
more than 10 years of experience in security systems. The alarm and
autogate systems in the whole of Desa Sri Hartamas (>400 houses)
was installed by us (as sub contractor) in 1997. Just last month,
we have completed the installation of over 20 alarm systems (and
CCTV too) in UMW Corporation and its subsidiary companies in the
industrial park in Section 15, Shah Alam.

Vincent is in charge of the sales of alarm systems. As for me, I'm
more into the support of CCTV and DVR systems, hence I do not know
the exact price of the alarm parts. I don't have the authority to
quote you anyway.

The alarm industry is getting more and more competitive with all
these "freelancers" who can give you such cheap prices. But beware,
many of them run away after receiving payment without providing
after sales and service support, because they do not have the
"obligation" like a company do. And because of the "price war", we
are now concentrating our business more on CCTV, DVR, and Access
Control systems. We still do alarm systems, but on a much smaller
scale and not as active as we used to in the mid and late 90's.

--
SH

S.H.Gan

Jul 2, 2004, 12:40:43 PM7/2/04
"Tuckfook" <sp...@streamnyx.com> wrote in message

> Be careful of " contractors "
>
> Many work to set ideas and set plans which the burglars also know.
> Household alarm layouts may also get into the wrong hands.

Most of the set up and configuration of the alarm system is pretty standard
anyway. We have hundreds of alarm plans of our customers. They've never
question anything on that.

> Deterrents are the most useful and most effective. Lights suddenly coming
> on will usually make a thief think twice as he knows he's tripped a sensor
> which may be connected to a phone/video/police notification etc.

So is an alarm. It mainly works as a deterrent.

> The old and common system of alarm bells etc. are useless nowadays as
almost
> everybody ignores them.

But at least there is some kind of a notification alert that the alarm
system
has triggered. Your nearby neighbours should have taken a look, unless you
have one that doesn't care at all.

> If you really want to prevent entry from the ceiling, put
> 2"square/rectangular 'BRC' wire netting all around and wire tie them down.
> That is usually the most effective.
>
> Doors & windows should already have grills properly installed. Vibration
> sensors are a waste of time and will cause more problems and bother than
> anything else.Thieves will use a catapult to test the system and then do
it
> so often in the middle of the night that everyone gets fed up and you turn
> the darned thing off.
>
> Infra red & microwave sensors connected to bells will test your patience
> when cats & rats, sometimes artificially introduced, trip them and wake
the
> whole neighbourhood every night, until you turn them off.

As I've mentioned, the dual-tech type is meant for reducing unnecessary
false alarms from small moving objects. Your house must have to be very
dirty to have so many rats running around every night.

> Whereas lights coming on and off would not be so much of a disturbance
and
> it also illuminates the intending intruder or welcomes you home late at
> night also illuminating your home in case there are any intending robbers.

How would this prevent a thief from coming during the day?

> Fit as many as you like and it'll be cheaper than using an alarm
contractor.
> You'll also notice when the system is not working ...........unless you
are
> blind.

You certainly will notice it when you found your house has already been
broken into.

> Whatever system you choose to use, remember that the alarm box has to have
> one outside to be clearly audible. 2 part polyurethane foam poured into
the
> holes will absolutely silence it and in less than 15 secs. I have also
seen
> fast setting foams in aerosol cans, these will also be very effective.

Yeah, the thief will have to climb up to your walls and hang around there
exposing himself to pour that foam into the siren box.

> So there you are, from my experiences with alarms.
>
> I now keep 4 pitbull bitches and a male. When bitch on heat, male is
> useless but the females get ferocious. At other times, dogs act as a pack.
> Now they can get poisoned but I hopefully have trained them not to take
food
> laying around. Lights come on and they go have a look ! pitbulls make
very
> little noise usually because their mouths are occupied with a chunk of the
> intruder ; )
>
> BTW if you puncture a small can of sardines ( small .25" hole) throw this
> in for the dogs and most dogs will be busy all night trying to get at the
> sardines. Put some sleeping pills into the sardines and they are rendered
> useless .

An alarm system's main job is to alert the owner and the surrounding area
that a premise has been broken into, or is experiencing some trouble. The
securing of your house is the job of a good lock. If a thief really have the
intention to rob your house, he'll find a way through anyway. It all depends
on how badly the thief wanted it, and whether it's worth all the trouble to
break into your house. There is always a way to get through something. It's
just like a safe, do you think it is really TOTALLY safe?

