Re: Question on DNS server

Message has been deleted

SlapDeth

Aug 20, 2004, 1:44:49 PM8/20/04
I don't think setting DNS of other ISP will work. I haven't tried it,
but you can try it yourself.

soo...@time.net.my (sooncf) wrote in message news:<762f0bb3.04081...@posting.google.com>...
> I found that that TMnet (on my connection)
> is very slow when openning a new page,
> but download speed is OK (14KByte/sec).
>
> Maybe that is because many people using TMnet
> and if many people access the DNS server at the same time
> to resolve the address than it become slow?
>
> Maybe I can set the DNS manually to DNS of other internet provider?
> but still using TMnet's connection?

nswong

Aug 20, 2004, 5:42:46 PM8/20/04
Hi sooncf,

> Maybe I can set the DNS manually to DNS of other internet provider?
> but still using TMnet's connection?

In Unix, we can set it in the way that the host name will resolve from
the local host table, but I'm not sure will this work for Windows.
From my impression, Microsoft don't like to follow standard set by
other.

IIRC, it's valid to use DNS server other then your ISP. The problem
are can you find an open DNS server that will not limit it service
just to the IP from their domain?

--

Regards,
Wong

Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

doubleukay

Aug 20, 2004, 9:31:15 PM8/20/04
On 21/8/2004 7:42 AM, nswong wrote:

> Hi sooncf,

> In Unix, we can set it in the way that the host name will resolve from
> the local host table, but I'm not sure will this work for Windows.
> From my impression, Microsoft don't like to follow standard set by
> other.

Hmm since when the hosts table is a standard? :) Anyway, they do have
one, in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts if you're using Win2k and
above.

> IIRC, it's valid to use DNS server other then your ISP. The problem
> are can you find an open DNS server that will not limit it service
> just to the IP from their domain?

You can try Jaring [192.228.128.20], Time [203.121.16.85], ARCnet
[203.115.225.25], or my favorite cuz it's easy to remember, Genuity
[4.2.2.4] (USA).

--
Regards,
wK (www.doubleukay.com)

nswong

Aug 21, 2004, 7:46:59 PM8/21/04
Hi doubleukay,

> Hmm since when the hosts table is a standard? :)

I'm not academic guy, but a practitioner. IIRC, at year 1993, in a
software banking project I join, the 3 Unix variant and 1 TCP/IP stack
provider do implement exactly in the same way. This included the Host
table format, and API. I know about this because I'm the one who setup
the whole TCP/IP network for development team and doing the
programming for the TCP/IP communication part.

> Anyway, they do have
> one, in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts if you're using Win2k
and
> above.

Do Win2K resolve Host name to IP address using this table?

> You can try Jaring [192.228.128.20], Time [203.121.16.85], ARCnet
> [203.115.225.25], or my favorite cuz it's easy to remember, Genuity
> [4.2.2.4] (USA).

I set my Tmnet connection to:
Primary DNS: 192.228.128.20
Secondary DNS: 4.2.2.4

This work. But I don't know will this improve the access speed or
not, because all the while my Tmnet connection never give a stable
access speed.

Also, I'm not sure it's the Primary DNS work or Secondary DNS work, it
can be both work. :-)

Thanks for your DNS servers list. But anyway, when next time I setup
my server, I will setup and use my own Host table instead of using
external DNS server.

--

Regards,
Wong

Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

"doubleukay" <doubl...@devnull.doubleukay.com> wrote in message

soo...@tm.net.my

Aug 21, 2004, 8:30:35 PM8/21/04

"nswong" <nsw...@pd.jaring.my> wrote in message

> Hi doubleukay,
>
> > Hmm since when the hosts table is a standard? :)
>
> I'm not academic guy, but a practitioner. IIRC, at year 1993, in a
> software banking project I join, the 3 Unix variant and 1 TCP/IP stack
> provider do implement exactly in the same way. This included the Host
> table format, and API. I know about this because I'm the one who setup
> the whole TCP/IP network for development team and doing the
> programming for the TCP/IP communication part.
>
> > Anyway, they do have
> > one, in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts if you're using Win2k
> and
> > above.
>
> Do Win2K resolve Host name to IP address using this table?
>
> > You can try Jaring [192.228.128.20], Time [203.121.16.85], ARCnet
> > [203.115.225.25], or my favorite cuz it's easy to remember, Genuity
> > [4.2.2.4] (USA).
>
> I set my Tmnet connection to:
> Primary DNS: 192.228.128.20
> Secondary DNS: 4.2.2.4

You should set your Primary & secondary DNS to DNS of internet provider
which
has less people access.
In the above you set your DNS to Jaring's DNS
Jaring has also high number of user, so it's speed just like TMnet.

nswong

Aug 21, 2004, 11:28:25 PM8/21/04
Hi sooncf,

> > > You can try Jaring [192.228.128.20], Time [203.121.16.85],
ARCnet
> > > [203.115.225.25], or my favorite cuz it's easy to remember,
Genuity
> > > [4.2.2.4] (USA).
> >
> > I set my Tmnet connection to:
> > Primary DNS: 192.228.128.20
> > Secondary DNS: 4.2.2.4
>
> You should set your Primary & secondary DNS to DNS of internet
provider
> which
> has less people access.
> In the above you set your DNS to Jaring's DNS
> Jaring has also high number of user, so it's speed just like TMnet.

I think the number of users are not the main factor to access speed,
it's who providing the service that play the role. With same amount
of resource, a capable guy can make it 10 times faster.