--
SH

I hate spam

Jul 3, 2004, 12:02:07 AM7/3/04
> But at least there is some kind of a notification alert that the alarm
> system
> has triggered. Your nearby neighbours should have taken a look, unless you
> have one that doesn't care at all.

Very sorry to say, most neighbours do not care at all. In fact they will
complain about the noise !

> As I've mentioned, the dual-tech type is meant for reducing unnecessary
> false alarms from small moving objects. Your house must have to be very
> dirty to have so many rats running around every night.

Rats, cats, birds etc. will find their way into ceilings irrespective of how
clean you or your neighbourhood is. Only newly finished projects will not
have them for a little while.

> How would this prevent a thief from coming during the day?

Like I mentioned before, nobody will take notice especiall if everybody else
is off at work !

A thief will trigger the alarm for a few times then move in to break into
the house. They pretend to be fixing the alarm but in fact are disabling
it. A quick squirt of foam and it's done.

Daytime break-ins are almost impossible to prevent.

> > Fit as many as you like and it'll be cheaper than using an alarm
> contractor.
> > You'll also notice when the system is not working ...........unless you
> are
> > blind.
>
> You certainly will notice it when you found your house has already been
> broken into.

Most people do not test their alarms. By squirting nitric acid into the
alarm box, it will corrode all wires in a few days and the siren no longer
works. The test panel will indicate that there is no fault unless you
actually test the siren. Some people don't because of the noise.

With lights, every night the system is tested !

> Yeah, the thief will have to climb up to your walls and hang around there
> exposing himself to pour that foam into the siren box.

It's simple, takes 15-30 secs. and they dress and pretend they are servicing
the system as well as doing it in broad daylight so nobody will think twice.
It's being done all the time.

> An alarm system's main job is to alert the owner and the surrounding area
> that a premise has been broken into, or is experiencing some trouble. The
> securing of your house is the job of a good lock. If a thief really have
the
> intention to rob your house, he'll find a way through anyway. It all
depends
> on how badly the thief wanted it, and whether it's worth all the trouble
> break into your house. There is always a way to get through something.
It's
> just like a safe, do you think it is really TOTALLY safe?
>

> --
> SH

You are right, in principle it's meant to do that but unfortunately, in
practice.............

A good neighbourhood is important. Flashy houses attract intruders.

Get everyone together and employ a good security firm/guard for 24 hrs.
surveillance as well as a simple household alarm. Keep a couple of Spitz
(dogs) and invite your neighbours for BBQ etc.

nswong

Jul 3, 2004, 2:50:12 AM7/3/04
"I hate spam" <sp...@streamnyx.com> wrote in message

> Very sorry to say, most neighbours do not care at all. In fact they
will
> complain about the noise !

Nearly all of my neighbours will pretended they don't know when
somebody throw stone to their house at midnight.

I do think it's a good way to test the safety of an area before move
in, don't ever buy a house that nobody will come out even their house
are under "stone storm".

I'm serious about this. I do chase them when I newly move back to my
hometown, after that they pay a visit to my house biweekly. Police
here are useless, once they even refuse to bring two guys I catch to
police station.

I do regret not taking advice of my neighbours by pretending don't
know at the beggining. By the time I try to pretend I don't know, it
already too late. They will break our window glass, and stay outside
asking me to chase them. At the end when I go to extreme by searching
though all the nearby area, and announce to everybody I meet that will
cut off their hand whenever I saw them. This solve the problem, they
don't appear again, not even to other houses.

To be honest, I do using binoculars at night try to recognise their
face. And block some guys they look to my house when pass by at mid
night. I'm really going to kill them without knowing by other, if I
know who they are.

My conclusion are due to our useless police, a lot of good guys got no
ways out and had to kill those bad guys. I know I can't called myself
as good, but compare with other guy, I don't think I'm bad.

> Get everyone together and employ a good security firm/guard for 24
hrs.
> surveillance as well as a simple household alarm.

I do come across quite a lot of safety problem when I move back to my
home town. At first I'm thinking of moving out, but from what I read
in newspaper, everywhere are same in Malaysia now. I don't really can
migrate to other country now, so what I do now are starting to build a
new house in defensive way.

I'm also in the progress of setup a self sustainable community also,
inside will include all daily services we need, so most of the time
the resident there don't need to go out except for work. My plan are
the whole area will surround by a deep trench, there will be only an
entry and an exit point check for ID in a "whitelist" before passing
are allow. It will take a long time to achieve this due to the
resource available to me by now, but I do believe I can make it.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

S.H.Gan

Jul 3, 2004, 6:46:08 AM7/3/04
"I hate spam" <sp...@streamnyx.com> wrote in message

> Very sorry to say, most neighbours do not care at all. In fact they will
> complain about the noise !

I'm sorry to hear that you have selfish neighbours. This usually happens
in neighbourhoods of the higher-middle and upper classes.

> Rats, cats, birds etc. will find their way into ceilings irrespective of
how
> clean you or your neighbourhood is. Only newly finished projects will not
> have them for a little while.

True. Inrared detectors are not meant to be installed INSIDE the roof. Not
only it can be triggered by passing rats, it's performance can also be
affected
by the extreme heat in the roof during daytime, especially in our country.

> > How would this prevent a thief from coming during the day?
> >

> Like I mentioned before, nobody will take notice especiall if everybody
else
> is off at work !

But at least you know your house is broken into when the alarm system calls
you on your mobile phone (Unless thief cut your telephone line). You can
then call your caring neighbour (if you have one) to take a look at what is
happening. This is why knowing your neighbours and having a good
relationship
with them is important.

> A thief will trigger the alarm for a few times then move in to break into
> the house. They pretend to be fixing the alarm but in fact are disabling
> it. A quick squirt of foam and it's done.
>
> Daytime break-ins are almost impossible to prevent.

<snipped...>

> Most people do not test their alarms. By squirting nitric acid into the

That is their fault to not test it. If you live in a high-crime area,
regular
checks, at least weekly, are very important to test your alarm.

> alarm box, it will corrode all wires in a few days and the siren no longer
> works. The test panel will indicate that there is no fault unless you
> actually test the siren. Some people don't because of the noise.

It is getting more common for people to install an additional siren that
is not visible or exposed.

You don't have set off your siren so long to test it. Simply press the
panic button on the keypad, and the moment the siren goes off, press
your code to deactivate it. It's that simple. Not even 5 secs.

> With lights, every night the system is tested !

Agree, but the sensor light has to work hand-in-hand with the alarm
system to be really effective. Otherwise, at night, everyone is already
asleep. How would a light at night scare them away when, according to you,
they are so brave even at day to break in?

> > Yeah, the thief will have to climb up to your walls and hang around
there
> > exposing himself to pour that foam into the siren box.
>
> It's simple, takes 15-30 secs. and they dress and pretend they are
servicing
> the system as well as doing it in broad daylight so nobody will think
twice.
> It's being done all the time.

That's why the siren box has to be installed as high as possible at places
that is beyond the easy reach of people. If you have a balcony with grills,
it will be installed in the balcony area. We even have customers who
insisted
on installing the siren box at the 3rd level of their house. We had to use
a fire ladder to install that.

> > An alarm system's main job is to alert the owner and the surrounding
area
> > that a premise has been broken into, or is experiencing some trouble.
The
> > securing of your house is the job of a good lock. If a thief really have
> the
> > intention to rob your house, he'll find a way through anyway. It all
> depends
> > on how badly the thief wanted it, and whether it's worth all the trouble
> > break into your house. There is always a way to get through something.
> It's
> > just like a safe, do you think it is really TOTALLY safe?
> >

> > --
> > SH
>
> You are right, in principle it's meant to do that but unfortunately, in
> practice.............
>
> A good neighbourhood is important. Flashy houses attract intruders.

I can't agree more with you on this one.

> Get everyone together and employ a good security firm/guard for 24 hrs.
> surveillance as well as a simple household alarm. Keep a couple of Spitz
> (dogs) and invite your neighbours for BBQ etc.

Employing security firm/guard will only happen if your neighbourhood is:
- located at a high-risk area.
- located at an higher-middle or upper class area.
This is normally the case.

I agree that having an alarm system will not really prevent the thief
from breaking in, as there are ways to get through.

But I don't think that we should not do anything. At least, we should
try our best within our means to make it harder for the thieves to break
in. A thief would not really try to break in to a hard target when they
can find an easier place to break into. Unless your house really attracts
them. If the theif really breaks in even after you have done all you can,
then it is just too bad. At least you tried, rather than making your
house an easy target for all of them, be they the petty thief, or the
intelligent ones.

--
SH